Latigo y Daga !

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if the excessive size doesn't scare up, it will at least shock them to the point where I can use the distraction for the first strike. Not to mention my family style of Wip Wang Do. :whip1:

:supcool:

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Well if the excessive size doesn't scare up, it will at least shock them to the point where I can use the distraction for the first strike. Not to mention my family style of Wip Wang Do. :whip1:

:supcool:

Well...

I am Irish, so I scare them with my "Ken Doll" like frontal smoothness. :rofl:

Man...I crack myself up. :rolleyes:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I play with the whip informally as well. i'm not great at it but i can make it pop a couple times. I would guess if I were to use a whip for fighting supported by a knife the strategy would be to use the long range of the whip and a barrage of strikes to keep the opponent at bay, using the knife as a backup support weapon should they close inside the range of the whip.

or use the knife to cut myself free when my whip wraps around my body :xtrmshock

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
I play with the whip informally as well. i'm not great at it but i can make it pop a couple times. I would guess if I were to use a whip for fighting supported by a knife the strategy would be to use the long range of the whip and a barrage of strikes to keep the opponent at bay, using the knife as a backup support weapon should they close inside the range of the whip.

or use the knife to cut myself free when my whip wraps around my body :xtrmshock

Thats basically what I do...the whip is used for striking long range, while my knife is used for thrusting where I see openings. The amount of damage that a good whip can deliver is pretty amazing...you can slice someone up with the thing. Add this with the capabilities of a good long knife, and your assailent will need a firearm at 50 feet or more to stop you. Also worth mentioning...if the person manages to close in past your whip...you can use the whip as a grappling or tieing up tool to aid your knife work.

Now, in regards to making the whip "pop"... I don't find it to be that important for fighting application. I think your ability to hit a target is more important, then the "pop" will come naturally once you have the skill to hit your target.

PAUL :supcool:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got my first experience manipulating a whip last night - a 6-footer to start, but one of the gentlemen who trains with me, who is also an artist, is making whips now, and has a beautiful, slender 12-footer waiting for me as soon as I can pay him! It looks amazing.

As long as I could get that loop going in the whip, cracking it wasn't too bad. I could keep it going in a counter-clockwise manner abover my head, and crack it like doing a #1 strike, and continue. For the backhand, I could snap it and crack it - it felt like performing a redonda - but then I had to reverse direction.

Anyone out there with general advice on whip manipulation? I'm just getting started here.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Less is more. To qoute Anthony Delongis "It's going 700 miles and hour, you don't have to" Relate your martial arts to structure of the whip. Stances, body weigh shifts, foot work. And start working on targeting early on. Making it go bang is one thing, but making it go bang where you want it to go is another.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, thanks. How would you suggest practicing targeting? i.e. knocking empty soda cans off of a fence, that kind of thing, or cutting sheets of paper? I have to think of how to use this with another weapon as well, it's true. I like the long-range and flexible weapons because sometimes they are just so different or unusual (to me). Imagining how to manipulate a whip - esp. a long one, like the 12' one - and also a knife or stick is making me think hard. Which is good. :)

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Start by being able to place the crack in a box in the air. The move to trees. Trees are an exellent target. Leaves can be cut, or taken off, branches wrapped. It's suprising to see you started with a 6'. Shorter whips are harder to crack. You'll find the "chamber" time of your 12' to be much greater. Also a whip of that length is best for wrapping and single cracks. To do the multiple volleys and not get fatigued, I would say 10' is the maximum. 8' is a good medium. I wish you good luck in your whip work :)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks! :)

The 12' was intended to be an 8', I think - apparently the leather was so thin and stretchy that it became a 12' whip. It's very light, and so is the handle - he made it "elegant and ladylike" for me, so it shouldn't be fatiguing too much.

The 6' was a bit less intimidating to start on - I had to remember to keep slowing down and taking it easy. I caught myself on my elbow at one point - got a bit of a cut there, but nothing much. :) And of course wore goggles, love the goggles.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
:whip1:

How many of you here play with the whip or Latigo (Spanish), or with soft flexable weapons in your FMA?

