Lights out

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My nihon goshin aikido school will, on a fairly regular basis, run attack lines with the lights in the dojo off. The only light in the room is what filters in through the waiting room from the street and a couple of sky lights. We've done attacks from standing in the middle of a circle (nage looks at an individual and they attack), straight line attacks, multiples, and one drill where the student must walk between two rows of attackers who will attack at random from the front, side or back. These nights are great training. It really teaches you to rely on your other senses and to flow with a tech by feeling how your attacker is reacting.

How many of you train with this type of drill and if you do how do you feel it has helped you.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wev'e trained outdoors after dark... with just streetlights, or moonlight or whatever light was availible. Its pretty cool, much more challenging to fight this way

T

TangSooGuy

We have often trained with the lights out, outside in the dark, with eyes closed, or blindfolded for parts of classes.

It really adds something to your training, in my opinion, in that you can't always rely on your eyes to help you out of any given situation.

Doing self-defense, forms, breaking, or sparring blindfolded adds a whole extra dimension.

It does put added pressure n the part of the instructor though, to ensure that no one gets hurt.

For my 3rd Dan pre-test i had to spar 3 other black belts simultaneously while I was bindfolded. I pretty much got my butt kicked, but i got in a few good shots here and there, and it was a valuabe lesson in how we rely way to much on our eyes...

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we run the gauntlet in the dark with just light coming in from outside the studio.. or with blindfolds on.. with attackers coming from varied 'doorways'.. it's a good practice.. sometimes you're backed up against a wall.. or someone attacks from an alley. Think I'm gonna take it outside for the womens college class.. parked cars etc.. should be interesting..

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
we've done the lights out thing....sometimes with a strobe light...thats weird.

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Ender
we've done the lights out thing....sometimes with a strobe light...thats weird.
Did anyone suffer an epileptic attack?

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by KenpoTess
hahaa I bet it's weird.. two things come to mind.. Disco fighting and police car strobes flashing ~!!
Go to a nightclub in Brixton. You'll get both at the same venue...

S

Shinzu

im gonna have to try these things out in class. thanx for the great ideas!

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
hahaa I bet it's weird.. two things come to mind.. Disco fighting and police car strobes flashing ~!!

*l..well if ya get in a fight at a dance club...you're prepared!

C

clapping_tiger

Iwould also like to thank you for the post. I never would have thought of that. I will have to suggest we do this too, afterall it makes perfect sense. You are probably more likely to be attack in a dark setting.

R

rmcrobertson

Nope, never.

I also haven't trained against recoiless rifles, nuclear holocausts, the Second Coming, asteroid impact, the establishment of a military dictatorship in the United States...

I apologize. But these fantasies of achieving invulnerability...not to mention the fact that if you train well, you shouldn't notice whether or not the lights are on...and the fact that a class or two with the lights out, when in your heart you KNOW you're pretty safe won't suffice...

Folks, we're amateurs, thank whoever....

Sure, train all whichways. Wednesday, Clyde ran techniques out of a chair...and that's fine. But...well, maybe it's just me.

Given the actual threats confronting Americans, wouldn't it be better to a) get a bath mat, b) make sure the electricals in the house are up to code, c) work on eliminating the sources of street violence, d) take a course in defensive driving, e) work on better diet?

I have a good friend who's a 3rd in tang soo do. He doesn't seem to mention lights out training...I'll have to ask.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Nope, never.

I also haven't trained against recoiless rifles, nuclear holocausts, the Second Coming, asteroid impact, the establishment of a military dictatorship in the United States...

I apologize. But these fantasies of achieving invulnerability...not to mention the fact that if you train well, you shouldn't notice whether or not the lights are on...and the fact that a class or two with the lights out, when in your heart you KNOW you're pretty safe won't suffice...

Folks, we're amateurs, thank whoever....

Sure, train all whichways. Wednesday, Clyde ran techniques out of a chair...and that's fine. But...well, maybe it's just me.

Given the actual threats confronting Americans, wouldn't it be better to a) get a bath mat, b) make sure the electricals in the house are up to code, c) work on eliminating the sources of street violence, d) take a course in defensive driving, e) work on better diet?

I have a good friend who's a 3rd in tang soo do. He doesn't seem to mention lights out training...I'll have to ask.

