Kung Fu-High Fees Normal?

R

RHD

Gary Crawford said:
I'm no expert in the subject of Kung Fu,but 36 monthes seems like a short time to get to black belt.

Be careful...students and friends of this place may begin to post online here and talk philosophy at you! Martial Talk has proven to me that even though it looks like, smells like, and comes straight from the horses patoot, it probably is crap...But don't try to point that out because people's feelings might get hurt and you'll be accused of having bad manners.

Seriously, I agree with 7*. The pictures tell a lot.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
My daughter (midnightninja), college age, just joined a Kung Fu school. She's a 1st dan in TKD and nearly got to 2nd. But at this new KF school, she just got notified that she should go into "leadership training" or offered it already. That entails 500. upfront, plus 200. a month for 36 months and he thinks she will get a black belt in 24 months. That last part especially worried me. She's in the Phoenix area.

Anybody think this is exorbitant fees? I do. Anybody think this was offered a little too soon? I do. Anybody worried about the instructor come-on. I do, especially with my present knowledge of instructors. :( TW
Run away! Run like the wind. There are at least two Kenpo schools in the pheonix are that will cut her a better deal than that (right Golden Dragon?) They are a lot like Kung fu if you sqwint your eyes a little %-}
Sean

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Run away! Run like the wind. There are at least two Kenpo schools in the pheonix are that will cut her a better deal than that (right Golden Dragon?) They are a lot like Kung fu if you sqwint your eyes a little %-}
Sean

In researching a local Hung Gar school, I read that some folks in the Hung Gar community view Parker kenpo as nothing more than an offshoot of some Hung Gar forms...

Could anyone comment?

midnightninja -

If you are interested in CMA, I think we have a Yili student in the Phoenix area. I haven't talked with him in quite a while (and I'm not sure how much he practices), but I'd be happy to point you toward him if you'd like... Your choice.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
In researching a local Hung Gar school, I read that some folks in the Hung Gar community view Parker kenpo as nothing more than an offshoot of some Hung Gar forms...

Could anyone comment?

midnightninja -

If you are interested in CMA, I think we have a Yili student in the Phoenix area. I haven't talked with him in quite a while (and I'm not sure how much he practices), but I'd be happy to point you toward him if you'd like... Your choice.
I heard that Mr. Parker "Borrowed" Form Four from these systems.
Sean

R

RHD

Touch'O'Death said:
I heard that Mr. Parker "Borrowed" Form Four from these systems.
Sean

Well I can tell you this...
I don't know much about Parker Kenpo, but I do know that some kenpo schools have a Tiger and Crane form. From what I've seen, and I've seen it many times, it's a bastardization on Hung Ga's Fu Hok Shueng Ying Kuen. I actually had the opportunity to observe a kenpoist performing thier set, then demonstrate the original form from Hung Ga. It lead to some very interesting debate!

Mike

M

midnightninja

Thank you all so much for all your advice---you're right. I don't know what I would've done without you. So now, what schools would you recommend for me to attend in the phoenix area? I am particularly interested in Kenpo/Kempo, jujitsu, and the kung fu arts, but I just have no idea where to start looking.

Again, I am so grateful for the time you invested to help me out. I really appreciate it a lot!!! :)

God bless,
.:midnightninja:.

M

Mark Weiser

http://www.kenponet.com/

Click here and go to the link on the right side and see the Studio Net Link click on this and then click on the Ariznona Link to find Kenpo Schools in Phoneix.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
That seems way too high and even though she may be a black belt in Taekwondo, she still has to start from the bottom again. I know that in my system of Kung Fu it takes an average of 5 years to reach black sash.
I pay per session from £3.50 - £4.75 and we don't have a monthly or yearly arrangement. Then again I don't clubs in England charge as much than in the US.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
midnightninja said:
Thank you all so much for all your advice---you're right. I don't know what I would've done without you. So now, what schools would you recommend for me to attend in the phoenix area? I am particularly interested in Kenpo/Kempo, jujitsu, and the kung fu arts, but I just have no idea where to start looking.

Again, I am so grateful for the time you invested to help me out. I really appreciate it a lot!!! :)

God bless,
.:midnightninja:.
Where are located in Phoenix? Tempe, Mesa, AJ, Awatukee, etc... How far do you mind driving if necessary?

M

midnightninja

I'm in the glendale/peoria area and I'm willing to drive 30 minutes to a dojo

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
midnightninja said:
Can you get to Tempe easily?? There's a couple of places I'd recommend. One is Joy Chahaudry (sp??). He teaches wing chun somewhere around ASU I believe from the Augustine Fong lineage. You can hunt him up on the http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com Kungfu Online Wing Chun Forum.

Another is Meng's (www.mengsofaz.com) on Alma School in Chandler. That's not bad stuff either.

A

Akula

7starmantis said:
I know a guy who trains in that area in wushu and some mantis, his school seems very legit, the sifu was a memeber of the Beijing National Wushu Team I believe, if your interested I can contact him about some info.

I'm not one to post in this particular fora as I don't currently practice CMA, but in this case, I do have a little bit of information. When I was looking around as to what to study, I came across a place in the North Scottsdale area called the Scottsdale Martial Art Center. The person they have listed as the instructor for Wushu/Kung FU is Jinheng Li, and he sounded a lot like the person 7* mentioned above.

Just passing on the information in this case, but I would also be curious as to what your opinions are...always looking for more information and insight.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
midnightninja said:
As a Kenpo 2000 person, I recomend the Kenpo 2000 school, but a close second would be Mr. Conatser, and you can contact him on this board, he goes by Golden Dragon 7. I'm sure he will answer your questions (or give you directions to k2000 ha ha)
Sean

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to see someone turned away from kung fu or CMA just because of one school. I hope this unfortunate event hasn't turned you off from being interested in the CMA, there are many very good schools teaching some very good stuff out there. There is alot to learn in CMA and I hope you will still look into kung fu at some point.

7sm

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you'all,
Some advice is taken better from others-specially when it was overwhelming against. Mom is learning! TW

Latest Discussions