Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
And if you rub cayenne powder in your eyes, your vision will improve.

[Disclaimer: please don't actually do either of these things.]
You know, jokes aside, we used some seriously sadistic folk medicine devices back in Ukraine - due to lack of real medicine. Or rather... lack of its availability to regular people.

For example - mustard squares. They are little squares of paper covered with ground mustard on one side. You dip them in water and then slap them on your back and chest. Wrap yourself up in a towel and stay with them for 20 minutes. It's for loosening the phlegm. Hurts like hell and you smell like mustard for like three days.

Vacuum jars. They look like little lightbulbs made of very thick glass. You put the patient on his stomach, light up a match, stick it into each jar to burn out the air and create vacuum, then quickly stick them onto the patient's back. The vacuum in the jars creates suction and gets the chest crud moving, makes the coughs more productive. Also hurts like hell, and you walk around with little round spots on your back - bruises from the suction - for at least a week.

There are a few other things... Good times...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Vacuum jars. They look like little lightbulbs made of very thick glass. You put the patient on his stomach, light up a match, stick it into each jar to burn out the air and create vacuum, then quickly stick them onto the patient's back. The vacuum in the jars creates suction and gets the chest crud moving, makes the coughs more productive. Also hurts like hell, and you walk around with little round spots on your back - bruises from the suction - for at least a week.

They use this is Chinese Medicine too, for various reasons on various parts of your body. And I trust virtually nothing...but they actually work most of the time

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
They use this is Chinese Medicine too, for various reasons on various parts of your body. And I trust virtually nothing...but they actually work most of the time
Then there was this totally vomitous concoction - warm milk with crushed walnuts, honey, and aloe emulsion. I suppose it had a point - it was so gross you didn't care what else was bothering you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Had it done to me on several occasions by Chinese medicine men in L.A.
Son of a gun, worked like a charm each time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had it done to me on several occasions by Chinese medicine men in L.A.
Son of a gun, worked like a charm each time.
You know, as I read this, I kinda expected it to say, "Had it done to me on several occasions by the actor in Iron Monkey."

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Managed to squish in whole 20 minutes of translation today. Woo-pte-doo... My translation schedule is more than a little bit in the toilet.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Next time, be looking!
I was just kidding. We were talking about throws. Which means, throwing was involved. I am not even sure what happened with that connective tissue. Must have tried to fall and cough at the same time - I still have a cold. Note to all - don't do that. Falling is not a time to multitask. ;-)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds about like my journaling schedule....
The good news is - I've disciplined myself to a point where I can, indeed, make progress in 20 minutes. It wasn't always that way - you sort of have to adjust your brain for the task, because, when you translate, you think in two languages at the same time.

The bad news is - I have a translation list about the length of the Great Wall of China, all either authors virtually unknown outside of Ukraine and Russia or less-known works by well-known authors. My goal is to get out 5-6 new works every year, and right now it looks... daunting.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Snow day....office closed. Awesome.....I love winter.

WsipVWx.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
woke up this morning....SURPRISE!!!! it snowed.

Luckily it was only about an inch of light fluffy snow...... 3 to 5 inches on the way for tomorrow
I hope I won't wake up to that surprise tomorrow.
I am off today, and they are already panicking over s*** here.

But then again, when your only sand truck driver in town turns the rig over during the snowmageddon....I suppose there is reason to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions