Last grading experience

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let's face it, gradings are something all of us want to do at some point, though whether it's to test ourselves against a standard, or just to get a new brightly coloured belt depends on the person. Either way, gradings should be memorable. So, here's the topic of my thread: what was your last grading like?

To kick it all off, I'll detail mine. My last grading was for my green belt in Jujutsu. And I have to admit, I was worried. Not so much about my techniques, which I felt were up to the task, or about my defences... I was worried about my middle work. That's the name we give to our more advanced tests of self defence ability, where one candidate gets out in frotn of the rest and shows their stuff. 2 lines of attackers form, and one of the sensei will send attackers out at a speed he feels will push the candidate to the limit of what they can do to see if they crack under the pressure. It's quite scary when you're out there, especially when they introduce weapons to the group, ones that you quite often won't see until the opponent is right on top of you trying to hit you with it.

In addition, I'd broken my second toe the week before, so I was limping and unable to move quite as fast as I'd have liked. I bound it up and just hoped no-one would tread on it throughout the the grading.

On that count I was to be severely disappointed. I counted no less than 4 separate stamps on that one toe, one of which pulled the dressing right off. So needless to say, it hurt for a while after that.

During the grading, I had the time of my life for the most part, managing to demonstrate all of the theory without making a complete fool of myself (unlike me previous grading where I fell over during a foot sweep and landed at the feet of the examiner...:rolleyes: ). That left only the middle work to go.

I was the last one at my grade to be called out, so I'd gone through the "V" several times and was really feeling mytoe now.. very painful by this point. When I was called up, I was really worried, as several people had done a really good job of defending themselves, while others had fallen apart and lost control of their attackers. I felt certain I would fall into the latter group and panic, but for the most part I managed to stay calm through the attacks, only getting hit twice throughout. Unfortunately for me, the second of the attacks that hit was a cosh, which broke over my head. I still managed to survive a few more attacks before the examiner was satisfied, at which point I was allowed to rest for a moment before finishing the grading.

Although we aren't allowed to see exactly how well we did, I think I probably got a comfortable pass, but by no means the top mark. I hope to put even more effort into my next grading so I can make my instructors proud when I get the grade.

Apologies, I'm not usually this long winded ;)

K

KanoLives

My last test was just this past Friday for green belt in Chinese Kempo. I was the highest rank testing which meant I had to do everything that everyone else did, then all of the things I was being tested for. I was having a good test but hadn't eaten anything all day. 15 mins before the test I drank a huge glass of a protien shake made with milk. Bad idea. About an hour into the test. :barf: I was in the middle of a form and it hit me. I lost concentration and focused on me being sick. I finished the form with my instructor telling me to put more power as I was trying to hold the sickness back. I had already finished 4 forms previous and everyone could tell my instensity had diminished to just going through the motions. I finished the form bowed to my instructor and said excuse me sir. I made a B line to the bathroom and :barf: Once I came back out I had to re-do the form and then finish my other 2 I had left. I'm proud to say I hung in there because at the time of being sick, I had no desire to continue and the test went on for another hour. At the end of the test my instructor joked about chalking me up on the infamous list. :D I got my green belt though. :D

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My last test was back in february of this year for my green in kenpo. I went into the test with the flu. Pretty good temp and the usual body aches. Luckily I hadn't had to deal with throwing up so I figure I was doing o.k. There was no-one there except the instructor and myself. He asked if I was up to the task of testing with the flu because the test was the test sick or not. I agreed to test as I was. I made it through the test, dragged my sorry butt to the car and promptly fell asleep. Half an hour later one of the other students that was due to test that evening (everyone tested alone regardless of rank) woke me up. I made it home and slept for the next FOURTEEN hours. I think I sweated the flu out of me 'cause when I woke up I was just about over the flu bug.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tested for my 3rd Brown two weeks ago. We had 4 adults testing for their Yellow Belts and a few other adults testing for orange and blue.

