Last Poster #7

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, officially starting over again. Covid finally finished off the dojo I was teaching at. I'd managed to hold onto one student over the past year of intermittent periods of no classes, classes held entirely outside, and a year of no-contact classes. Family matters took priority for her, so I'm now looking for a new place to teach and will need to find new students.

Maybe someday I'll get to teach advanced work again.
That sucks, sorry. Here's hoping finding a new school is easier this time around.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
An interesting video that talks about various coffee substitutes, if you're interested. I like this guy's videos. He's my kind of nerdy.

I have had Pero and Postum before, like the Pero better than the Postum. But hte Postum coffee flavor is better than the wheat & barley flavor. All of those are instant. The chicory I have is ground, not instant.

And I brew the Chicory weak, because when I went stronger it almost took the teeth out of my mouth

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. You're moving the goal posts, here, my friend. Putting background information first in an email is a common mistake, and it's not a best practice. Summarizing the purpose of an email in, preferably, a single sentence, is not an issue. These are not the same thing. In fact, a well constructed summary statement will seldom contain any background information.

I mean, if the idea here is that no one is wrong and everyone is right, and it's all just a matter of preference, fine. Do it your way. But it really doesn't sound like you know as much as you think in this area, and at the least, I can help you learn to distinguish between a summary statement that focuses an email and distracting background information that hides the purpose of the email.
Okay, only you know anything, apparently. I moved no goalposts, and simply made a comment about how others have different preferences. Apparently, you're the arbiter of what others may or may not prefer.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, acid reflux and curiosity, and in a strange way, I now kind of like it,. But the main reason was I was craving coffee and coffee is a sure thing to kick off major acid reflux issues (caffeine, decaf, no difference). It is the last holdout actually, everything else is ok. Chicory does not kick of acid reflux issues and it is close enough to coffee to stop the craving
Have you ever tried out cold brew? It's my understanding that it is less acidic.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had Pero and Postum before, like the Pero better than the Postum. But hte Postum coffee flavor is better than the wheat & barley flavor. All of those are instant. The chicory I have is ground, not instant.

And I brew the Chicory weak, because when I went stronger it almost took the teeth out of my mouth
I grew up on the wheat and barley flavor, and don't mind it. But it sounds like I should try out the coffee flavor.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks, sorry. Here's hoping finding a new school is easier this time around.
I suspect I won't have much luck for a few more months. My inclination is to go back and try a YMCA again - it was easiest to find students there. They seem much more interested in kids' classes, though, and I'm not much interested in teaching those. In any case, that's not even an option for now. And since I would be teaching only non-contact classes for now, I don't see much sense in trying to start yet.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heh, heh, heh...

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog...and-beaten-down-by-a-bunch-of-good-samaritans

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay, only you know anything, apparently. I moved no goalposts, and simply made a comment about how others have different preferences. Apparently, you're the arbiter of what others may or may not prefer.
Not at all. A lot of people are really good business writers and very effective at writing emails. I'm not sure whether you're one of them or not, but you're sure throwing out some red flags.

If you consider it a matter of preference, you can't get better. But if you won't take my word for it, any decent business writing course will tell you the same.

There are many things that actually are a matter of preference. Things like one space or two after a full stop, or bullets vs tables. But there are many things that are not, like basic email formatting, use of active vs passive voice, plain language, avoiding buzzwords. If you honestly don't know preference/style vs best practices, you need to consider listening and not arguing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If I've read some of your posts correctly, I suspect you're in the group whose style prefers more in-depth information (and usually less opinion) in communications.
wait. Hold on. You think opinion vs fact is a matter of style?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upload_2021-3-5_14-22-19.png
Hoku, our new pup came home on Wednesday.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all. A lot of people are really good business writers and very effective at writing emails. I'm not sure whether you're one of them or not, but you're sure throwing out some red flags.

If you consider it a matter of preference, you can't get better. But if you won't take my word for it, any decent business writing course will tell you the same.

There are many things that actually are a matter of preference. Things like one space or two after a full stop, or bullets vs tables. But there are many things that are not, like basic email formatting, use of active vs passive voice, plain language, avoiding buzzwords. If you honestly don't know preference/style vs best practices, you need to consider listening and not arguing.
You’re entirely missing the point. And as you have made a practice, you responded to me contentiously, rather than with any effort to understand my meaning. Don’t think tou actually bother to fully read my posts any more - just respond when you find something you can disagree with.

That, by the way, is a poor communication habit - in business and out.

Latest Discussions