I dont think that it has anything to do with making yourself invulnerable to anything. Its just another way to break the routine from the same old training routine. Clyde doing the tech. out of a chair, IMO, is a great thing to do. Why? It puts yourself in a different situation. Once your reach a certain level, you should start to explore the what ifs! Granted, there is no way to possibly prepare yourself for every single situation you're going to come across, but then again, you can ask yourself, why have so many tech. then? There are tech. for a left punch, right punch, hair grab, bear hug, front and rear, and then list goes on and on and on and on!! Are we not training for different situations here??-----my point--- If you are seated and dont have a chance to get up before you are attacked, you should know what you are going to be able to do/not do. Walking to your car at 2am after leaving the movies---what if you get attacked? Are you going to be able to see as good as you can in the dojo? I dont think so.

Its no different than training in street clothes. Even if its something that you dont do in class, why not do it on your own? We dont wear that comfy gi everywhere we go, right. Training in shoes is going to give you a much different feel to your kicking.

And before the bashing starts, because I can already see it coming--- I'm not telling anyone how to train. If its something that you choose not to do, thats fine. But, just because someone else does it, does not make it wrong.

Mike

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"To each his own" :)

That's what makes us all individuals.. which is a good thing.. how boring we would all be if we were cookie cutter clones in training or in any other way :)

R

rmcrobertson

I realize this response is useless.

But two points again:

First, these posts suggest that at some point, all situations will have been covered and the practitioner will become invulnerable.

Second--for all the claims of practicality--you are in far more danger while driving than you will ever be "on the street," unless you've deliberately chosen to walk in way over your head.

It's fine--even great to train all which ways. But the claims that it's necessary, that it's practical...that's the movies. That's "Bloodsport."

Incidentally, maybe there's a chance that those much-despised impractical, worthless and old-fashioned kata teach this sort of stuff. Especially if you do them with your eyes shut.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only speaking for our school.. we like to break up the routine and do new things.. not necessarily trying to gear ourselves up for the 'what if's'.. just to add something different and challenging.. We have Fun at our studio.. :) We sometimes spar in streetclothes, and we do take downs at times when we spar.. we also do our techniques from the ground position when we can..
I'm not saying this is going to help us in any kind of reality situation.. That is a personal issue that each individual will have to deal with if an attack arises.. Will they be ready? Let's hope so. .will Lights out training have helped them? Who knows.. maybe.. maybe not.. but again.. it's all shaded in tones of black and white..

Nobody here is wrong in their viewpoints and ideas..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But two points again:

First, these posts suggest that at some point, all situations will have been covered and the practitioner will become invulnerable.

I havent seen anywhere on here where these posts are suggesting that. Nobody has ever said that you will be invulnerable, but it will aid in your being prepared for situations that you might come across.

Second--for all the claims of practicality--you are in far more danger while driving than you will ever be "on the street," unless you've deliberately chosen to walk in way over your head.

How are you going to realize that you are in over your head until you are already in the situation??

It's fine--even great to train all which ways. But the claims that it's necessary, that it's practical...that's the movies. That's "Bloodsport."

I dont recall anybody saying that it was necessary. Its just giving you another way of doing something.

Incidentally, maybe there's a chance that those much-despised impractical, worthless and old-fashioned kata teach this sort of stuff. Especially if you do them with your eyes shut.

How is doing kata going to help you fight in the dark? Yes, I have done kata with my eyes closed, but we are talking about 2 different things here. Doing something with our eyes closed, and having them open, but being in low or no light conditions.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only speaking for our school.. we like to break up the routine and do new things.. not necessarily trying to gear ourselves up for the 'what if's'.. just to add something different and challenging.. We have Fun at our studio.. :) We sometimes spar in streetclothes, and we do take downs at times when we spar.. we also do our techniques from the ground position when we can..
I'm not saying this is going to help us in any kind of reality situation.. That is a personal issue that each individual will have to deal with if an attack arises.. Will they be ready? Let's hope so. .will Lights out training have helped them? Who knows.. maybe.. maybe not.. but again.. it's all shaded in tones of black and white..

Nobody here is wrong in their viewpoints and ideas..

Tess- You bring up alot of good points, and you are correct-- Will it help you? Who knows. It may and it may not. Doing something different is a great way of breaking up the same old routine of doing things. You mention sparring in street clothes, doing takedowns, etc. all of which are excellent things to do.

Again, will it help? IMO, anything different that you do in your training will help in some way!:D

Mike

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
anytime you have something unexpected it helps the practitioner, recognize, analyze and create a plan of action/reaction. Sure some may a bit wierd, but it adds to the fun, and breaks up the routine.