Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
You expecting immortality/incredibly prolonged life to come around soon enough to help us last a few hundred years? Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to be around a few hundred years from now.
I would LOVE to live for a few centuries, provided I could keep youth and good health. I could learn more languages, read more books, train in more martial arts, and get proficient in more styles of dance. It would be awesome!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's interesting that you got taught English at school - I think the further east you go (past the Indian subcontinent) the more likely that TEFL curricula (teaching English as a foreign language) shifts further toward American.

It's also interesting when people mention "the British accent" ;)

Where I am, the accent is distinctly different to say London and some areas in Scotland may as well have a different language entirely - hence the need for the film trainspotting to have subtitles for some parts of the US market...

My wife was born and raised around here, and she also struggles with some of the other regions.
As someone who has never been to england/ireland/scotland (besides a layover in london on my way to spain), but vaguely aware that there are serious regional differences, I've always assumed that when people say british accent actually mean london accent. I might be entirely wrong about that, though.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to live for a few centuries, provided I could keep youth and good health. I could learn more languages, read more books, train in more martial arts, and get proficient in more styles of dance. It would be awesome!
For me it would depend entirely on if I'm living those centuries alone. If some freak accident would cause me to live long while everyone else still aged and died, that would mess me up. If humanity as a whole improved so we could (and colonize some planets/moons or use the sea to solve spacing issues that would result), I'd love that.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm really tempted to start a thread with the question "What language is better, american or english?", nothing in the subject, and see what happens.
That would be HILARIOUS

(I have seen alot recently of discussion on semantics, meaning and origins of words!)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
As someone who has never been to england/ireland/scotland (besides a layover in london on my way to spain), but vaguely aware that there are serious regional differences, I've always assumed that when people say british accent actually mean london accent. I might be entirely wrong about that, though.

I think you are wrong about that - and that's not a dig...

I've always thought that (as the Hobbit said) when people think of British accent it's the BBC accent.

This is what you'd most likely experience from people like pilots and "good" hotel staff ;)

The closest to that would probably be "upper middle class", but excluding modern faux posh... Oddly, this is one of the only accents that can't easily be ascribed to a certain geographic area.

The accents in London vary tremendously depending on which part of London (East is very different to North for example) and also the social and/or ethnic group - black Londoners and their contemporaries sound completely different to Indian Londoners which are different to middle eastern Londoners and all of those compared to indigenous Londoners (of the different areas) who haven't spent years trying to copy the others...

Oh, and Ireland...

Not many with an Irish accent would consider it to come under the heading of "a British accent".

While Ireland (as a whole) is part of the British isles, it's not part of Great Britain...

The southern part (Eire) is an entirely separate political entity - the northern part is currently (contentiously) part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That would be HILARIOUS

(I have seen alot recently of discussion on semantics, meaning and origins of words!)

None of that has any relevance to the question of which is "better" though - which is really an unanswerable question - it just highlights differences.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
None of that has any relevance to the question of which is "better" though - which is really an unanswerable question - it just highlights differences.
Yeah I know, exactly haha [emoji14] would be quite interesting where the discussion journeys!

(If zombies could make an appearance that would be quite welcome as well...... )

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having one of those days today.

Just can't find any compatibility with the prospect of being awake.

Went to work - later than I intended - did a few hours and had to give up and finish - earlier than I intended.

Let's hope tomorrow is nicer.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Went to work - later than I intended - did a few hours and had to give up and finish - earlier than I intended.

Sorry you are having a bad day. Although I do love the expression "can't find any compatibility with the prospect of being awake". That's literature! I am writing this down.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry you are having a bad day. Although I do love the expression "can't find any compatibility with the prospect of being awake". That's literature! I am writing this down.

Feeling crap is no excuse for poor linguistics ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sad day for me at work.

The last guy from our old unit retired today....41 years of L.E. and over 30 years working narcotics. I'm the last one left from our old unit.

He was one of my mentors when I transferred in....happy for him, but really sad seeing him leave.

Im interviewing applicants for his replacement Tuesday....whoever gets it has big shoes to fill
I feel you. January 3, a long time employee retired. She had 42 years with the federal government and had been my right hand for the last 8 years. I will probably not be able to get authorization to backfill, so I’m going to have to be creative. We are losing institutional memory like crazy right now. Attrition is through the roof for a variety of reasons. Technically, I could retire at any point, but I’d like to work for another 5 years at least. I guess it will depend on who wins the election in November.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
20 years ago tomorrow, I walked into the station for the first time as an employee rather than an applicant.

Yep, 20 years as a cop. Worked patrol, criminal street gangs, patrol supervisor... got training in crash reconstruction, mental case, certified as an instructor in multiple areas...

Not sure how long I'll stay. As long the job is fun, as long I've got good people to work with, as long as... I don't know.

20 years has flown by...
Goes by fast.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
20 years ago tomorrow, I walked into the station for the first time as an employee rather than an applicant.

Yep, 20 years as a cop. Worked patrol, criminal street gangs, patrol supervisor... got training in crash reconstruction, mental case, certified as an instructor in multiple areas...

Not sure how long I'll stay. As long the job is fun, as long I've got good people to work with, as long as... I don't know.

20 years has flown by...
You are a hero.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sometimes those days creep up hey.. and yep, what you did makes sense to me. Your system needed to rest, great that you listened :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Made a belated 50th birthday dinner for @gpseymour (he was traveling on business and didn't get home until today - the day after his actual birthday):

- French onion soup with sweet red Italian onions, home-made duck stock, red wine, and home-grown herbs. Topped with ciabatta bread and Swiss cheese.
- Escargot with butter, garlic, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Tomato and cucumber salad with Rose Rosemary finishing salt.

The revelry continues tomorrow with A Cornish game hen, more fresh veggies, stuffed mushrooms, and asparagus.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Made a belated 50th birthday dinner for @gpseymour (he was traveling on business and didn't get home until today - the day after his actual birthday):

- French onion soup with sweet red Italian onions, home-made duck stock, red wine, and home-grown herbs. Topped with ciabatta bread and Swiss cheese.

The revelry continues tomorrow with A Cornish game hen, more fresh veggies, stuffed mushrooms, and asparagus.
where were you for my birthday!
Noway he is THAT OLD!!!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You have me salivating!

And Happy Birthday to that incredibly old man of a husband.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are a hero.
Aw, shucks...

Nah. I'm just a guy with a job, doing his best. I've met a few heroes over the years... guys and gals who did things in nasty situations and made a real difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions