Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Get better fast.
After 5 months off for treatment of my throat cancer (surgery, chemo and radiation), I'm finally back. First two shifts, I thought I was doing good (not busy...). Third shift, I spent three hours in a resuscitation of an HIV+, alcoholic, GI bleed with a hemoglobin of 3 (!). He got alllll the tubes and alllllll the meds and alllllll the bloods. I was damn near dead myself by the time we got him stabilized and off to ICU.

Thanks DD, and right back atcha. That wasn't exactly a slow transition back to work for you. I don't suppose there might actually BE any slow transitions in your field, but still.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks. I think it did, but we've got a PET scan scheduled for next month to make sure it's all gone.
Even as long as I've been in the ER, it amazes me how much treatment like this takes out of you. I had a tonsillectomy and a radical neck dissection followed by daily chemo and radiation. I pretty much got up, went to treatment, and then went back to bed, exhausted. If I slept 19 hours a day, I was only tired, not a zombie.

I've still got no salivary gland function, so cotton mouth is a way of life and eating is...interesting... Minimal taste (which is a vast improvement over the months with ZERO taste, or the 6 weeks when the muscles used to swallow were paralyzed and I had to use a feeding tube). The left side of my face, neck and shoulder are numb. My beard hasn't grown back (except a soul patch), and I'm no longer a blond.
All of that I can work with, though. :)

Our senior students all pitched in to help at the dojang, which doesn't surprise me at all.

One tough hombre.

And we still love you even though you ain't a blond!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One tough hombre.

And we still love you even though you ain't a blond!
91Sq3-v72yL._SY355_.jpg

Because he's worth it!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I think it did, but we've got a PET scan scheduled for next month to make sure it's all gone.
Even as long as I've been in the ER, it amazes me how much treatment like this takes out of you. I had a tonsillectomy and a radical neck dissection followed by daily chemo and radiation. I pretty much got up, went to treatment, and then went back to bed, exhausted. If I slept 19 hours a day, I was only tired, not a zombie.

I've still got no salivary gland function, so cotton mouth is a way of life and eating is...interesting... Minimal taste (which is a vast improvement over the months with ZERO taste, or the 6 weeks when the muscles used to swallow were paralyzed and I had to use a feeding tube). The left side of my face, neck and shoulder are numb. My beard hasn't grown back (except a soul patch), and I'm no longer a blond.
All of that I can work with, though. :)

Our senior students all pitched in to help at the dojang, which doesn't surprise me at all.
what do you mean you no longer blond?? do you feel any smarter now?!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
today was a pretty good day at class. came home late but nonetheless good training!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you mean you no longer blond?? do you feel any smarter now?!

My mustache and the soul patch are very dark. Nearly black. I was red-blond up till now.
It's a not uncommon side effect of certain chemo agents.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I use to be blonde, very blonde actually...pretty much the same color as the woman n the box in granfire's post..... but then...I got old and it turned white

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mustache and the soul patch are very dark. Nearly black. I was red-blond up till now.
It's a not uncommon side effect of certain chemo agents.
That's a hell of a lotta effort to go through, DD. There are easier ways to dye your hair.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
so i just got my Venum Challenger gi delivered. very nice uniform but they run small. at first try on the pants fit great but the top fits ok. im just nervous about how it will fit after a washing. i ordered the A2.5 size thinking that a good wash should bring it in nicely. the A2.5 says its for guys 5'9 to 6"0 and 165 to 180 pounds. but i am only 5'8 and 175. so i will keep it and wash it (air dry) hope for the best and lose some weight. :meh:

the belt i am a little confused about. i got a white belt with it (sold separate) but the belt comes with a sewn on 4 inch long black bock, where stripes should go. i have no idea why they would do this.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so i just got my Venum Challenger gi delivered. very nice uniform but they run small. at first try on the pants fit great but the top fits ok. im just nervous about how it will fit after a washing. i ordered the A2.5 size thinking that a good wash should bring it in nicely. the A2.5 says its for guys 5'9 to 6"0 and 165 to 180 pounds. but i am only 5'8 and 175. so i will keep it and wash it (air dry) hope for the best and lose some weight. :meh:

the belt i am a little confused about. i got a white belt with it (sold separate) but the belt comes with a sewn on 4 inch long black bock, where stripes should go. i have no idea why they would do this.
ah, you're a little tea pot, short and stout....
(sorry...I am insane these days, just barely keeping it together)
:D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a nice Bolognese going in the slow cooker. I love slow cookers. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do apologize - to her! ;)
Like I said, sanity is a chore to hold on to these days! :cat:

But seriously....I am 5'5", and around 140....and not toned these days....
Don't worry - if she truly objected to short jokes, she'd never have married me. I've been making them since I outgrew my mom (who is even shorter) around 7th grade.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do apologize - to her! ;)
Like I said, sanity is a chore to hold on to these days! :cat:

But seriously....I am 5'5", and around 140....and not toned these days....
Don't worry - if she truly objected to short jokes, she'd never have married me. I've been making them since I outgrew my mom (who is even shorter) around 7th grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.