Last Poster #7

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Big sucker, that one. Ugh.

Amazes me out here watching chickens chase them and gobble them dow. And feral cats toying with them, then killing them.

Cats are especially phenomenal when it comes to killing things though.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Roast day yesterday, and actually really happy with ALL four roasts I did! All turned out well and how I wanted them to!

I even did my first batch of an Indian Monsooned Malabar, a notoriously strange bean that needs a MINIMUM of 14 days rest after roasting before even starting to taste... usually has a really low acidity, really bold, intense thick body, funky pungent flavours, mixed spices, herbs, earthy, leathery, tobacco, really sweet..

Such a different processing method to other beans... "The raw (or green) beans are exposed to the annual monsoon rains, winds and humidity from India for 3 to 4 months in an open warehouse. This gives the coffee lower acidity and a unique earthy flavor found only with this type of coffee."

@Steve ever roasted any of these? Definitely a divisive bean that's an acquired taste... thought I'd grab some greens to give it a go
c06c7e88459febb6ea2a7f1413886931.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Roast day yesterday, and actually really happy with ALL four roasts I did! All turned out well and how I wanted them to!

I even did my first batch of an Indian Monsooned Malabar, a notoriously strange bean that needs a MINIMUM of 14 days rest after roasting before even starting to taste... usually has a really low acidity, really bold, intense thick body, funky pungent flavours, mixed spices, herbs, earthy, leathery, tobacco, really sweet..

Such a different processing method to other beans... "The raw (or green) beans are exposed to the annual monsoon rains, winds and humidity from India for 3 to 4 months in an open warehouse. This gives the coffee lower acidity and a unique earthy flavor found only with this type of coffee."

@Steve ever roasted any of these? Definitely a divisive bean that's an acquired taste... thought I'd grab some greens to give it a go
c06c7e88459febb6ea2a7f1413886931.jpg
I have, crazy crema, too. I don't care for it that much, though I used what I had as part of blends at like 10% or less, and it added some depth that I liked.

There's a place I buy beans from sometimes that has a blend called "Malabar Gold" that's pretty good for espresso and handles a dark roast well.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have, crazy crema, too. I don't care for it that much, though I used what I had as part of blends at like 10% or less, and it added some depth that I liked.

There's a place I buy beans from sometimes that has a blend called "Malabar Gold" that's pretty good for espresso and handles a dark roast well.

Yeah ah right, it's such a different bean... have been trying to explore the more earthy beans a bit. Yeah small amounts in blends would work really well I'd imagine!

I've bought some already roasted before, a static monster when grinding haha.. fingers crossed for this roast haha

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just finished some state mandate training....and all I have to say..is if this is the way society in the US is going...the house in Canada was a good idea....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel ya. as someone who gets somewhere around 150 emails a day, I will admit I often only get the high points. I'm sure you're an excellent writer and your emails are clear and concise, but I get a lot that aren't, and if the lead is buried, I'm likely to miss it.
A lot of this is difference in communication styles, and folks not understanding others’ needs. Adaptation isn’t easy for some folks, but anyone can learn. The mismatch you describe as burying the lead is probably the most problematic.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A lot of this is difference in communication styles, and folks not understanding others’ needs. Adaptation isn’t easy for some folks, but anyone can learn. The mismatch you describe as burying the lead is probably the most problematic.
I wouldn't call it a "style", though. Business writing is a skill. I think it's about 75% science and 25% art. The trick is helping people think critically about what they are really asking for, what the audience needs to know, and putting all of that in the first few sentences. One of my pet peeves is when an email starts with background information.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a "style", though. Business writing is a skill. I think it's about 75% science and 25% art. The trick is helping people think critically about what they are really asking for, what the audience needs to know, and putting all of that in the first few sentences. One of my pet peeves is when an email starts with background information.
That last part is what I’m talking about. There are folks who prefer the background info. Knowing your communication style (common among managers), others can learn to adopt a delivery style that works well for you. That same delivery won’t work as well for other recipients.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That last part is what I’m talking about. There are folks who prefer the background info. Knowing your communication style (common among managers), others can learn to adopt a delivery style that works well for you. That same delivery won’t work as well for other recipients.
Background is fine (sometimes), but putting it on top of an email is poor writing. People who do that either haven’t been told, or don’t write for executives or senior managers, or anyone else who receives a lot of emails. Calling it “style” suggests that it’s a matter of preference and so not wrong.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Gave Chicory another try tonight. This time I used 1 teaspoon, in a reusable K-cup and Keurig...came out ok, a little bitter, but OK
Why are you subjecting yourself to chicory? :) Is this a curiosity thing?

And in the arena of coffee substitutes, have you heard about mushroom “coffee”?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Background is fine (sometimes), but putting it on top of an email is poor writing. People who do that either haven’t been told, or don’t write for executives or senior managers, or anyone else who receives a lot of emails. Calling it “style” suggests that it’s a matter of preference and so not wrong.
Again, not everyone prefers it the way you do. In general, I agree that some sort of summary up front is best practice (as that fits the most people), when delivering to folks who don't prefer that, there's nothing "wrong" about doing so.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, officially starting over again. Covid finally finished off the dojo I was teaching at. I'd managed to hold onto one student over the past year of intermittent periods of no classes, classes held entirely outside, and a year of no-contact classes. Family matters took priority for her, so I'm now looking for a new place to teach and will need to find new students.

Maybe someday I'll get to teach advanced work again.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Again, not everyone prefers it the way you do. In general, I agree that some sort of summary up front is best practice (as that fits the most people), when delivering to folks who don't prefer that, there's nothing "wrong" about doing so.
LOL. You're moving the goal posts, here, my friend. Putting background information first in an email is a common mistake, and it's not a best practice. Summarizing the purpose of an email in, preferably, a single sentence, is not an issue. These are not the same thing. In fact, a well constructed summary statement will seldom contain any background information.

I mean, if the idea here is that no one is wrong and everyone is right, and it's all just a matter of preference, fine. Do it your way. But it really doesn't sound like you know as much as you think in this area, and at the least, I can help you learn to distinguish between a summary statement that focuses an email and distracting background information that hides the purpose of the email.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, officially starting over again. Covid finally finished off the dojo I was teaching at. I'd managed to hold onto one student over the past year of intermittent periods of no classes, classes held entirely outside, and a year of no-contact classes. Family matters took priority for her, so I'm now looking for a new place to teach and will need to find new students.

Maybe someday I'll get to teach advanced work again.
I'm sure you'll bounce back. I heard about the dojo in another thread, and hopefully she lands on her feet, too.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree, Steve's style sounds more like a cold call to me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why are you subjecting yourself to chicory? :) Is this a curiosity thing?

And in the arena of coffee substitutes, have you heard about mushroom “coffee”?

Well, acid reflux and curiosity, and in a strange way, I now kind of like it,. But the main reason was I was craving coffee and coffee is a sure thing to kick off major acid reflux issues (caffeine, decaf, no difference). It is the last holdout actually, everything else is ok. Chicory does not kick of acid reflux issues and it is close enough to coffee to stop the craving

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, acid reflux and curiosity, and in a strange way, I now kind of like it,. But the main reason was I was craving coffee and coffee is a sure thing to kick off major acid reflux issues (caffeine, decaf, no difference). It is the last holdout actually, everything else is ok. Chicory does not kick of acid reflux issues and it is close enough to coffee to stop the craving
An interesting video that talks about various coffee substitutes, if you're interested. I like this guy's videos. He's my kind of nerdy.