larry tatum

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Parker had no successor, and if he did, per tradition it would have been his son. Larry Tatum is one of the few original 7th's under Ed Parker and an extremely talented kenpoist.

Although he has detractors like we all do, he ran the only school that Mr. Parker owned that made a profit before he passed. He also is not credited for producing and promoting some of the best known Kenpo Black Belts around, including people like Jeff Speakman, Dian Tanaka, Barbara Hale, Mohammad Tabatabai, Brian Hawkins, and a plethora of others.

Although he and Mr. Parker parted company from the IKKA through mutual agreement on less than favorable terms, nevertheless Larry Tatum's talent an accomplishments are significant before and after his tenure with Mr. Parker as an outstanding Kenpoists. There would no reason in my opinion why you shouldn't avail yourself of the opportunity to seek instruction from this man.

And that pretty much sums it up. Many greats came up under Larry. Many lateraled over to the old man, or because his name is on their cert, suggest they came up under him...instead of Larry. Internationally, I suspect he has the largest and most tenable support system for kenpo schools looking for improve teaching and affliliation.

D.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
FWIW, Larry Tatum was named as the "key protege" in this interview with Ed Parker:

http://www.americankenpo.co.nz/test/history/ep_article1.htm

"My key protege is this kid Larry Tatum," Parker said with a laugh, con- tinuing that "anyone younger than me I call a kid. He's my. number one guy right now. He moves like me. He looks like me. He's got the power-everything. "
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]The kenpoist noted that he is helping 15-year student Tatum complete a book, Confidence, A Child's First Weapon. He also named two others he considers proteges, insiders with whom he has shared the full scope of his knowledge Tom Kelly, who Parker said is the higl est-degree black belt at a seventh-dG level, operates a Parker school in Salt Lake City; Joe Palanzo, another former student who Parker said holds a fifth degree black belt, teaches at a school in Baltimore."[/FONT]

Note that this was early on, and things changed in the kenpo world!​

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW, Larry Tatum was named as the "key protege" in this interview with Ed Parker:

http://www.americankenpo.co.nz/test/history/ep_article1.htm

"My key protege is this kid Larry Tatum," Parker said with a laugh, con- tinuing that "anyone younger than me I call a kid. He's my. number one guy right now. He moves like me. He looks like me. He's got the power-everything. "
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]The kenpoist noted that he is helping 15-year student Tatum complete a book, Confidence, A Child's First Weapon. He also named two others he considers proteges, insiders with whom he has shared the full scope of his knowledge Tom Kelly, who Parker said is the higl est-degree black belt at a seventh-dG level, operates a Parker school in Salt Lake City; Joe Palanzo, another former student who Parker said holds a fifth degree black belt, teaches at a school in Baltimore."[/FONT]

Note that this was early on, and things changed in the kenpo world!​

The article quote is from the late seventies as I recall from Black Belt Magazine. Parker was making a big push to expand the business, and the three names were high profile at the time, and all from three distinctive geographical areas of the country.

Parker stated on several occasions later that he shouldn't have done that. Although for business reasons in a magazine reaching out to other regions, it was good, he offended many loyal students and he realized it. He later would "clean it up" by publicly saying, "They are key (regional) protegés, but not the only protegés I have.

As you stated, things changed and all "moved on" to do their own thing, and Parker never publicly named or suggested a protegé or successor again.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The whole forum? Or should I have just done a search for 'Clyde'? Since it was a reference that popped up in this particular thread, didn't really see a problem with asking for clarification. But if I've insulted your sensibilities with my ignorance, my apologies.

Or maybe we non-EPAK people should just stay off this section...?

Clyde used to post here on MT a few years back. I believe his moniker was something like "kenpo dark lord", I can't remember exactly. He hasn't posted in quite a while, and I am not privy to the details of the conditions of his departure from Martial Talk.

I do recall a period when there were some "heated" discussions that went on, and a while after that I realized that I hadn't notice him posting anymore.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clyde used to post here on MT a few years back. I believe his moniker was something like "kenpo dark lord", I can't remember exactly. He hasn't posted in quite a while, and I am not privy to the details of the conditions of his departure from Martial Talk.

I do recall a period when there were some "heated" discussions that went on, and a while after that I realized that I hadn't notice him posting anymore.
OK, thanks Michael. That's what I was looking for. :asian:

Mark

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, thanks Michael. That's what I was looking for. :asian:

Mark

that's what I figured. Just trying to help.
icon12.gif

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Intentionally, or did he not think the need was there to do it yet (the immortality fallacy we all seem fall prey to)?

The part I keep coming back to is his mention of a "Philosophers mantle", like a PhD hood at university graduation. He said in an interview he would grant this to whomever he considered broad enough and understanding enough of the system and it's intricacies, and that this cat would be his successor. He never granted it to anyone. For all the people he called "protoge" at one time or another, no hoodies were granted.

My own opinion? He was haunted by a sense of impending doom, always sure the end was just around the corner. Trouble is, if you go through life like this, you will eventually be right. Anyways, despite this sense, I think he suspected on another level that he always had more time. He had many projects in the works...irons in the fire, so to speak. IMO, you wrap things up and make allowances if you really expect to go. But that's only my opinion, based on nothing but my own reasoning.

D.

OP
S

silvestre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND POINTS OF VIEW

best regards

paulo silvestre

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If someone is THE successor is really a moot point. The better questions are "Is this someone who is knowledgable? Can I leanr from them? Will they make my Kenpo (or shotokan or whatever) better? How hard am I willing to work" If so learn from them. If not, don't. Titles and lineage will only take you so far. The rest depends on what you are willing to put into your art.

Brian Jones

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone is THE successor is really a moot point. The better questions are "Is this someone who is knowledgable? Can I leanr from them? Will they make my Kenpo (or shotokan or whatever) better? How hard am I willing to work" If so learn from them. If not, don't. Titles and lineage will only take you so far. The rest depends on what you are willing to put into your art.

Brian Jones

Preach!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brian Jones

What a fantastic post!! There is so much truth in this it isn't even funny. There are many people who trained with Parker, I'm sure, so how would one determine who would be a successor? Someone who was closer to the source than others?

Frankly, if the person can teach me, and make my Kenpo better, that is what should really matter, in addition to what you said above. Titles and stripes take a back seat IMO. :)

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Brian Jones

This post should be carved in stone over the doors of every dojo, dojang, kwoon, and any other kind of MA school in existence. If people really understood and followed the basic idea here, the pointless anger and futile one-upsmanship that poison so many MA discussions would drop to near zero.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The whole forum? Or should I have just done a search for 'Clyde'? Since it was a reference that popped up in this particular thread, didn't really see a problem with asking for clarification. But if I've insulted your sensibilities with my ignorance, my apologies.

Or maybe we non-EPAK people should just stay off this section...?
Are we a little sensitive? I said that in jest but if you feel victimized then so be it.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, with all due respect, this thread is about Larry Tatum, not Clyde. If someone is looking for info on Clyde or his posts here, take it to PM please. :)

Thanks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Brian Jones

Excellent post

KrayONE

White Belt
Reaction score
I personally enjoy watching Mr. Tatum, and he is extremely knowledgeable. I do hear a lot how he does not hit his targets but that may only be when hes demonstrating and teaching to his students, during seminars, or on his videos. I have never really noticed anything, and even if he misses a target here or there so what??? the man can use his body and those strikes would go through you.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally enjoy watching Mr. Tatum, and he is extremely knowledgeable. I do hear a lot how he does not hit his targets but that may only be when hes demonstrating and teaching to his students, during seminars, or on his videos. I have never really noticed anything, and even if he misses a target here or there so what??? the man can use his body and those strikes would go through you.

What?

Latest Discussions