Korean terminology question

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was going to post this in General KMA or Taekwondo, but the Hapkido section needs some love, and the question arises from the HKD vocabulary at the school where I have trained for several years, so I'll post it here.

At every belt level, we have a terminology section on the test. In working with students, I go over the vocab prior to our testing, and after several years of doing this, I have seen four different words that seem to have similar meanings. The three words are:

Begi
Chigi
Chireugi
and
Taerigi

Near as I can tell they all essentially mean strike. Begi seems to be used only in regards to sword work, so I take it to mean strike/cut. But I have also seen Chigi used by some in regards to sword work.

I would be most appreciative to have clarification from those who are more versed in the language than I.

Daniel

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From A Martial Artist's Guide to Korean Terms, Translation, and Han-Gul by Master Richard Mitchell:

ch'i-gi = strike or hit (WTF) (derived from the verb ch'i-da, meaning to strike, hit, give a blow, thrash, beat, knock, slug, slap, flog, whip, smack, smite, wallop, whack, or pound)

ttae-ri-gi = strike or striking technique

chi-ru-gi or tchi-ru-gi = punching (derived from the verb chi-ruda, meaning to kick, give a kick, to beat, hit, knock, or strike, or to give a blow)

ch'a-gi or t'ae (Sino-Korean) = kick

I couldn't find begi (or pegi - p and b are often interchangeable when transliterating from Korean) - but I hope this helps.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From A Martial Artist's Guide to Korean Terms, Translation, and Han-Gul by Master Richard Mitchell:

ch'i-gi = strike or hit (WTF) (derived from the verb ch'i-da, meaning to strike, hit, give a blow, thrash, beat, knock, slug, slap, flog, whip, smack, smite, wallop, whack, or pound)

ttae-ri-gi = strike or striking technique

chi-ru-gi or tchi-ru-gi = punching (derived from the verb chi-ruda, meaning to kick, give a kick, to beat, hit, knock, or strike, or to give a blow)

ch'a-gi or t'ae (Sino-Korean) = kick

I couldn't find begi (or pegi - p and b are often interchangeable when transliterating from Korean) - but I hope this helps.
Much appreciated! So a strike from a staff, for example, would be a ttaerigi?

Daniel

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Much appreciated! So a strike from a staff, for example, would be a ttaerigi?

Daniel

He doesn't specify that I can find. The only listing for staff (or pole) is mong-dung-i, with some staff blocks; I can't find a listing for staff strikes. Here's the site for his school, if you have more specific questions, and a listing for the text on Amazon.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He doesn't specify that I can find. The only listing for staff (or pole) is mong-dung-i, with some staff blocks; I can't find a listing for staff strikes. Here's the site for his school, if you have more specific questions, and a listing for the text on Amazon.
Thanks!

I wasn't thinking specifically of staff strikes, but strikes from weapons in general that are not cuts. Could be a staff, a short stick, a cane, the pommel of a sword, or a frying pan. In other words, is ttaerigi a word used for strikes in general, armed or unarmed?

Daniel

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks!

I wasn't thinking specifically of staff strikes, but strikes from weapons in general that are not cuts. Could be a staff, a short stick, a cane, the pommel of a sword, or a frying pan. In other words, is ttaerigi a word used for strikes in general, armed or unarmed?

Daniel

It didn't specify type of strikes - and the variations given all include ttaerigi within them, so I would say that that's a valid assumption, but I can't say for certain either way.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
At every belt level, we have a terminology section on the test. In working with students, I go over the vocab prior to our testing, and after several years of doing this, I have seen four different words that seem to have similar meanings.

My Hapkido teachers, including GM JI Han Jae, used predominantly english terminology when teaching. The only korean terms being used that I can remember at this point were "dan" "dan bong" and "hwal bup". When closing the class, we would say "Kamsahamnida". When testing, there was no terminology section, no oral or written tests, just physical tests.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Hapkido teachers, including GM JI Han Jae, used predominantly english terminology when teaching. The only korean terms being used that I can remember at this point were "dan" "dan bong" and "hwal bup". When closing the class, we would say "Kamsahamnida". When testing, there was no terminology section, no oral or written tests, just physical tests.
Our KJN has set up his curriculum with ten Korean words per geub and quizes students at testings. Given that the majority of his lessons are in English, with our classes ending with "Kamsahamnida" as your do, I question whether or not it is useful for anything other than trivia for the bulk of the students. I probably use more Korean in class than he does, though I'm making efforts to learn the language, so I look for every excuse that I can to use what Korean I know.

Daniel

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Hapkido teachers, including GM JI Han Jae, used predominantly english terminology when teaching. The only korean terms being used that I can remember at this point were "dan" "dan bong" and "hwal bup".
Unless I miss my guess, isn't hwal bup a type of massage therapy?

Daniel

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hwal 활 refers to a bow, as in bow and arrow, and can be understood to mean stretching.
I usually see the bow termed as 'gung' 궁, though there certainly can be more than one word for the same noun (there are more than one for sword in both English and Korean).

Bup - 법 - connotes a set of rules, procedures or guidelines.
That I am familar with.

So, any insight into my original post?

Daniel

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually see the bow termed as 'gung' 궁, though there certainly can be more than one word for the same noun (there are more than one for sword in both English and Korean).

That I am familar with.

So, any insight into my original post?

Daniel

Korean can have more than one word for the same thing. Chinese characters translated into Korean and pure Korean.

In this case, hwal is Korean and gong is Chinese.

11-01-43-01-03.gif

btn_ani_play.gif

훈음음 :활 궁사성음 :gōng부음수 :弓 (활궁)총획수 :3 (부수획수:3획)난이도 :중학용, 한자능력검정 준3급(쓰기 : 1급)뜻풀이 :㉠활
㉡활 모양
㉢궁술(弓術: 활을 쏘는 법이나 기술)
㉣활의 길이
㉤여덟 자, 길이의 단위(單位)
㉥구 부정하게 하다
유의자 :弴, 弤, 㢯, 㢺, 㢿상대자 :矢자음원 :상형문자

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
때리다 - ttaerida is verb for "to strike".

기 -is a suffix that is used for nominalization.

When put together it literally means striking.
Is this used in general or is it applied to weapons as well, such as battons, staves, and canes?

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hwal 활 refers to a bow, as in bow and arrow, and can be understood to mean stretching. Bup - 법 - connotes a set of rules, procedures or guidelines.

I think it is a different character for hwal. I can look it up when I go home tonight.

hkdsean

White Belt
Reaction score
The characters Dojunim Ji uses for the revival techniques he teaches are:
活法 (Hwal Pep:Korean)(huo2 fa3:Chinese)

Latest Discussions