Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
And back to grade 6 it is! Been back for a little over a week now. The atmosphere is so much better here, and I am not saying that simply because this agency is on the 17th floor while other one was on the 2nd!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And back to grade 6 it is! Been back for a little over a week now. The atmosphere is so much better here, and I am not saying that simply because this agency is on the 17th floor while other one was on the 2nd!
Congratulations on your demotion! :D Seriously, it sounds like you're a lot happier, and I commend you on making decisions based on quality of life, and not just on salary.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on your demotion! :D Seriously, it sounds like you're a lot happier, and I commend you on making decisions based on quality of life, and not just on salary.

I still had that part-time job and freelance writing gigs to back me up. During the grade 13 stint, I had reduced the part-time job to one night per week with the intention of leaving completely once I had passed probation.

Unfortunately, some thing happened at the previous agency that made my paranoia kick in. I went to work every day worried and nervous. That is no way to spend 8 hours of your day. So before they could mark me as "probation terminated," which is the equivalent of the "blue screen of death" for state workers, I said, "You can't fire me...I quit!"

I also said, "Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin' here no more."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Well if you're not happy and can afford to go back to a 6 then there is no reason to stay.

Work at a state agency where a gentleman was seriously underpaid for his degrees. (masters in math and physics). He was a grade 12 I believe, but he was happy. Then he made the mistake of letting people know what his degree was and the powers that be went and check it with personnel.. They needed him in another unit and they offered him a gr25 position. He refused, they threatened to eliminate his current title so he took the promotion and he was miserable for several years. Eventually he was able to get an upgrade to the M levels where he was happier, but he always liked the 12 much better. Well, at least he has a better retirement, and he is likely retired by now.

And I've seen worse in my years in this wonderful state too.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if you're not happy and can afford to go back to a 6 then there is no reason to stay.

Work at a state agency where a gentleman was seriously underpaid for his degrees. (masters in math and physics). He was a grade 12 I believe, but he was happy. Then he made the mistake of letting people know what his degree was and the powers that be went and check it with personnel.. They needed him in another unit and they offered him a gr25 position. He refused, they threatened to eliminate his current title so he took the promotion and he was miserable for several years. Eventually he was able to get an upgrade to the M levels where he was happier, but he always liked the 12 much better. Well, at least he has a better retirement, and he is likely retired by now.

And I've seen worse in my years in this wonderful state too.

Oh believe me, there was no happiness to be found there...unless of course you were a pretty female. THEN the boss loved you and let you get away with murder, but if you were a 40 year old male, he would come down on you for every little mistake you made...and oddly enough, he would do it in front of the pretty female staff, no less!

I don't need to work under a douche like that.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, there were many reasons for leaving beside him. I'm sure you might read the above and think, "A boss with a crappy attitude? Is that NEWS to you?"

The answer: no it's not, but I don't feel like airing the entire thing. My Spidey sense told me it would be better to leave on MY terms instead of theirs.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Also, there were many reasons for leaving beside him. I'm sure you might read the above and think, "A boss with a crappy attitude? Is that NEWS to you?"

The answer: no it's not, but I don't feel like airing the entire thing. My Spidey sense told me it would be better to leave on MY terms instead of theirs.

Other promotional opportunities will appear

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh believe me, there was no happiness to be found there...unless of course you were a pretty female. THEN the boss loved you and let you get away with murder, but if you were a 40 year old male, he would come down on you for every little mistake you made...and oddly enough, he would do it in front of the pretty female staff, no less!

I don't need to work under a douche like that.
Err... you know you're accusing your former boss of something that is illegal. Right?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Err... you know you're accusing your former boss of something that is illegal. Right?

Yes, and I know this becaue the agency I was in actually investigated such complaints.

And in fact, I was not the original accuser. Someone else in that office said, "He wanted a female in that position, so that's probably the sticking point."

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they investigate discrimination complaints, I wonder who investigates them if THEY are accused of that. Must be some internal affairs kind of unit.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are idiots, and then there are idiots...
Been trying to get a photo of a Jackson Chameleon catching it's lunch - you know, foot long tongue catching a bug out of the air. Hard to focus properly when they're in the bushes, have to catch them on a branch with a clear background. And with no tripod, the shoulders get sore and shaky after a while.

Just got a corker of a shot, the one I've been waiting for over eight months.......didn't have the memory card in. Just shoot me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Been trying to get a photo of a Jackson Chameleon catching it's lunch - you know, foot long tongue catching a bug out of the air. Hard to focus properly when they're in the bushes, have to catch them on a branch with a clear background. And with no tripod, the shoulders get sore and shaky after a while.

Just got a corker of a shot, the one I've been waiting for over eight months.......didn't have the memory card in. Just shoot me.

629c34a0d9a2d5baa3d79e3cc5a3e384.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just drink hot water.
I do that a lot at work, to the astonishment of my coworkers.
But I don't want coffee all the time, and don't like cold water much.
So hot water it is.
(heard a well known German Opera singer say she did that when she hosted a show. She was drinking from a delicate China cup. Nobody ever knew she had only water, and not tea or coffee.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That BLOWS!

Had a series of great shots. Clear blue skies, but the cumulus clouds grew rapidly....
no card in the camera.
Half my shot for naught!
(but that happened back in the olden days as well - no film....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Been on MT since 2006 and there are only 2 people on my ignore list. To get there you have to be mostly argumentative and post absolutely nothing of worth IMO, I do believe it is soon to be 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.