Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is nuts, man. I'd be happy to have the hundred adults, but everything I've heard from folks running schools tells me that you need those kids to get those adults.

Back in the eighties he didn't teach kids. I told him he was crazy, that they pay the rent if you have a decent program for them. He listened. Which, of course, I reminded him of today. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the eighties he didn't teach kids. I told him he was crazy, that they pay the rent if you have a decent program for them. He listened. Which, of course, I reminded him of today. :)
That's probably the #1 reason I don't teach full-time. I don't have a passion for teaching kids - I don't really have a curriculum for it, even. So I know I can't afford my own place unless a lottery comes through or something (or I find a partner who wants to teach their kids curriculum).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gave blood today. I'm not reacting well to it - lethargic all day. It occurs to me that I've never been this old before when giving blood. That seemed like a revelation when it happened in my head, if that tells you anything about the effect the bloodletting has had.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gave blood today. I'm not reacting well to it - lethargic all day. It occurs to me that I've never been this old before when giving blood. That seemed like a revelation when it happened in my head, if that tells you anything about the effect the bloodletting has had.
well, you will be older yet, next time you give blood.

Have some OJ

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's hope my blood pressure is better next time. I have low blood pressure most of the time. Today, it was 98/56 before I gave blood.
sure you are still alive?
How come they let you donate?

I don't even know what mine is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure you are still alive?
How come they let you donate?

I don't even know what mine is.
I've only been turned down once because of my low BP. I didn't ask what my BP was that day - wish I had. I did learn about 20 years ago not to go to the snack table. Once, I made it to the table, and blacked out in my cookies. Another time, I made it halfway there. Now, they bring me cookies and juice at the chair, and I stay there about 10 minutes before I get up.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's hope my blood pressure is better next time. I have low blood pressure most of the time. Today, it was 98/56 before I gave blood.

If it's any comfort, one unit of blood isn't generally enough to affect your BP.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was talking to my buddy from back east. He's been running the same dojo since 76. He currently has a hundred active adults, and three hundred active children students. Three fricken' hundred. Can you even imagine? That's just nuts.
Don't know if you ever knew Buzz Durkin up in NH. He just got his 10th Dan,,,but his school used to run around 800 to 1000 students. It's a really nice school. Lots of staff and very professional, like everything he does.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't know if you ever knew Buzz Durkin up in NH. He just got his 10th Dan,,,but his school used to run around 800 to 1000 students. It's a really nice school. Lots of staff and very professional, like everything he does.

I know who Buzz is from a long time ago, never really knew him well. But I tell ya, it's so great to see that all these guys are still training. And there's a bunch of them, as I'm sure you know. Uechi will always hold a place in my heart. I'm so thankful to have been a part of it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's any comfort, one unit of blood isn't generally enough to affect your BP.
I presumed as much, or I'd be unable to stand afterwards. It seems to make me a bit more prone to greying out (which in the two cases I mentioned turned into blacking out) - but I grey out sometimes just standing up, so that's not a big change.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well whaddaya know....today is worse than yesterday and on a par with Sunday......and its not even 12:00 yet.....
Sorry to hear that, man. Today seems more real than yesterday - I think it has to do with not having given up a unit of blood.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oddly, I give fast. I don't understand the physics of that. Both my low BP and the speed at which the bag fills always surprise the folks at Red Cross..

They look at you and decide you can handle the big bore needle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions