Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's the fat from the bacon tho....hmmmm
back in the 80s it became an 'it' thing to have lard sandwiches.
I wish I could time travel....
We have slaughtered our own hogs and beef every year at Thanksgiving as far back as I can remember. I have fond memories of the women cooking down the fat to get the lard and cracklin's. Yum.
I has been several years since I have been there but I had a customer who makes BBQ, both their own sauce and meat from live weight. The sauce making is a fairly automated batch process. The meat side (same site) has several checks required by the FDA.
At another location of course but they also render and package, ...whatever you call the byproduct. Not pleasant.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
20190320_100903.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it's the fat from the bacon tho....hmmmm
back in the 80s it became an 'it' thing to have lard sandwiches.
I wish I could time travel....
Where I come from, lard is considered a delicacy and is, I think, the unofficial national food. That's why there are lots of jokes about what a Ukrainian might do in exchange for lard. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently baking two pumpkin breads (one loaf, one just in a cake pan), and two pumpkin custards (I didn't feel like making pie crusts). Needed to use up some cans of pumpkin. Man, I love pumpkin stuff....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
First day back at work. I'm so jetlagged. But the UK was amazing (well the parts I saw, anyway). Everyone was nice, and I learned a whole lot about brexit. My wife has decided I need to learn how to make a victoria sponge and sticky toffee pudding.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
First day back at work. I'm so jetlagged. But the UK was amazing (well the parts I saw, anyway). Everyone was nice, and I learned a whole lot about brexit. My wife has decided I need to learn how to make a victoria sponge and sticky toffee pudding.
I want to visit a friend in Wales - she makes fabulous trifle. Every time she posts pictures on Facebook, I just want to climb into that trifle bowl and live there.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to visit a friend in Wales - she makes fabulous trifle. Every time she posts pictures on Facebook, I just want to climb into that trifle bowl and live there.
which part of Whales.
As if it mattered, I come with!
Cymru fo am bydd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions