Iron Mike Tyson In K-1

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should be interesting! I think that he might stand a chance if he's able to start working his punches, but against the kicks, and Tyson I'm sure isnt a kicker, would probably take a beating. It would be interesting to see though. Hopefully he'll keep his attitude in check and won't bite anybody.:D

Mike

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
Biting your opponent's ears off is against the rules in K1 right? right?? RIGHT???????? :eek:

;) :D

Hey, he only bit off part of Holyfield's ear.

:D

Cthulhu

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I remember seeing on a Biograpy special a few years back that Tyson was always interested in Martial Arts and idolized Bruce Lee when he was a kid? Not sure if there is any truth to this or not.

J

J-kid

Possible fights for tyson so far are
Tyson vs Sapp
and
Tyson VS hoost

these are both in the works.

K

KanoLives

I thought that he was going to fight someone from K-1 but it was going to be boxing rules. Guess I was misinformed. However if it was boxing rules I think Tyson would win.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just read the story, thats awesome, I can't wait to see his first fight, my buddies and I are going to watch it together. If he fights Sapp, I got money on Sapp. It will be awesome just to see Tyson get his rear handed to him.

7sm

T

tmanifold

Originally posted by 7starmantis
It will be awesome just to see Tyson get his rear handed to him.

7sm

Watch his fights versus Holyfeild (both of them), Vs. Lewis and Vs. Douglas.

Tony

P

pknox

Before we get TOO excited, let's wait until an actual contract is signed. My understanding is that a Sports Illustrated article said that some preliminary offerings and talks were done between Tyson's camp and the K-1 people.

I mean, Mike Tyson would never just say something to generate publicity for himself, right? :rolleyes:

If it comes off, with K-1 rules, I see Tyson killing Hoost. They are of comparable weight, and Hoost's style is too boxing-oriented. I think you'd be crazy to try to box Tyson. If he can get within punching range, that could get ugly.

Sapp, however, might be different. First off, he has to outweigh Tyson by close to a 100 pounds, if not more. Especially if the rules allow some type of grappling, which I'm not sure if K-1 does, Sapp could really hurt him if he picks him up and throws him. Personally, I would love to see Tyson trying to fight off a mount from Sapp. That Pay-Per-View I would buy.

As much as I hate to say it though, given Tyson's track record, I'll bet this turns out to be a publicity stunt. And even so, do you think Tyson's people are going to let him get involved in something that involves grappling, or basically anything other than boxing? He is crazy, but they wouldn't let their meal ticket get hurt.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
[
If it comes off, with K-1 rules, I see Tyson killing Hoost. They are of comparable weight, and Hoost's style is too boxing-oriented. I think you'd be crazy to try to box Tyson. If he can get within punching range, that could get ugly.

Sapp, however, might be different. First off, he has to outweigh Tyson by close to a 100 pounds, if not more. Especially if the rules allow some type of grappling, which I'm not sure if K-1 does, Sapp could really hurt him if he picks him up and throws him. Personally, I would love to see Tyson trying to fight off a mount from Sapp. That Pay-Per-View I would buy.

If they fight under the K1 rules, which allow, as far as I know, leg kicks, I really dont see Tyson defending too well against them.

Mike

P

pknox

Originally posted by MJS
If they fight under the K1 rules, which allow, as far as I know, leg kicks, I really dont see Tyson defending too well against them.

Mike [/B]

That would be a real good strategy for Hoost. Keep Tyson in kicking range, and just keep popping him on the outside and inside of the thighs. Hopefully whoever trains Tyson would make him aware of this fact. My concern for Hoost would be that he probably couldn't come in close and finish Tyson off with his hands, and if Tyson ever came in for a clinch, I think he'd only need one or two shots. Hoost's best shot inside would be to rely on elbows and knees, something Tyson probably hasn't seen. If his handlers are able to condition Tyson to withstand thigh shots as well as elbows/knees, I don't see Hoost having the power to finish him off. If I were Tyson, I'd bullrush this guy, hit him as hard as hell, and end the match quickly. I think Tyson could take a shot or two, which is what that last strategy would entail -- I just don't think he could take multiple rounds of Thai style punishment.

I'm sure even Tyson knows that both of these guys would pound the hell out of him with their own style-specific weapons given a chance. Whether he wins or not wouldn't be the issue -- he could get seriously hurt, therefore causing him to miss some boxing paydays. That's why I think the match will most likely never come off in the first place.

P

pknox

Originally posted by arnisador
Is it a sure thing that he'll be fighting, or no?

As far as I know, no. I believe both camps are still negotiating. Even if they did have a contract though, I wouldn't believe this guy until he was in the ring -- he's pulled too much funny business in the past for me to trust anything that comes out of his (or his peoples') mouth.

If he does fight though, I will watch it, just for the novelty. Whoever he fights, their best strategy would be to make sure he keeps up his meds.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox

I'm sure even Tyson knows that both of these guys would pound the hell out of him with their own style-specific weapons given a chance. Whether he wins or not wouldn't be the issue -- he could get seriously hurt, therefore causing him to miss some boxing paydays. That's why I think the match will most likely never come off in the first place. [/B]

I remember that Ralph Gracie challenged Roy Jones Jr. to a fight and promised him alot of $$ if he agreed to the match. While RJ Jr. is an awesome boxer in his class, I wouldn't think that he would stand much of a chance if they ever met up.

Mike

P

pknox

Originally posted by MJS
I remember that Ralph Gracie challenged Roy Jones Jr. to a fight and promised him alot of $$ if he agreed to the match. While RJ Jr. is an awesome boxer in his class, I wouldn't think that he would stand much of a chance if they ever met up.

Mike

True. And I'll bet if you got Ralph alone, and he knew you wouldn't tell anybody, he would tell you that he had no intention of fighting Jones, and knew from the get-go that Jones would ignore him. He did it for the publicity. Roy Jones Jr. would have nothing to gain by fighting a Gracie, whether it was boxing or jujutsu. If it's boxing and Jones wins, big deal - he was expected to. If it's jujutsu and he wins, bad for Ralph, but I don't really see it furthering Jones' career. If it's jujutsu and Jones loses, he was expected to. If it's boxing and he loses, or if in any of the above cases, he gets hurt, he's got problems. Jones was in a no-win situation.

That's kind of what makes me leery of the whole Tyson/K-1 thing -- what could Tyson possibly have to gain by doing this? I believe he's doing it for the publicity, and nothing else. He has nothing to gain by fighting either of these guys.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very true! I'm sure its nothing more than publicity. Due to the fact that Tyson was in jail for a while, and missed out on alot of fights, now that hes out, it seems like hes fighting a bunch of nobodies.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Mike

Latest Discussions