I know that some of you Sayoc Kali players might! I play myself, and I find it very useful...

I included some info on the Whip (Latigo), Sjambok, and soft weapons in my Ezine on my site (click below). Pretty interesting!

What I really want to know is how many of you play with Latigo y Daga, or whip and Dagger? Let's discuss...what is your strategy, both technical and tactical? What is your favorite techniques?

Whip away... :ultracool :whip: :whip1: :deadhorse

I enjoy playing with the whip - in fact, there's a vid clip of me doing just that on my website at http://impactacademy.com

I love flexible weapons - i.e.: sarong work (or, more specifically, extrapolating sarong work into other things like jacket, shirt, etc.). My instructor has a very good DVD for sale on flexible weapons - available at http://asianfightingarts.com - and it shows a little of him using a whip in place of the sarong.

I've not played much with latigo y daga. But, based on what I have played with, I'll make an educated guess and say that the knife would either come into play as a projectile (especially if you've got multiple blades) or if someone closes inside the whip. Once they've closed inside, some of the espada y daga material would be available or the knife could just be used on its own - especially if you've got another opponent at a longer range that you can attack with the whip.

Mike

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all...

I just had the chance to view Jim Keatings Whip tape...awesome deomstration and instruction on how to use the whip combatively. I highly recomend this video! Good instruction on Latigo Y Daga as well!

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
pesilat said:
I enjoy playing with the whip - in fact, there's a vid clip of me doing just that on my website at http://impactacademy.com

I love flexible weapons - i.e.: sarong work (or, more specifically, extrapolating sarong work into other things like jacket, shirt, etc.). My instructor has a very good DVD for sale on flexible weapons - available at http://asianfightingarts.com - and it shows a little of him using a whip in place of the sarong.

I've not played much with latigo y daga. But, based on what I have played with, I'll make an educated guess and say that the knife would either come into play as a projectile (especially if you've got multiple blades) or if someone closes inside the whip. Once they've closed inside, some of the espada y daga material would be available or the knife could just be used on its own - especially if you've got another opponent at a longer range that you can attack with the whip.

Mike

Mike...I like your clips....especially the whip one! :ultracool

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you train whip for a particular hand, or train both? Curious....

ETA: Mike, watched your whip and flexible clips - was that a 10-footer whip? Amazing sound!

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
How many of you train whip for a particular hand, or train both? Curious....

ETA: Mike, watched your whip and flexible clips - was that a 10-footer whip? Amazing sound!

I always train both hands, however...I am better with certian things on my right. Whipping is one of them! :supcool:

S

Sifu Barry Cuda

Hey guys, In terms of flexible weapons I teach the tabak{chucks} alone, double,with a dagger, and with a shield.The bandanna is also used holding an end in each hand and using it in close range to trap, lock and throw.Ive personally trained the short bullwhip but never taught it.BTW on of my favorite flexible weapons is the car antenna, Barry www.combatartsusa.com

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dagatan said:
Where do you guys get your whips? Whats a good starter size?
Always a good question! As I've said previously, www.westernstageprops.com can't be beat for a good start. Although a good fighting whip is much less lengthy then the ones offered here, starting around 8' or so will get the proper body mechanics down before you shorten it up. You have something traveling over 700 miles and hour and when you shorten the length....well everything happens a lot faster. 8' is considered to be a good all around length, for cracks, wraps and cuts. I've always favored the American Swivel Handle, and they have a great starter set including whip, safety goggles (A must) ear plugs and an instructional video. The latigo whips seem heavy at first, but they carry the weight well and you develop a feel for them easily. They are fairly docile and forgiving and a great way to start. Also check out www.bullwhips.org to find the Whip Enthusiasts site, and maybe people in your area to crack with. You can also find "The Bullwhip Book" there, a great resource for learning your basics. I would also HIGHLY recomend purchasing "Mastering The Bullwhip" Vols.1&2 from Anthony Delongis www.delongis.com He teaches the mechanics of the whip from a martial arts perspective and his insight on how the body works in both the arts and the whip help make the transition an easy one. Hope I've been of some help :)
Support your local whipster!

Latest Discussions