KOMS meeting in la, ca.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Spent 3 hours on Sunday night with the new kkw president. Had an interesting time with mixed feelings about some of the masters/gms there. Rather than give a full blown account of what went on I will sum up the important details.
1. The kkw will be making dvd's and manuals for curriculum in tkd schools. Good for the art but don't think many will like changing their existing curriculum. I like it. One standard for all.
2. Starting 2012 you will not be able to process kkw certs unless your school is a koms member and you have attended a master instructor course. That was made perfectly clear.
3. The korean masters do not want americans school owners to join. I was the token white master. There was one black, 3 mexican and one armerian master there. We had our own translator as the meeting was in korean. There were 90 korean masters/gms present. The announcement on the ctu events page was the only thing in hangul. This was supposed to be about unifying tkd! Shame on them. The kkw officials even wondered where the american masters were.
4. Get ready for more seminars:)
5. All of the korean masters from my town did not like it when they saw me having coffe with the kkw president. My late gms friends spotted me and invited me to join them. Little did i Know who else was there. Good thing I bowed low:)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So they are just gonna tell all these Master's that they no longer can play because they did not go to an course? I guess things are going to go downhill for alotof people.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see the number of independent clubs growing. A lot of higher ranked people and school owners I meet are very nice people but are also very set in their ways and dont like being told what to do. If I had taught a curriculum for years and years and produced good quality students and then I was told to change what I teach or how I teach it there would eventually come a point where I would snap. I suppose schools who teach and develop competitive fighters have little choice though, because being a part of larger orgs goes with the territory.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So they are just gonna tell all these Master's that they no longer can play because they did not go to an course? I guess things are going to go downhill for alotof people.
Yes. It is their reputation that they are trying to fix. They will be offering more courses and take a more active role in promoting TKD unity. Things will only go downhill for those who do not meet basic standards. Why would anyone complain that they do not want to go to a master instructors course? Are they above learning? Is it really that hard to become a student again? Or are their pocket's too full and bellies too fat? I have made it to 2 masters courses, 6 poomsae seminars and 5 coaching/referee seminars in the past 3 years. I only have one assistant and I can do it.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see the number of independent clubs growing. A lot of higher ranked people and school owners I meet are very nice people but are also very set in their ways and dont like being told what to do. If I had taught a curriculum for years and years and produced good quality students and then I was told to change what I teach or how I teach it there would eventually come a point where I would snap. I suppose schools who teach and develop competitive fighters have little choice though, because being a part of larger orgs goes with the territory.
Then let them go. I don't see it happening that way though. The standard techniques to be taught will most likely be less than what most require and probably more than what few teach. They are not looking to radically change all of the schools. They just want all first dan/poom to know the same basic techniques (other than poomsae/kyoroogi) like self defense, one steps, PROPER basic's and give a proven method of teaching it. What is not to like? If masters/GM's think that it is too simple than add more but do not take away. If what they give is too hard then you need to train harder.
As far as being told what to teach and how to teach it, it is the KKW that certifies WTF TKD schools. If you dont need or want their certs then do not conform to the new standards when they come out. I will enjoy having less competition:)
It is up to them to set the standard, not you or any other school owner/Master/GM/Supreme Gm or whatever! True that they have been absentee parents til now, but no more.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Spent 3 hours on Sunday night with the new kkw president. Had an interesting time with mixed feelings about some of the masters/gms there. Rather than give a full blown account of what went on I will sum up the important details.
1. The kkw will be making dvd's and manuals for curriculum in tkd schools. Good for the art but don't think many will like changing their existing curriculum. I like it. One standard for all.
2. Starting 2012 you will not be able to process kkw certs unless your school is a koms member and you have attended a master instructor course. That was made perfectly clear.
3. The korean masters do not want americans school owners to join. I was the token white master. There was one black, 3 mexican and one armerian master there. We had our own translator as the meeting was in korean. There were 90 korean masters/gms present. The announcement on the ctu events page was the only thing in hangul. This was supposed to be about unifying tkd! Shame on them. The kkw officials even wondered where the american masters were.
4. Get ready for more seminars:)
5. All of the korean masters from my town did not like it when they saw me having coffe with the kkw president. My late gms friends spotted me and invited me to join them. Little did i Know who else was there. Good thing I bowed low:)
To clarify #3....
I was referring to Korean masters in America. The KOMS official was prepared to give speech in english but, as I stated, there were only 6 of us who could not speak Korean.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then let them go. I don't see it happening that way though. The standard techniques to be taught will most likely be less than what most require and probably more than what few teach. They are not looking to radically change all of the schools. They just want all first dan/poom to know the same basic techniques (other than poomsae/kyoroogi) like self defense, one steps, PROPER basic's and give a proven method of teaching it. What is not to like? If masters/GM's think that it is too simple than add more but do not take away. If what they give is too hard then you need to train harder.
As far as being told what to teach and how to teach it, it is the KKW that certifies WTF TKD schools. If you dont need or want their certs then do not conform to the new standards when they come out. I will enjoy having less competition:)
It is up to them to set the standard, not you or any other school owner/Master/GM/Supreme Gm or whatever! True that they have been absentee parents til now, but no more.
I can fully appreciate where they are coming from and if it creates some consistency then it can only be a good thing. I just know how stubborn so many school owners are and I can see some of them having a problem with it, particularly belt factories and mcdojos where they just hand out black belts. They are not going to like having to tell little johnny he cant get his black belt in 12 months from white belt. But I suppose these are the clubs they are trying to weed out so its probably for the best. Ego will also get in the way for some I assume. What rank are the guys who take these seminars? Im sure schools looking to potentially hook up and become affiliated are not going to want to send their 8th dans to learn how to do form from 5th dans. I personally wouldnt have a problem with that, I dont have a problem with such things, but there is much ego and stubborness in the martial arts world.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can fully appreciate where they are coming from and if it creates some consistency then it can only be a good thing. I just know how stubborn so many school owners are and I can see some of them having a problem with it, particularly belt factories and mcdojos where they just hand out black belts. They are not going to like having to tell little johnny he cant get his black belt in 12 months from white belt. But I suppose these are the clubs they are trying to weed out so its probably for the best. Ego will also get in the way for some I assume. What rank are the guys who take these seminars? Im sure schools looking to potentially hook up and become affiliated are not going to want to send their 8th dans to learn how to do form from 5th dans. I personally wouldnt have a problem with that, I dont have a problem with such things, but there is much ego and stubborness in the martial arts world.
Any 3rd dan and up can take the Master instructor seminar. You can not get the cert until you pass the physical/Written exam + get 4th Dan (if 3rd).
Both Courses I attended had KKW academy instructors who were 7th, 8th and 9th Dans. If you pick up the Textbook of tkd poomsae, By Kkw, you will see all of the seminar instructors. They are the ones on the dvd and in the pictures. GM park, Jeom beum, GM Hwang, In Sik and others. They are AWESOME!!!
DOWN WITH THE MC DOJANGS AND BELT FACTORIES!!!!!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any 3rd dan and up can take the Master instructor seminar. You can not get the cert until you pass the physical/Written exam + get 4th Dan (if 3rd).

Roll on the first course in the UK (I'd love to travel to Korea or the US to do it, but it's not financially feasible at the moment).

I wonder if this KOMS member (check) and certified instructor (not-check) criteria will apply globally in 2012 or just to countries that host that course?

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Roll on the first course in the UK (I'd love to travel to Korea or the US to do it, but it's not financially feasible at the moment).

I wonder if this KOMS member (check) and certified instructor (not-check) criteria will apply globally in 2012 or just to countries that host that course?

They were only discussing schools in the us. I don't think that they will enforce in other countries until seminars offered in said countries, but I really don't know. I am sure a plan is in the works.

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To clarify #3....
I was referring to Korean masters in America. The KOMS official was prepared to give speech in english but, as I stated, there were only 6 of us who could not speak Korean.

Do you know why there where only 6 American Masters there? Was the word not spread about this meeting?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both Courses I attended had KKW academy instructors who were 7th, 8th and 9th Dans. If you pick up the Textbook of tkd poomsae, By Kkw, you will see all of the seminar instructors. They are the ones on the dvd and in the pictures. GM park, Jeom beum, GM Hwang, In Sik and others. They are AWESOME!!!
DOWN WITH THE MC DOJANGS AND BELT FACTORIES!!!!!
Anything that rids us of belt factories will be a good thing.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. It is their reputation that they are trying to fix. They will be offering more courses and take a more active role in promoting TKD unity. Things will only go downhill for those who do not meet basic standards. Why would anyone complain that they do not want to go to a master instructors course? Are they above learning? Is it really that hard to become a student again? Or are their pocket's too full and bellies too fat? I have made it to 2 masters courses, 6 poomsae seminars and 5 coaching/referee seminars in the past 3 years. I only have one assistant and I can do it.

No for some it is because they choose to go to there Instructor who they have been training with for years. Others see it as the foriegn people are trying to run us and you know this, while others just find every excuse they can.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is what brothers me and alot of folks, when you say they do not want any Americans to join. This says they want the money to stay with Korean people, why. If they are looking to really unifieed TKD should they not want all the American Masters here to be a big part of this for them. It looks like the old Hitler thing we are superior and you are nothing.:asian:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
this is how it was during the 80's/90's. Only certain Korean Masters could promote so they held the market on certifying people. They district out the state and depending on where you lived, that was the one who gouged you to certify your students.

This created ALOT of resentment toward Korean Masters and KKW that I saw. In fact, my fist instructor told them to shove it when the Grand puba decided to tell him he had to be present at testings and wanted his cut on top of the fee for the KKW cert.

Looks like we may be going back to the way it used to be.

Not if I can Help it.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

This is what brothers me and alot of folks, when you say they do not want any Americans to join. This says they want the money to stay with Korean people, why. If they are looking to really unifieed TKD should they not want all the American Masters here to be a big part of this for them. It looks like the old Hitler thing we are superior and you are nothing.:asian:

I cant speak for All, only what I seen/saw/knew, but thats how it was during the USTU days (where i was; that I saw) the Koreans ran everything and gave the Americans little or no respect, would not promote to high ranks, charged a fortune for certifying Americans and thier students, gave thier fellow Korean instructors breaks or at cost for certifying, and used it as an Income generator.

So many were pissed when the USAT took over with an American running TKD in the US and soon lost any and all power they had. It was always aout POWER. This sounds like a way to try and regain that power once lost.

AND NO this is not a slam against USTU or a pat on the Back for USAT. I'm not referring to what the ORGs did, I referring to what some people within the ORGs during that era did.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
HEY MSMITHT,
Did they mention anything bout a List of all KOMS schools being published or being made available?

Another words, I'm signed up, does my school name appear on a list somewhere that is open to the public or other KOMS schools so everyone can see who is and isnt a member?

If so, this could be useful and bad depending on how you view it.

Latest Discussions