Leaping Crane

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use the elbow sandwich myself, and for good reason. Many don't do the elbow sandwich to the head, rather they do an elbow sandwich six inches behind the head, such as in this clip. If we are to break the mandible with the elbow sandwich, the elbow requires greater penetration into the body. Does anybody have some thoughts on practicing correct depth, rather than sandwiching mid air? Why do so many practice it this way when its a totally incorrect depth?

cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF
We don't use the sandwich at all unless the head comes to us.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I may ask, what don't you like about the clip?
First of all, the one legged stance with the cocking of the knee. You really don't need to pronounce your evading of the punch with a balancing act. Secondly, I don't like the pundulum motion of the BK to the ribs.
Sean

Jeff Harvey

White Belt
Reaction score
Firstly, the attack as I learned it was a running or lunging step through punch; so I am led to assume that you would see this attack coming. The first move(as I was taught anyhow) is to leap or hop into a one-legged stance with your right foot against your left knee while parrying the strike with your left hand and sending a chopping punch to the attacker's right kidney. The purpose of the hoop or leap as I understand it is to position yourself for the kick before your opponent can turn around. However, if the attack was simply a step-through punch, rather than a lunging punch, stepping would probably be necessary to avoid over-shooting your target.

Jeff Harvey

White Belt
Reaction score
The sandwich(again as I was shown) can be useful for unhinging the jaw, but is mostly applied as a setup for the extension to this technique. And I have seen the middle knuckle strike used more frequently than the chopping punch, I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Firstly, the attack as I learned it was a running or lunging step through punch; so I am led to assume that you would see this attack coming.
Then why are you doing the technique. If you see a guy running at you why would you wait for him to launch an offense so you can "defend" it. Step-through punches that come from the Okinawan/Japanese disciplines, don't happen on the street.
The first move(as I was taught anyhow) is to leap or hop into a one-legged stance with your right foot against your left knee while parrying the strike with your left hand and sending a chopping punch to the attacker's right kidney.
Suppose your weight is on the other foot when you're attacked? When you "hop" your body momentum is moving in the direction of the hop.
The purpose of the hoop or leap as I understand it is to position yourself for the kick before your opponent can turn around.
I'm speechless on that one.
However, if the attack was simply a step-through punch, rather than a lunging punch, stepping would probably be necessary to avoid over-shooting your target.
OK I give. :)

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have all ways been taught to do this teck. with the "leap", but if you look we do the same move in the teck. Glancing Lance. Of course we have already banged them up a bit by that time.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have all ways been taught to do this teck. with the "leap", but if you look we do the same move in the teck. Glancing Lance.

No "we" don't. Drop the collective pronouns and, if you like, tell us about what "you" do or like rather than what "we" do. There is much to be learned sir and many here are very knowledgeable and will share with you, but you must drop self-limiting assumptions and focus on where you are and what you want to do or learn. Asking questions is much better than rhetorical statements seeking agreement. The latter seeking approval is counter-productive to good discussions sir.

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is a good thread going on over at KT about this technique. I thought that we could discuss it here as well, for any members that are not a part of KT. The main focus was the application of the 'leap', the kick and the knuckle rake. The technique as written, has the defender hop onto his left leg, parrying the punching hand, as you deliver a knuckle rake and then a right side kick to the knee.

Seems to me, especially against a committed punch, that it would make more sense to step, rather than hop and then continue as normal. You're more in balance compared to hopping onto your left.

How does everyone else perform this technique?

I've learned this one as a hop to 9:00 with the knuckle rake, once balanced the next step is the side kick... I agree about the step, it would give you a more settled stance to execute your kick from. When I practice the technique however I try to put emphasis on the leap though as there are few techniques in the EPAKK style that focus on this crane stance - it is a good lesson for weight distribution and the transfer of momentum.

Latest Discussions