In the weeks leading up to the test, the instructors review every bodies material, so they don't put someone up for testing if they are not able to succeed. We also get our physical requirements completed before the night of the testing.

When the Yellow Belt candidates finished their material, the head instructor paired the rest of us off with the studio black belts. And we ran our techniques on the body. Now, he will often do this with one or two levels of the test. But we ran all the techniques through 3rd Brown against our instructors. When the other students sat down, the instructors ran the techniques on each other. And we ran the technique both ways ..... once as aggressor, once as defender. So the test ended up being a big review for the black belts in the studio.

What is interesting to me is WHY the head instructor decided to run the test in this manner.... to have a review for his instructors? ... for inspiration and demonstration to the new yellow belts? ... or just to be a ball buster?

The day after the test, we do a 'Promotion Ceremony' for friends and family. At this ceremony, each of the students being promoted demonstrates a technique or two for those assembled. The most memorable thing for me, was the comment one of the Kenpo Kids made after I ran through my portion of the presentation .... 'Wow ... How did you do That? That was Awesome'. .... and I didn't think I ran the techniques very well at all.

Thanks for letting me share ... Mike

OP
Aegis

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We don't get a promotion ceremony. After the grading one of the sensei will come out with a list a read the names of those who passed. Then we'll go for an unofficial ceremony involving lots of alcohol.

T

TangSooGuy

Well, my last test was earlier this year for 4th Dan...it was pretty brutal, but in a good way. This is actually the 2nd time I did this, since it's pretty much an unwritten rule that noone passes for 4th Dan the first time: they want to see how you've changed over the past year. You only pay the test fee when you pass, though, so I'm okay with that.

First off, the test was part of a several day long training camp for masters and masters candidates...

So training started at noon on Thursday, and kept going straight through Saturday- the only time we weren't raining, we were in seminars, eating, or sleeping. Saturday was quite memorable, consisting of various seminars including topics such as knife defense, grappling, group sparring, Tai Chi, etc...

We did group forms for about 3 hours, encompassing every empty hand form I know, at least twice, some 5 or six times, and the one we third dans were learning at least 70-80 times in a row...it seems strange to some, but i was having the time of my life.

Following that was a judging practicum, including both written testand practical application- still having a blast at this point.

Then all the 4th Dan candidates got together for some independent training-they let us do pretty much whatever we wanted, as long as we were legitimately training- anyone who wanted to slack off at this point heard about it...

After that was the written test..including technique, history, philosophy, teaching methodology, and first aid...

About 10:00 PM the physical test started, and warm-ups lasted about 45 minutes, since most of the testing panel was in a meeting. I had a pool of sweat on the ground in front of me before the real test had even started.

We proceeded to go through pretty much everything we knew- basics, impromptu combinations, forms, one step techniques with a consitentline of attackers one after the other, self-defensetechniques in which some attackers were armed with knives and others were not, and you had to react to whatever was thrown at you, sparring against several different partners one on one, sparring two -on-one, then breaking.

During two on one sperring I got blasted with a full power side kick to the groin which lifted me off the ground- and the cup didn't help much. I knew it was bad when I looked up and saw the entire test panel leaning forward with extremely wide eyes. They made me leave the flloor for a bit, but luckily that was he last thing before breaking, and I was able to come back and break successfully.

After that we each had to answer an oral question in a short impromptu presentation, and we were done at around 2:00 or 3:00 AM, I can't honestly remember, but were up the next morning finishing off our final training for the weekend.

I may have some of the events a little mixed up in my head now, but it was pretty intense overall and hadthe time of my life...

I passed this test but that is only for a sort ofprobationary 4th degree everyone has to go through now...as a studio owner I have to go back and do it all again next year to test for my master's belt...and I can't wait :)

Ovcerall, I'd have to say it was one of the best experiences I've ever had...I left everything i had on that floor, and I came out on top, and even though I felt like crap physically after it all, emotionally I was on a real high.

