Least favorite form?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chon-Ji... those 180 pivots are just hell to teach to white belts.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Sylo, Why don't you like Dan Gun. Do you know who Dan Gun Was? (supposedly)

I know the history behind the form. Its just not my favorite to perform. I like Do-san alot better. Alot of people hate it, but it was one of my favorites.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL, of all the things that are hell to teach them, the turns were not one of them in my experience... :)

It is extremely hard to make the turn and land properly in walking stance... especially for those who aren't really good at walking stance in the first place. That's a related issue to pivots, and it's what I was really talking about.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually like Keumgang, due to the fact that making the stomps is almost empowering. There is nothing like making the walls of a room shake when executing the form. In fact, I will judge a person's ability to pull this form off by how well they do that.
From a physiological aspect, doing the stomps makes your bones stronger. Another reason why I enjoy Kumgang. I know my body is getting stronger every time I do it.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chon-Ji... those 180 pivots are just hell to teach to white belts.

I agree for the same reason. I had a hard time adjusting to spinning 180 degrees and ending up in the correct stance and posture when I was a white belt.

I also think that it's good to get that out of the way early, so that students are used to uncomfortable transitions, as there are many of those.

Another reason it's my least favorite is that it's the least (for lack of a better term) graceful looking. It's just all about power in that form, or at least it seems that way to me. But then, that's why it's the whitebelt form....Chon Ji is not about being graceful, it's about a new beginning, heaven and earth...and it's not always graceful to start something new.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any form that is inherently cheesy. Like the first Jhoon Rhee form for example. I forget the name, but as they complete each movement, they recite some mantra like "Yes, Sir" or "Thank you, Sir". I despise cheerleader martial arts. This is coming from a guy that holds a dan from the old Jhoon Rhee lineage.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say my least favorite is Dalee Hyung Il Chong. The first move is a downward punch where your knee is to be just a paper thin width from the floor. So hard on my knees...