Last Poster #7

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think of Cologuard as something for the person with zero risk factors, but who is still worried.
The VA requires this around here if you are low risk but within the age window.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@_Simon_ My brain went down a rabbit hole earlier today thinking of your ankle/stomach issue, and the responses on here. I was thinking about how people could use that to try and treat internal organs easier/externally, and ended up thinking this may have been how acupuncture started, given my understanding of it (the idea to my understanding is that different parts of your body connect to different organs through blood flow, so by 'activating' those it impacts you internally...It's been a minute so I might be wrong).

What I'm getting at is, it seems likely to me that acupuncture was initially developed, at least in part, via issues similar to what you're having, so seeing a licensed TCM practitioner and getting acupuncture from them might help.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@_Simon_ My brain went down a rabbit hole earlier today thinking of your ankle/stomach issue, and the responses on here. I was thinking about how people could use that to try and treat internal organs easier/externally, and ended up thinking this may have been how acupuncture started, given my understanding of it (the idea to my understanding is that different parts of your body connect to different organs through blood flow, so by 'activating' those it impacts you internally...It's been a minute so I might be wrong).

What I'm getting at is, it seems likely to me that acupuncture was initially developed, at least in part, via issues similar to what you're having, so seeing a licensed TCM practitioner and getting acupuncture from them might help.
That is an interesting thought, cheers for the rabbit hole pondering! I have always wanted to try acupuncture actually

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
perhaps when other circumstances make the normal procedure too risky.
GI isn't my specialty, but I'm not sure what those circumstances could be. There are conditions that will lead to an incomplete exam, but those are conditions (such as a bowel obstruction) that you're going to need to fix. I cannot think of any circumstances in which Cologuard would be better than even an incomplete colonoscopy.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you that's very helpful.. yeah had a gastroscopy done many many years ago and they only found bad reflux. I'll keep note of my symptoms and how things progress. I'm on Pantoprazole and yeah I'll definitely take them consistently.

It makes all this very hard as I also have had a chronic pelvic tension condition for a few years, and I never know if it's something serious internally or just the tension issues causing stuff (which it absolutely has in the past). May need to head back to pelvic physio again as it's been awhile.

But rubbing my ankle recently has produced no pain, so that's something!
During your upper endoscopy did they perform a biopsy for H. Pylori? Did they note any possible defect to indicate a hiatal hernia? These are important possibilities to rule out reflux causes. H. Pylori can be treated with medication and hiatal hernia can be repaired with laparoscopic nissen fundoplication. I am not a physician, and I am not suggesting either of these problems are applicable to your situation but since we were on the subject…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
perhaps when other circumstances make the normal procedure too risky.
We do it to people in every sort of condition, and intraoperatively. It is generally very safe. It may not be useful if the patient has not been properly prepped( meaning cleaned out ) because then you can’t see anything other than yesterdays dinner. Your friendly neighborhood surgical staff does not appreciate this scenario one iota.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
During your upper endoscopy did they perform a biopsy for H. Pylori? Did they note any possible defect to indicate a hiatal hernia? These are important possibilities to rule out reflux causes. H. Pylori can be treated with medication and hiatal hernia can be repaired with laparoscopic nissen fundoplication. I am not a physician, and I am not suggesting either of these problems are applicable to your situation but since we were on the subject…
Yes I believe they did do a biopsy! But this was yeeeeeears ago anyhow. Will see if I need another. Pain is noticeably decreasing by the day..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Had a meeting last night..... one of the speakers was a local politician..... just reminded me how much i dislike politicians..... if you don't believe what he is saying, and most there didn't, then if asked questions he can't or does not want to answer, his response was to be either dismissive or condescending..... sadly he is not from an area I can not vote for him in his next election

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
GI isn't my specialty, but I'm not sure what those circumstances could be. There are conditions that will lead to an incomplete exam, but those are conditions (such as a bowel obstruction) that you're going to need to fix. I cannot think of any circumstances in which Cologuard would be better than even an incomplete colonoscopy.
when the patient might not tolerate the anesthesia perhaps?
I know it can be done without, too.

Latest Discussions