One thing I'll be happy not to have to do next year though: all the 3rd Dans have to sing for every meal. You do not want to hear me sing....maybe that was some of their motivation or passing me :)

I consider myself fortunate for having made it this far...I know some that have been there manyyears and haven't gotten there yet, but perseverance is the key...

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well my last Grading was in October for 2 hours! All of us were there who were being graded for whatever sash they were getting! It was very hard and everyone regardless of rank was sweating! We had to run through our normal techniques as out intructor commanded, stance work, pad work and then finally do all the forms we know and the new ones we had learned and like me going for Blue sash thats about 7 forms including a weapon form! And my next grading is in early April which will mean same again but 10 forms and that will be for Yellow sash! Again it will be very hard going but I'm glad because as my instructor says he likes to make us work for it so it feels like we have earnt it!

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Korean arts have a real reputation for being tough for grading.

My TKD instructor years back had to spar two opponents, TShirts Camo bottoms and boots as part of the format. He said, and I guess others would know better than I, that they had garbage cans around the training area and at different times the tested students would use them when they got sick - either from stress or intensity. He was working with ROK Marines at the time, so I don't know if this is the way TKD tests generally go here or not, but wow!

Paul M

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Korean arts have a real reputation for being tough for grading.

My TKD instructor years back had to spar two opponents, TShirts Camo bottoms and boots as part of the format. He said, and I guess others would know better than I, that they had garbage cans around the training area and at different times the tested students would use them when they got sick - either from stress or intensity. He was working with ROK Marines at the time, so I don't know if this is the way TKD tests generally go here or not, but wow!

Paul M
From what I know about TKD gradings you have to go through the pattern you have learnt and have to remember certain Korean terms, some sparring, training etc. I guess as soon as you get to black belt level it gets even more tougher! So how long ago was that, when your instructor had that particular grading?
My gradings are quite hard but we are always graded by out instructor and he does have a habit of making them hard! And also we only call him "sifu" at the gradings but in class we call him by his name unless told otherwise! I really don't know why that is! But don't think just because of this we all get away with not training hard because we do and there have been some good fighters and forms champions come out of our class!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In our upper level tests, its all about fighting. My last test was for brown level and this is how it went. Started with a 4 minute horse stance with a staff across my knees. Finished that, did a three mile timed run, then did my forms for that level. After the forms was the 45 minutes of fighting. I had to fight most of my sihings (more advanced students), then my sifu. All of it was pretty challenging but the fighting is allways where people break. My sifu will push you to the point you are so tired you would rather just collapse and get hit, then he turns it up a few notches and pushes you to see if you will break or get angry or what. Its not unusual to have some throwing up or a little blood. Sometimes he will push you until you break just to see how long it takes you. Pretty intense, but I love it. My next test is for black so I'm a little nervous about that!

7sm

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
In our upper level tests, its all about fighting. My last test was for brown level and this is how it went. Started with a 4 minute horse stance with a staff across my knees. Finished that, did a three mile timed run, then did my forms for that level. After the forms was the 45 minutes of fighting. I had to fight most of my sihings (more advanced students), then my sifu. All of it was pretty challenging but the fighting is allways where people break. My sifu will push you to the point you are so tired you would rather just collapse and get hit, then he turns it up a few notches and pushes you to see if you will break or get angry or what. Its not unusual to have some throwing up or a little blood. Sometimes he will push you until you break just to see how long it takes you. Pretty intense, but I love it. My next test is for black so I'm a little nervous about that!

7sm

Hi 7sm

Your gradings sound very interesting! As harsh as the training is, its good in that its preparing you for actual combat and pushing you to your limits to see what you can achieve! My training has been so hard sometimes that I have thrown up. I have also injured my hand and dislocated my thumb while sparring! As well as being punched and having a sore jaw from my instructor!
I think gradings should reflect whats expected of students to attain their next belt/sash. Because I would like to feel I have earnt getting a brown sash or black sash! I'm going for my next sash which is Yellow sash and after that it will be brown!
Well I wish you luck 7*!

Latest Discussions