Latigo y Daga !

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may also want to look around in your local area for any leather crafts people. My whip was made by a local gentleman who also trains at my studio, and it is a lovely thing, well-made, and cheaper than if I got it online.

Another possible option.

D

Dagatan

What length does everybody use? I know Feisty mouse said she uses 12 and 6ft but what about everyone else? I'm wondering about the combative usage of certain lengths.

Hollywood1340/James,
Where'd you learn to do two whips similtaneously?

Can someone do a review of the James Keating tape?

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I use 10' almost exlusivly. And using two long whips takes knowing the basics on both sides of the body. Then, you flow. As you bring one forward and crack to an overhead, the other is following it. It's really air traffic control to make sure they don't cross and tangle. I'm now teaching a Delongis derivitive (Sp) of the long whip. The focus is on proper body mechanics to achieve power and accuracy for film work. If you're ever in my area www.geocities.com/flyingcircusstuntteam

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dagatan said:
What length does everybody use? I know Feisty mouse said she uses 12 and 6ft but what about everyone else? I'm wondering about the combative usage of certain lengths.

Hollywood1340/James,
Where'd you learn to do two whips similtaneously?

Can someone do a review of the James Keating tape?

Sorry for the late reply....but as to that review, I would say that Mr. Keating whip tapes are a great buy if you want combative application of the whip, rather then just the trickster stuff...

Paul

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
John J said:
However, Professor Amante Marinas's art of Pananandata includes Latigo y Daga. One of his senior disciples, Spencer Gee used to demonstrate this combination quite often. The whip they used was much shorter (possibly 3-4ft) and more rigid. You may wanna check out any of his books and/or videos because I am sure it is covered.
John J

Rob Mulligan (another senior student of Master Marinas) dropped by our seminar on Saturday with two of his students. Jose Capitulo makes an excellent version of a thin, tapered, braided rope latigo that is used by calesa (horse buggy) drivers in the Philippines. Jose carefully researched the method by which they are made and makes an authentic, high-quality version of these artifacts. Whereas the traditional latigo is a braided rope with several knots at the end that is dipped in glue or lacquer to make it somewhat stiff (and is brushed lightly over the horse to encourage it to move faster), some of Jose's whips had small pieces of glass embedded in the knots to make it an, um, more dramatic piece of hardware. Jose also uses a kind of marine epoxy to coat the rope instead of lacquer because it makes his latigos more capable of standing up to martial arts practice. The use of a popper at the end of the whip is advisable because it will keep the knotted end from fraying with repeated use. (Interestingly, one such popper is a 10-inch or so piece of Christmas ribbon braided into the end of the whip). The butt end of the rope is embedded in a short piece of rattan, over which Jose has braided cross-hatched twine that his also sealed in some sort of glue or lacquer. The manufacture of these whips is a dying art and may soon die out altogether; Jose is to be commended for learning how to make such an excellent product (Of course, this is the kind of guy who made an accurate and to-scale desktop model of a Roman catapult capable of hurling small stones across a large room in his spare time). When Rob and Jose gave a light-sparring demonstration during one of the breaks, Rob was able to crack the whip at will at a measured distance from Jose (he later volunteered that one of the primary techniques to use this whip in fighting was to snap the knotted end across the eyes of the opponent).

Contact information for Jose:

[email protected]

Best,

Steve

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello and Great Thread running!

When I train I work both left and right sides in various patterns. Last year I had the opportunity to try out a Kangaroo hide whip from Australia, and that was one of the best cracking whips I have tried. The longest lasting has been my Sayoc Kali, braided nylon 8ft which I use for most of my training now.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

D

Dagatan

Airyu,
Is there a paticular reason Sayoc prefers 8ft. or is that more your personal preference?

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm told the kanga is nice, but havn't had the capital to invest yet. The latigo does hold up well though. Rain sleet snow and mud. I've done it all and it just keeps cracking.
Support your local whipster!

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Dagatan,

Sayoc Kali does not favor any particular size, most people have a 6 or 8 foot length. I happen to have an 8ft one, although I have used as long as a 12ft leather one when I was in Dallas in the early 90's, the 6ft ones are alot easier to get a cracking pattern running with as well.

Have fun and wear eye protection when training!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

HenchmanNoNameTag

White Belt
Reaction score
Feisty,

I don't know if any video instruction exists from Eustaquio "Snookie" Sanchez Jr. or not. (The guy who'd snuff candles out on students' heads while blindfolded, using a whip.)

I remember seeing a demonstration that he did once. No one controlled a whip like he could. Simply impressive.

Hope that helps...if any....

- The Henchman

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HenchmanNoNameTag said:
Feisty,

I don't know if any video instruction exists from Eustaquio "Snookie" Sanchez Jr. or not. (The guy who'd snuff candles out on students' heads while blindfolded, using a whip.)

I remember seeing a demonstration that he did once. No one controlled a whip like he could. Simply impressive.

Hope that helps...if any....

- The Henchman
Thanks! I'm of course still looking for advice and pointers - the whip seems to be its own animal.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I must say the best demonstration I have evr seen was a lady who performed with the chinese acrobats of canton...she was goooood!

I am very interested in learning more about the whip,unfortunately,there is no one around to teach it.
Until I actually had first hand experience with a whip,I thought it was a load of bull and there was no way possible to do any damage with one(god bless hollywood)
Then.....
I got hit across the face with an 8 footer.
jaw muscle to jaw muscle,right across the bridge of the nose...
THAT was the single most painful thing I have EVER experienced in all my life!
My god,the pain they can inflict!:erg:
Some say you should wear face protection when learning,...brother,they ain't just whistlin dixie!

A vile of morphine close by wouldn't be such a bad idea either...

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh that had to hurt!

A couple of years ago, I pulled the eight footer back and the popper caught me on the arm and left a great cut that looked like the Z for Zorro! Still have the small scar there.... so be careful during your practice!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

D

Drifter

Guro Steve (if you don't mind me calling you that),

In the 3 of 9 DVD, there was a whip demonstration, and in it, if I recall correctly, Tuhon Sayoc pointed out that sometimes the whip would be used with a live blade attached to the end of it. How is this skill trained and practiced, or is it just done without the knife?

Thank you in advance!

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Yes it can be done! As I have done it myself and taken many whacks from it!!! ( I subscribe to the rule that I have to be able to do it if I am going to teach it...)

What I did was to attach at first, a small piece of aluminum to the end of the popper and worked with that to get used to the new dynamics of the whip. Next I added a trainer and firmly attached that, and went to town training. Remember this does change the dynamics of the return and send of the whip motion so be extra careful when you are training in this manner.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

san miguel eskrima

White Belt
Reaction score
In regards to bullwhips, below is a picture of a typical San Miguel Eskrima bullwhip that we use:

sme_bullwhip3.jpg

I have more information and images on my Special Weapons Page on my website:

www.sanmigueleskrima.com

Latest Discussions