Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just did my first proper bagwork session for ages without any leg propped up, yay! Only 4x harder rounds of 1 minute each, but my ankle is healing really nicely, so only very light kicks with that foot. Was worried about making contact like that but went well :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lady tried to convince me that she had two shots of vodka, despite a BAL of around 500 (think BAC .5 ...not .05, .5). Yeah, I'm not buying that.
Well, did she say how big the shots were?
upload_2019-1-24_8-15-59.jpeg

(couldn't find a shot glass)

I remember a cop friend telling me once that the most common answer to "have you been drinking" is "just a couple". The one time I got stopped for a sobriety check (2 AM on New Year's day), the cop asked me if I'd been drinking, and I literally said, "Just a couple." When I heard it come out of my mouth, I immediately clarified, "I had a shot of whisky at around 10 and a glass of champagne at midnight. I knew we'd be leaving around 2, so I stopped there."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did my first proper bagwork session for ages without any leg propped up, yay! Only 4x harder rounds of 1 minute each, but my ankle is healing really nicely, so only very light kicks with that foot. Was worried about making contact like that but went well :)
Glad to hear it's holding out okay. You've reminded me that I need to get back to my bag work. Not likely to do much kicking - having extra problems with my right knee at the moment (and MRI wasn't helpful), but I can still get in the exercise.

I really like working 1-minute rounds on that. I give more each round when I do those, and end up more tired at the end than if I do half as many 2-minute rounds.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't make snow angels in the heat.
hqdefault.jpg

That and I'm tired of getting the looks of disaproval my neighbors give when I go outside in just my skin.
OMG, I remember that episode of "Family Guy". At that particular point I went "ewww" - and I am not particularly squeamish. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beer....if it ain't

placeholder-title.jpg

It ain't beer.....(Note: does not necessarily have to be Guinness, but it has to be dark....preferably warm)
I prefer the dark stuff, too. For a long time, my general view was that it had to look like used motor oil. I've since discovered some I like that aren't dark, but it's much easier to find one I l like if I start with "what's your darkest beer?"

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer the dark stuff, too. For a long time, my general view was that it had to look like used motor oil. I've since discovered some I like that aren't dark, but it's much easier to find one I l like if I start with "what's your darkest beer?"

I like trying different kinds. Love craft beer

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know why you don't just ask "where do you keep your used motor oil?". :p

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wwwwwwwhat! Surely she was barely conscious... yikes!

Nah. I've seen plenty of people who could walk at that level (not straight, but they could walk...).
The world record is something like 1400. It was a man in Poland who was driving a truck full of pigs to the market (yes. Driving.).

With hard work and dedication, it is possible to become a World Class, Olympic Caliber Alcoholic and walk around at levels that would render a regular person unconscious.

I've seen a guy have a withdrawal seizure with a BA of around 350.

The way BA is measured, that 1400 BA means that 1.4% of the mans blood was alcohol. Some of the "light" beers have alcohol levels of around 2-2.5%, so his blood was nearly as strong as beer.

In the ER, we have a thing called "The 500 Club." To qualify for membership, you have to have a BA of 500 or more, and be functional. You don't have to walk straight, but you do have to be coherent.
And you cannot have Performance Enhancing Drugs in your tox screen. If you're on meth or cocaine, you'll be awake past the point that you would have passed out otherwise. You gotta have standards...

The highest I've personally seen was a guy who was awake at 820.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

The only non-dark beers I drank with any regularity, in my youth, meaning when there was no dark beer available were Chinese and Japanese; Chinese - Tsingtao and Japanese - Sapporo, Kirin.

But I went for Newcastle Brown Ale before the Chinese and Japanese selections...if none were there...I left

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A lady tried to convince me that she had two shots of vodka, despite a BAL of around 500 (think BAC .5 ...not .05, .5). Yeah, I'm not buying that.
Well she probably had two shots of vodka. Not technically inaccurate. She just also had another 10 shots. :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah. I've seen plenty of people who could walk at that level (not straight, but they could walk...).
The world record is something like 1400. It was a man in Poland who was driving a truck full of pigs to the market (yes. Driving.).

With hard work and dedication, it is possible to become a World Class, Olympic Caliber Alcoholic and walk around at levels that would render a regular person unconscious.

I've seen a guy have a withdrawal seizure with a BA of around 350.

The way BA is measured, that 1400 BA means that 1.4% of the mans blood was alcohol. Some of the "light" beers have alcohol levels of around 2-2.5%, so his blood was nearly as strong as beer.

In the ER, we have a thing called "The 500 Club." To qualify for membership, you have to have a BA of 500 or more, and be functional. You don't have to walk straight, but you do have to be coherent.
And you cannot have Performance Enhancing Drugs in your tox screen. If you're on meth or cocaine, you'll be awake past the point that you would have passed out otherwise. You gotta have standards...

The highest I've personally seen was a guy who was awake at 820.
I don't suppose having dangerous chemicals in your blood lends you any superpowers, like they lead you to believe on comic books.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose having dangerous chemicals in your blood lends you any superpowers, like they lead you to believe on comic books.

No, but they do lead you to believe that you have super powers. The most common example of this is "beer muscles" or "meth muscles".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only non-dark beers I drank with any regularity, in my youth, meaning when there was no dark beer available were Chinese and Japanese; Chinese - Tsingtao and Japanese - Sapporo, Kirin.

But I went for Newcastle Brown Ale before the Chinese and Japanese selections...if none were there...I left
Sapporo is one of the non-dark beers I'm okay with.

When I'm in the mood, I'll do a flight of tasters to experience several. But it's almost always the darkest ones that taste best to me.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, but they do lead you to believe that you have super powers. The most common example of this is "beer muscles" or "meth muscles".
Well.... having had some of the Chernobyl fallout, I can honestly tell to all - radiation doesn't do squat for your superpowers either. Very disappointing, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions