KOMS meeting in la, ca.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And does anyone know about any EAST coast meeting?

Or is this a MAC thing that they are pushing?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So pretty much if you don't pay there fee's and keep the money with almost nothing but Koreans you are just out of luck. I can see it now the days when people are paying $10,000 for a certificate like the old days. This is jsut a way of them holding the people hostage like gangster's. So many are going to regroup under something else and the KKW will lose alot of members. I for one only see a money making Ideal for a few. This is a way for the KKW to get themself out of money trouble and fleece the flock or maybe I am not reading this thing right. It would be great to see unity if it included all people but it does not look that way only one true American there and 98% Koreans well welcome to the fun house.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
. The korean masters do not want americans school owners to join. I was the token white master. There was one black, 3 mexican and one armerian master there. We had our own translator as the meeting was in korean. There were 90 korean masters/gms present. The announcement on the ctu events page was the only thing in hangul. This was supposed to be about unifying tkd! Shame on them. The kkw officials even wondered where the american masters were.
4. Get ready for more seminars:)
5. All of the korean masters from my town did not like it when they saw me having coffe with the kkw president. My late gms friends spotted me and invited me to join them. Little did i Know who else was there. Good thing I bowed low:)

Puunui warned us about this side of the USAT-MAC in another post a few week ago and I almost didn't take it seriously. The big irony here is that many of the USAT-MAC folks were at one time accusing the old USTU guard of being too "pro Korean" and exclusionary.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you know why there where only 6 American Masters there? Was the word not spread about this meeting?
The meeting was promoted through the CTU, a primarily Korean TKD association based out of Los Angeles.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
HEY MSMITHT,
Did they mention anything bout a List of all KOMS schools being published or being made available?

Another words, I'm signed up, does my school name appear on a list somewhere that is open to the public or other KOMS schools so everyone can see who is and isnt a member?

If so, this could be useful and bad depending on how you view it.
Yes, they are goung to create a registry and publish it every year, country by country, state by state.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
3. The korean masters do not want americans school owners to join. I was the token white master. There was one black, 3 mexican and one armerian master there. We had our own translator as the meeting was in korean. There were 90 korean masters/gms present. The announcement on the ctu events page was the only thing in hangul. This was supposed to be about unifying tkd! Shame on them. The kkw officials even wondered where the american masters were.

Well, I would hope that the visiting KKW officials' "wondering" would translate to telling the Korean-American Masters that they need to do a better job of publicizing things and that the goal is to get everyone affiliated with the KKW on board. But from what you say, it's quite obvious that the problem (for this, at least) resides not with the KKW.

5. All of the korean masters from my town did not like it when they saw me having coffe with the kkw president. My late gms friends spotted me and invited me to join them. Little did i Know who else was there. Good thing I bowed low:)

Did you mention the announcement being in hangul on the CTU web site, by any chance? :)

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
3. The korean masters do not want americans school owners to join. I was the token white master. There was one black, 3 mexican and one armerian master there. We had our own translator as the meeting was in korean. There were 90 korean masters/gms present. The announcement on the ctu events page was the only thing in hangul. This was supposed to be about unifying tkd! Shame on them. The kkw officials even wondered where the american masters were.

This seems like the anti-thesis of what USTC and President Sang Lee was attempting to do, which was open up Kukkiwon certification to everyone, especially American born practitioners.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
2. Starting 2012 you will not be able to process kkw certs unless your school is a koms member and you have attended a master instructor course. That was made perfectly clear.

If President Kang is serious about this one, then it will be the death of his Kukkiwon presidency. Too many people are opposed to this, at the highest levels.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. It is their reputation that they are trying to fix.

There is nothing wrong with the Kukkiwon's reputation that needs fixing. What is wrong is when self serving people use the Kukkiwon for their own personal means. The Kukkiwon special test at US Open is one example that comes to mind.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as being told what to teach and how to teach it, it is the KKW that certifies WTF TKD schools. If you dont need or want their certs then do not conform to the new standards when they come out. I will enjoy having less competition:)

What is the difference between your attitude and the attitude that you felt was being expressed at the LA meeting? Both are exclusionary, whereas the Kukkiwon was conceived as an inclusionary organization. It is the symbol of inclusion for Taekwondo.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just know how stubborn so many school owners are and I can see some of them having a problem with it, particularly belt factories and mcdojos where they just hand out black belts. They are not going to like having to tell little johnny he cant get his black belt in 12 months from white belt.

You just described all of the dojang in Korea. The average time from white to 1st Poom/Dan in Korea is one year, two years to 2nd Poom/Dan.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
AND NO this is not a slam against USTU or a pat on the Back for USAT. I'm not referring to what the ORGs did, I referring to what some people within the ORGs during that era did.

