Anybody familiar with.....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Came across a Vietnamese male today, he had tattoos of Vietnamese words written in english on both forearms and back, and was missing his left little finger. Anybody know if these are gang indicators?? I know the Japanese Yakuza amputate fingers, but am not familiar with Vietnamese groups. Just for my education.

G

Gary Crawford

Never heard of anything like that.Did you get to talk to him?

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Said the tats were "about his family"...wouldnt talk about the finger. Involved untaxed cigarettes in large ammounts. Havent found much in internet searches.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had very limited experience with vietnamese gang members (just not part of our demographic here); one viet who was a, um, problem arrest, some years back did have extensive yakuza-style tats. If you have any internet contacts on the job in SoCal or south Louisiana that would be the place to ask.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, some more internet searches show that cigarette smuggling and Vietnamese gangs are known to be in my general area (US/CAN border). Predominantly a customs thing, but may be worth a closer look.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of Viet gangs here in Aus, and they definately use tattoos as signifiers. No personal knowledge of digital amputation, though.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Said the tats were "about his family"...wouldnt talk about the finger. Involved untaxed cigarettes in large ammounts. Havent found much in internet searches.
The finger thing could be simple consequence of an 'active' lifestyle. Or, more realistically:

1. The demonstrative gesture of sacrifice by amputation is more Eastern fanaticism than specifically Japanese. The Yakuza just got the popular association.

2. The up and coming Oriental youth gangs are 'wannabe' hardcore and adopting rituals that they think would be acts of that from an oriental role model.

We have a common friend from our past who might know more about this if you want to dig further. Her name starts with a T.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the other hand, his finger may have no relationship with his tattoos...

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OR "on the OTHER hand" his tattoos might be talking about his missing finger

(sorry couldn't resist :boing2: )

W

WildCater

he, mabe a wanna be gangster, probabaly a thug. in my opinion, a wanna be!.