Kukkiwon Masters course in the U.S.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also the U.S. Hummandang is for only there players like all the other orgs., if you sign up and pay the dues you can play the game with them. What is really going on around here and why is this not available to everyone just those chosen few?

Who told you that the Hanmadang was strictly for USTC people? This tournament is opened to everyone regardless of their organizational affiliation.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who told you that the Hanmadang was strictly for USTC people? This tournament is opened to everyone regardless of their organizational affiliation.

Whan I called to get info and to register a couple of people they said I would have to be a member just like the AAU or USAT. So it maybe open but again you must be a member which is another 24.00 to pay for a tournament.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whan I called to get info and to register a couple of people they said I would have to be a member just like the AAU or USAT. So it maybe open but again you must be a member which is another 24.00 to pay for a tournament.

Do you know the name of the person you talked to? I need to get this corrected. This tournament is opened to everyone regardless if they are USTC member or not. I am going to contact the higher ups on this.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you know the name of the person you talked to? I need to get this corrected. This tournament is opened to everyone regardless if they are USTC member or not. I am going to contact the higher ups on this.

Yes I have her name at the TKD school and can send it to you by PM later today. Also I would like to know why you cannot join your school unless you have 35 registered students this seems a little unfair for the smaller clubs.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The website taekwondoseminar.com is down, now. I sure hope this thing is gonna happen.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes I have her name at the TKD school and can send it to you by PM later today. Also I would like to know why you cannot join your school unless you have 35 registered students this seems a little unfair for the smaller clubs.

Yes, please PM me with that information. I would also like to know why you need a minimum amount of students to join your school as well. That is ridiculous in my opinoin. ~sigh~ Was is it the same woman who told you that as well?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, please PM me with that information. I would also like to know why you need a minimum amount of students to join your school as well. That is ridiculous in my opinoin. ~sigh~ Was is it the same woman who told you that as well?

Actually a older gentleman refered me to the website and under membership it gives you the info. that to be a register club you need 35 regiter students.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Look at the bolded spot and that says it all.

sic Club Membership: $75.00 Yearly Dues

The clubs eligible for Club membership shall:

*Be bonafide clubs, educational institutions or other organizations of a permanent nature which are primarily promoting Taekwondo as a martial art and/or sport;
*Have a minimum of thirty-five (35) registered members or have a minimum of twenty-five (25) registered military members for a military Taekwondo club;
*Have an instructor who is a Kukkiwon certified
black belt; and

*Have established a training facility which is used for the practice of Taekwondo.
*To be eligible to register as a USTC Club member, each club must submit an application for Club membership in a form prescribed by the Corporation, a copy of the instructor's Kukkiwon certification.
The Annual application and Registration fee for a USTC Club member may be determined by the Board of Governor; annually.
Basic Club Membership Benefits Include:

*Receive an appropriate recognition certificate.
*Monthly Newsletter
*Access to Members only section of the USTC Website
*Listing on USTC Website directory, with link and photo of school/club.
*The continued eligibility of each USTC Club member is conditioned upon continued registration as a Club member and continued compliance with the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws of the United States Taekwondo Committee.

Click here to register your club online or to complete your club application
Click here to download a mail in club registration form

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just received the email back from the Exec Director. You DO NOT have to be a member of the USTC to participate in the US Open/US National Hanmadang. This is open to everyone regardless of affiliation. I am sorry that you were given wrong information Terry. Please send me the person's name so we can educate them on requirements.

As far as the Exec Director knows, there shouldn't be a minimum requirement of students needed to sign up for a school membership. He is checking on that as well as seeing about the rumor that only USTC members are allowed at the KKW seminar. Thank you for bringing all of this to my attention.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Another update, the KKW seminar will be opened to everyone not just USTC members.

I have already put in an issue with the minimum student requirement for a school membership. I agree that this does tend to discriminate against small clubs and schools.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It sounds a lot like what USAT was doing - they were trying to make themselves the Kukkiwon's unofficial "official" representatives in the U.S..

If this is legitimately becoming close to mandatory then I'm a little worried. It would be a great way to filter out all the bs, but they may try to restrict everyone to one exact curriculum. Anyone through Kukkiwon should obviously be doing the Kukkiwon forms, but I always liked that every school has it's own take on one-step sparring and other parts of the curriculum (not that everyone does a good job at it...).

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I thought it was more than fair to join. For them to get this together and host it is huge. Certainly worth my $24 a year.

Dave O.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had no problem signing up for the Instructor course, but it kept giving me an error when I tried signing up for the USTC membership using paypal. Anybody else have trouble with it?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It sounds a lot like what USAT was doing - they were trying to make themselves the Kukkiwon's unofficial "official" representatives in the U.S..

If this is legitimately becoming close to mandatory then I'm a little worried. It would be a great way to filter out all the bs, but they may try to restrict everyone to one exact curriculum. Anyone through Kukkiwon should obviously be doing the Kukkiwon forms, but I always liked that every school has it's own take on one-step sparring and other parts of the curriculum (not that everyone does a good job at it...).

It has been said before and bears saying again. The KKW has a set curriculum that you have to perform in order to receive a KKW rank. Outside of that your school is able to do whatever it would like in teaching. I believe KKW's main curriculum consists of kyoguri, basic breaking techniques and taeguk forms. Those are the minimum standards that you have to meet. They don't set requirments on one-steps and other aspects of what may be taught at the school.

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
On a happy note the site is back up. Site up, panic down. I look forward to completing this with a few of the folks here.

Dave O.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok..so rumor updates:

1) You DO NOT have to be a member of USTC to participate in the Hanmadang

2) You DO NOT have to be a member of the USTC to participate in the KKW Instructor course Seminar

3) They are working on revamping the criteria for School membership so you do not have to have minimum 35 students to join as a school. I do not know what the new minimum (if any) will be.

So with that said, I will see you at the Hanmadang right Terry? :)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok..so rumor updates:

1) You DO NOT have to be a member of USTC to participate in the Hanmadang

2) You DO NOT have to be a member of the USTC to participate in the KKW Instructor course Seminar

3) They are working on revamping the criteria for School membership so you do not have to have minimum 35 students to join as a school. I do not know what the new minimum (if any) will be.

So with that said, I will see you at the Hanmadang right Terry? :)

Sorry but no not this year, we will be in Florida, but I will be at the instructor course and I am really am looking at joining the USTC as a club. How many tournaments do they have a year?

I see Sun Lee school is the only school in Texas so I will be talking to him about the org. since I know him. Looks like they maybe trying to do things the right way, what about the Olympic movement are they any where close to having some players going and what is the recourse on this?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry but no not this year, we will be in Florida, but I will be at the instructor course and I am really am looking at joining the USTC as a club. How many tournaments do they have a year?

I see Sun Lee school is the only school in Texas so I will be talking to him about the org. since I know him. Looks like they maybe trying to do things the right way, what about the Olympic movement are they any where close to having some players going and what is the recourse on this?

At this time they don't have any set tournament schedule, though I know they are working on trying to get something together.

When you talk about Olympic movement are you referring to sparring? They are not really concerned about that as they are more on the forms/breaking side of things. It is my understanding that they will continue to leave olympic stuff up to the USAT for now.

Latest Discussions