Yes, it is a slam on USTU because by mentioning the organization's name, you imply that it was the USTU that was behind what you felt was a dirty scheme. In fact, the USTU made Kukkiwon certification more accessable to USTU members by processing them directly at the USTU headquarters, and also by holding USTU high dan promotion tests. And President Sang Lee further opened up the organization to non-Korean members, women especially, by appointing Americans to positions of leadership. If you want to speak about what SOME people did, then address those people individually rather painting with a broad brush by using the USTU name.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
So pretty much if you don't pay there fee's and keep the money with almost nothing but Koreans you are just out of luck. I can see it now the days when people are paying $10,000 for a certificate like the old days. This is jsut a way of them holding the people hostage like gangster's. So many are going to regroup under something else and the KKW will lose alot of members. I for one only see a money making Ideal for a few. This is a way for the KKW to get themself out of money trouble and fleece the flock or maybe I am not reading this thing right. It would be great to see unity if it included all people but it does not look that way only one true American there and 98% Koreans well welcome to the fun house.

You are getting all worked up for nothing. Again. This particular meeting was sponsored by a Korean American group of practitioners, so of course most in attendance were Korean American members of that organization. All of the information provided is up on the Kukkiwon webpage and has been up for quite some time. In addition, the Kukkiwon has been calling individual American born instructors for months now informing them of KOMS. There is no big conspiracy to hide information from you or anyone else, certainly not from the Kukkiwon. People can form their own private groups if they so choose. I am sure you have your own network of Taekwondo people that you associate with, and would feel funny if someone you didn't know and wasn't a member of your group showed up for a dinner and meeting that your group paid for. From my perspective, msmith got the reaction that he did because they probably looked at him like he was a party crasher. The Kukkiwon was probably under the mistaken impression that the CTU was the official state association or something, which explains their surprise.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are getting all worked up for nothing. Again. This particular meeting was sponsored by a Korean American group of practitioners, so of course most in attendance were Korean American members of that organization. All of the information provided is up on the Kukkiwon webpage and has been up for quite some time. In addition, the Kukkiwon has been calling individual American born instructors for months now informing them of KOMS. There is no big conspiracy to hide information from you or anyone else, certainly not from the Kukkiwon. People can form their own private groups if they so choose. I am sure you have your own network of Taekwondo people that you associate with, and would feel funny if someone you didn't know and wasn't a member of your group showed up for a dinner and meeting that your group paid for. From my perspective, msmith got the reaction that he did because they probably looked at him like he was a party crasher. The Kukkiwon was probably under the mistaken impression that the CTU was the official state association or something, which explains their surprise.
Now that you mention it, I did feel kinda like a party crasher. Only thing was that I was invited. The CTU did post it on their web page, in Hongul, for all to see. It is primarily a Korean organization so I guess I should not have been shocked to see that there were not many American masters there.
PUUNUI: I actually cant wait for the curriculum to come down from the KKW. I did not feel that the KKW was excluding anyone. I felt like the CTU, which does have many american masters in its org, was excluding people. And yes, the KKW was prepared to give the speech in english. So it is safe to assume that they thought the CTU was the state org in charge.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
You just described all of the dojang in Korea. The average time from white to 1st Poom/Dan in Korea is one year, two years to 2nd Poom/Dan.
gee, thats fast. Do they train more often than westerners or is it just quicker to get a black belt? We are 3.5-4 years minimum to get 1st degree black belt.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
gee, thats fast. Do they train more often than westerners or is it just quicker to get a black belt? We are 3.5-4 years minimum to get 1st degree black belt.

I believe they train one hour per day, five days per week. So that is about 250 hours of class time.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the Kukkiwon's reputation that needs fixing. What is wrong is when self serving people use the Kukkiwon for their own personal means. The Kukkiwon special test at US Open is one example that comes to mind.
You would have to admit that the reputation of tkd in general needs fixing, and if the majority of tkd practitioners are kukki affiliated (which I dont believe, but Im told is the case), then the kukki would have to take some resposibility for that. I commend the fact they are trying to, if thats the case.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
You would have to admit that the reputation of tkd in general needs fixing, and if the majority of tkd practitioners are kukki affiliated (which I dont believe, but Im told is the case), then the kukki would have to take some resposibility for that. I commend the fact they are trying to, if thats the case.

If you are going to intentionally disrespect both the Kukkiwon and me by intentionally referring to the Kukkiwon by an improper name, then I am done talking to you. As far as I am concerned, you no longer exist.

Latest Discussions