Last Poster #7

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
you might enjoy Septimus Heap as well.
I read 3 books in 2 weeks (less than that but that's how long I can keep books from the library) and have not picked up a book since.
Other than moving it from one table to the other.
Recently got a form I need to fill out to check books out the library. Gonna keep an eye out for that title. Thanks for the reccomend!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been doing a bunch of reading lately. I finished all the Harry Potter books and I've been reading the lord of the rings books recently. I'm currently reading the two towers. Twelve chapters in. I usually read 2 chapters a day. It's been kinda nice doing reading time.
Dude! I just started Harry Potter recently, FINALLY haha, been meaning to for ages. Just finished the sorting hat chapter :D

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is just sad. But it proves a point from another post. That video was a mashup of the people they Wanted you to see to make their (incorrect I hope) point.
Yes, I’m sure you’re right; they’re definitely selected for the sake of entertainment and I’m sure this not-reading-books phenomenon is ubiquitous around the world.

Have you tried reading Moby Dick/Catcher in the Rye/Frankenstein? 🥱😴

My other half is consultant physician at the top of her game but she never reads books even though I buy them for her, and is instead, glued to her phone, looking for information about her war-torn country or cat/dog videos!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, but I read them a while back just to understand the cultural references going around. (I have other fantasy authors who I greatly prefer to Rowling.)

However I've been studying Spanish for a couple of years now and just finished the first Harry Potter book in the Spanish translation. It's written at a level where it's a challenge for me but I can still follow the story. I'll probably go through the rest of the series and hopefully by the time I get through the last book my Spanish will have levelled up from intermediate to advanced.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I’m sure you’re right; they’re definitely selected for the sake of entertainment and I’m sure this not-reading-books phenomenon is ubiquitous around the world.

Have you tried reading Moby Dick/Catcher in the Rye/Frankenstein? 🥱😴

My other half is consultant physician at the top of her game but she never reads books even though I buy them for her, and is instead, glued to her phone, looking for information about her war-torn country or cat/dog videos!
get her audio books for commutes or workouts.
Perhaps an e-reader (I am downloading ebooks from my local library to my phone. Lifesaver when I am stuck at doctor's offices or can't go out.)
But you know, we all do different things for relaxation. Perhaps she had to read so much during school it's not fun to do it anymore.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, but I read them a while back just to understand the cultural references going around. (I have other fantasy authors who I greatly prefer to Rowling.)

However I've been studying Spanish for a couple of years now and just finished the first Harry Potter book in the Spanish translation. It's written at a level where it's a challenge for me but I can still follow the story. I'll probably go through the rest of the series and hopefully by the time I get through the last book my Spanish will have levelled up from intermediate to advanced.
I have seen some of the movies, I'm not a big fan of the Potter series.
Years ago my youngest and all her friends got into reading Harry Potter. My youngest read the first book and was done, she is also not a fan. However one of her friends was having a Harry Potter themed birthday party. She went, I took her, and she was not in any costume. I pulled up and saw all these kids dressed as wizards and various other Potter characters. I walked my daughter up to the party and one of her friends stop her and asked her why she wasn't wearing a costume. Her response was "Yes I am, I'm a muggle". She had the most original costume at the party :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I heard is describes as something akin to 'Enid Blyton klaptrap'
which I found harsh on both counts, but when you peel the layers back, it is Blyton material. The woman was most prolific, if formulaic in her work. She had 2 main genres going: What the kids (girls) do in school, and how they spend the summer far away from school and adults. We devoured them all back in the day. (and she probably had the first and largely only mainstream non-binary character in juvenile literature with 'George' in the Famous Five series, a girl who wants to be a boy. and shockingly, it never was an issue.
I am sure Rowling grew up on it.
And perhaps that makes the appeal of the Harry Potter books. Those were elements that have not been present in youth literature in a while.
There is a cast that gives everybody something to identify with.
I don't think it's the most greatest thing ever either.
I do however enjoy the aspect that it got millions of people to read with gusto again. I still have to read #2 on forward.
And interestingly enough the library didn't have them anymore the last time I checked.
As far as fantasy goes, I enjoyed the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks, The Accidental Sorcerer trilogy by K E Mills.
And Kingdom beyond the Waves, by Stephen Hunt, which is part of a series, but I have not found the others yet. I get a lot of books from the bargain bin.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Recently got a form I need to fill out to check books out the library. Gonna keep an eye out for that title. Thanks for the reccomend!
make sure you make use of the digital library as well.
I found a few gems there as well.
Libby or Overdrive are the apps.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why people won’t acknowledge that they are books for children. Children’s fiction. That’s why you’re not a huge fan…you’re an adult, Tony! Their popularity amongst adults is one of the signs of their infantilisation. The popularity of comics and Marvel/DC films is yet another.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last book I read was a textbook. Kind of makes me sad….

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last book I read was a textbook. Kind of makes me sad….
NO! That makes you a hero, a free thinker, bucking the trend of dumbing down….🤔…hang on…what kind of text book?🤨🧐

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO! That makes you a hero, a free thinker, bucking the trend of dumbing down….🤔…hang on…what kind of text book?🤨🧐
A study on ancient near east culture for my graduate program.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A study on ancient near east culture for my graduate program.
You are a hero! When you start reading these things for fun, then a little sadness begins creeping in…😢…but the great thing is, you don’t bloody care!🥴

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are a hero! When you start reading these things for fun, then a little sadness begins creeping in…😢…but the great thing is, you don’t bloody care!🥴
I’m glad that it is over. I had to read over 50 books for the program. I guess my brain is taking a vacation 😂

Latest Discussions