Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention stress. A friend of mine (who is a certified personal trainer) was suggesting I go to the doctor to get all kinds of blood work done. One thing he said I should do is check my hormone levels because he believes that's what keeps me from losing weight. He was talking about how stress will release a hormone into your body that can make you retain weight.

The sad thing is: if this is true, then I will never lose weight. LOL Even if you took out the blending family stress, that would be replaced with OTHER forms.
Stress does contribute to weight gain. The stress reactions are a mis-use of the fight/flight processes, which include a recovery period that helps the body rebuild reserves spent in escaping harm. We don't spend those reserves in stress, and spend a lot of time in that recovery mode.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks!! yeah, much better today! had several friends
mentioned they had dealt with something similar recently..
if something is going around, I'm glad I'm done with it!
Apparently there has been a stomach bug going around. It's what I had a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't vomiting. I was nauseous, but my body chose...another...um, exit.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel different today. Somehow better. I can't explain why. Sometimes I feel like there is no point in wasting time determining why, because that is time spent not focusing on good feeling. Then again, if you figure out the reason, then maybe...just maybe...you can duplicate it, and feel good the next day, and the next day, and the next...

And so on, into infinity.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Horrible night's sleep. Ugh. I usually sleep like a baby, but not last night. Hope I'm not getting the bug you guys are complaining about (or any other bug, for that matter).

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blinked my eyes, and the day is 25% over! Yay!

And then tonight, I get to go to a counseling appointment with my ex-wife and 8 year old son. Not so "yay."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still groggy. Finished my drive back from Washington, DC area about 1AM. Dogs wanted out at 5AM. Not enough coffee for this.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish those of you who are awake would swing back to the "No Outside Game" thread. Some people are trying to steer it from intelligence discussion into mindless name calling and insults. I would hate to see that happen to a thread that is going so well.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wish those of you who are awake would swing back to the "No Outside Game" thread. Some people are trying to steer it from intelligence discussion into mindless name calling and insults. I would hate to see that happen to a thread that is going so well.

Sadly, it appears that there are those on MT that live for that sort of thing. Sorry, but I tend to stay out of the Wing Chun section if possible, I no longer do any Wing Chun and the arguments and lineage fights going on in that section are making the rest of the CMA world look good.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly, it appears that there are those on MT that live for that sort of thing. Sorry, but I tend to stay out of the Wing Chun section if possible, I no longer do any Wing Chun and the arguments and lineage fights going on in that section are making the rest of the CMA world look good.

I know. Sometimes I feel like staying in there because I want to set an example...that lineage politics does not HAVE to be such a huge part of Wing Chun, but there are those who don't want to follow that example.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shame of it is that some really good topics start in the Wing Chun section. I've never studied WC or anything close, but I keep watching it for the good questions and debates that start. I just wish they stayed as good as they start.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not trying to pour any gas on any fires, here. Honestly. But I'm curious.

I don't understand where the arguments come from. Are the details of the Wing Chun being practiced by all commenting vastly different? Or a little different?

And when Wing Chun is first being taught (generally, not specificly amongst those here) is the whole lineage thing being pointed out by the instructors to the students from the git go? Maybe fostering the whole bad feelings thing? Or has it just taken on a life of it's own somehow?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't understand where the arguments come from. Are the details of the Wing Chun being practiced by all commenting vastly different? Or a little different?

And when Wing Chun is first being taught (generally, not specificly amongst those here) is the whole lineage thing being pointed out by the instructors to the students from the git go? Maybe fostering the whole bad feelings thing? Or has it just taken on a life of it's own somehow?
Well, here's my observation from the "outside" (pun intended), Buka. Some folks seem to think their lineage does things very differently from other lineages. When asked about the differences (including by me), they have never presented much in the way of explanation that seemed to make sense to anyone else. I'm not surprised their explanations make no sense to me, but if they truly understand other WC well enough to definitively state the difference, they should also be able to explain it to those other lineages.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Well...at least it is Hawaiian gas your pouring :D

I no longer train any Wing Chun and I was never a big time trainer of it but I guess my lineage, if I had one, goes to Ip Man from 2 different directions. But I think part of the problem, and this is pure speculation, comes from the lineage battles between Ip Man Students in Hon Kong Wing Chun who all seem to be vying for the "True" Lineage. And this has only seemed to get worse with the Ip Man Movies.

Add into that the Mainland China Wing Chun group, who seems to be on the outside of all this and not all to happy about it.

This is only my Wing Chun "Outsider" view and it may be completely wrong

There are little differences and some major differences in forms between lineages, especially if you compare Mainland Wing Chun to Hong Kong Wing Chun

And when Wing Chun is first being taught (generally, not specificly amongst those here) is the whole lineage thing being pointed out by the instructors to the students from the git go?

I can only speak from what I experienced; yes and no. One sifu pointed it out almost immediately and the other I had to ask

Maybe fostering the whole bad feelings thing? .

In some cases yes and in some cases no. You have to understand that there simply are people who would get upset even if you hung em' with a new rope.

Or has it just taken on a life of it's own somehow?

I think most definitely, based on the history of lineage fights in many CMA styles. Taijiquan has them, Baguazhang has them, Dachengquan/Yiquan has them and I am told Xingyi has them as well (although I have not come across them in Xingyi myself). Name a CMA style and somewhere there is likely a lineage fight. IT all comes down to if you want to be a part of it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And now back to typical LPTv5 posting

Saw this and it made me laugh...but please...don't tell Chuck I laughed
mars-chuck-norris-mars-demotivational-poster-1260484727-550x486.jpg

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still groggy. Finished my drive back from Washington, DC area about 1AM. Dogs wanted out at 5AM. Not enough coffee for this.
Too bad. If i had known you were in the area we could have tried to meet up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad. If i had known you were in the area we could have tried to meet up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
That would have been nice. I was only in the area for one night, though, and spent that one evening visiting a local Aikido school on behalf of another MT member. I'll give you a shout the next time I'm up that way.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
-
I know. Sometimes I feel like staying in there because I want to set an example...that lineage politics does not HAVE to be such a huge part of Wing Chun, but there are those who don't want to follow that example.
With respect, Steve, and genuinely not trying to bust your chops, if you post about respect and setting an example, and at the same time talk about posting intelligently, call people trolls and other overt signs of disrespect, you aren't helping. Also, using this thread as a venue for talking about other posters (or at any point talking about people) is not the way a trustworthy person acts.

And to be clear, sometimes, it's fun to get muddy. We all do it, from time to time. But don't kid yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions