Latigo y Daga !

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
:whip1:

How many of you here play with the whip or Latigo (Spanish), or with soft flexable weapons in your FMA?

I know that some of you Sayoc Kali players might! I play myself, and I find it very useful...

I included some info on the Whip (Latigo), Sjambok, and soft weapons in my Ezine on my site (click below). Pretty interesting!

What I really want to know is how many of you play with Latigo y Daga, or whip and Dagger? Let's discuss...what is your strategy, both technical and tactical? What is your favorite techniques?

Whip away... :ultracool :whip: :whip1: :deadhorse

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear what others have to say. I have not learned how to use a whip yet, but am very curious about flexible as well as long-range weapons.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
:whip1:

How many of you here play with the whip or Latigo (Spanish), or with soft flexable weapons in your FMA?

I know that some of you Sayoc Kali players might! I play myself, and I find it very useful...

I included some info on the Whip (Latigo), Sjambok, and soft weapons in my Ezine on my site (click below). Pretty interesting!

What I really want to know is how many of you play with Latigo y Daga, or whip and Dagger? Let's discuss...what is your strategy, both technical and tactical? What is your favorite techniques?

Whip away... :ultracool :whip: :whip1: :deadhorse

Good page, Mark Allen is a great source for whip materials and videos!

The Sjambok is looks similar to the bambo weapon Bruce Lee used to draw an X on Dan Inonsanto in the movie "Game of Death".

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never use the whip. However, Professor Amante Marinas's art of Pananandata includes Latigo y Daga. One of his senior disciples, Spencer Gee used to demonstrate this combination quite often. The whip they used was much shorter (possibly 3-4ft) and more rigid. You may wanna check out any of his books and/or videos because I am sure it is covered.

John J

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my instructors is extremely good with a bandana. He trains some of us in how to use it well. I also work various flexible weapons in Mande Muda although it isn't FMA. I always wonder what is the actual realistic ability of a whip in a confrontation. If nothing else, it has style.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
John J said:
I never use the whip. However, Professor Amante Marinas's art of Pananandata includes Latigo y Daga. One of his senior disciples, Spencer Gee used to demonstrate this combination quite often. The whip they used was much shorter (possibly 3-4ft) and more rigid. You may wanna check out any of his books and/or videos because I am sure it is covered.

John J

Hi John...

If you have any links to video demo's or instructional info fpr Prof. Marina's, I'd be happy to link them to my e-zine!

Thank you!

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OULobo said:
One of my instructors is extremely good with a bandana. He trains some of us in how to use it well. I also work various flexible weapons in Mande Muda although it isn't FMA. I always wonder what is the actual realistic ability of a whip in a confrontation. If nothing else, it has style.

What does your instuctor do with the bandana? What is the structure of how he teaches it?

I use a balintawak structure, with modern arnis templates and concepts to teach soft weapons. I am just wondering what others are doing. :ultracool

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
What does your instuctor do with the bandana? What is the structure of how he teaches it?

I use a balintawak structure, with modern arnis templates and concepts to teach soft weapons. I am just wondering what others are doing. :ultracool

Nothing so formal. He grabs the folk he thinks are up to it and shows it. The basic idea is the various ways to use a bandana as a whip or "rattail". It is a novelty attack with little combat aps, besides suprise. I use it more as a party trick than anything else. If you do it right, you should completely fray the bandana tip in three strikes. The strike makes a very distinctive sound if you hit it right.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Nothing so formal. He grabs the folk he thinks are up to it and shows it. The basic idea is the various ways to use a bandana as a whip or "rattail". It is a novelty attack with little combat aps, besides suprise. I use it more as a party trick than anything else. If you do it right, you should completely fray the bandana tip in three strikes. The strike makes a very distinctive sound if you hit it right.
What about in terms of wrapping, trapping, locking, and choking?

I've trained in improvised flexible weapons such as shirt, belt, hanky, jacket, for these types of things. Pretty neat stuff. I haven't done a lot more than basic familiarization, but I can definitely see translations in trapping hands, and MA locking, passing and disarming motions.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:

I've trained in improvised flexible weapons such as shirt, belt, hanky, jacket, for these types of things. Pretty neat stuff. I haven't done a lot more than basic familiarization, but I can definitely see translations in trapping hands, and MA locking, passing and disarming motions.

Right!!!

You can use the whip for sarong applications as well!!!

Palusut

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a martial artist, one should not go without Anthony Delongis's "Mastering the Bullwhip" Vol. I and II. I have both and it's changed the way I view the whip. He uses it from a MARTIAL standpoint and it's great.
Support your local Whipster!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hollywood1340 said:
As a martial artist, one should not go without Anthony Delongis's "Mastering the Bullwhip" Vol. I and II. I have both and it's changed the way I view the whip. He uses it from a MARTIAL standpoint and it's great.
Support your local Whipster!

Mr. Delongis was also the whip instructor for the Roc's movie, "The Rundown".

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Whoops...check that! I guess I don't :eek:

I may have to add more links today or tomorrow... :uhyeah:

Hi Paul,

I think that you have a link to Mark Allen's site who sells Alex Green's videos.

Palusut

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:

Just like Palusut said, I use my Cipicut sarong work from Mande Muda for most of the wrapping, trapping, throwing and choking.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Help a brother out here - this is greek to me. Could you define some of this?

Thanks,

Dan

Sure, Cipicut is a sub system of Mande Muda Penjak Silat. Mande Muda is a mixed bag of martial arts systems from all over Indonesia. Cipicut is a system of flexible weapons techniques that is loosely based on the sarong or decorative skirt that men wear in Indonesia.