OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All right!

1st in kumite
1st loser in kata :)

The karateka I fought was 11 years my younger and we are both white belts. It was, actually, a grueling fight. I was a little surprised I won.

He is also the one that took first in kata for my division.

A lot of fun :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on your kumite victory! And, congratulations on your first tournament.

I'd like to hear some detail on how you think things went. What went well? Where do you plan on improving? Was anything especially surprising, exciting, or disappointing?

Let us know.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Congratulations on your kumite victory! And, congratulations on your first tournament.
Tnank you very much.

Navarre said:
I'd like to hear some detail on how you think things went.
Well, it was a bit disorienting, not knowing what to expect; but, we had Sensei, his Sensei and another Black belt doing the judging. I paid close attention to the scoring process and now have a better idea how that's done. It was smooth, start to finish.

Navarre said:
What went well?
No one commited seppuku d/t shame in the ring. That was good. I did my form well; but, not well enough. I had no fear of my opponent; although, he was a tough one...yes, he was. About 5' 5", 180, maybe and built of stone. Solid hitter with good legs. My legs (now deemed flipperfeet by some of the audience) were faster and a bit more accurate.

Navarre said:
Where do you plan on improving?
Smoothness and relaxation in the ring and in kata are both targets for improvement. I need to develop some fist/arm combinations and rely a little less on my kicks, I think.

Navarre said:
Was anything especially surprising, exciting, or disappointing?
I was not surprised by the kata place. My competitor was skilled, smooth and better practiced than I. I am, however, surprised by the kumite decision. We were 2-2 when the final point came. I was certain he had a body kick that beat my straight punch. Shigata ga na, neh?

Navarre said:
Let us know.
Thanks for all the support and advice.

Attachments

• $IstWin.jpg
    $IstWin.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 219

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's all good to hear.

Randy is right that having fun is the most important thing. It sounds like you did, so Good Job!

It also sounds like you've learned a lot from it too. Tournaments are about as close to a real fight as it is to crocheting a sweater or milking a goat. Still, we can learn a lot about our abilities and how we react under pressure.

In that regards, tournaments are useful tools as well as fun. It sounds like you got a lot of both.

And, although your medals show a base leg knee kick that is clearly against tourament rules (the things they teach these kids!) I am proud of you just the same.

Take whatever you can carry away from the event and adapt it into advancing yourself for the real world. Again, Good Job Egg!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
It also sounds like you've learned a lot from it too. Tournaments are about as close to a real fight as it is to crocheting a sweater or milking a goat. Still, we can learn a lot about our abilities and how we react under pressure.
Agreed; but, they are quite different from sparring in class. I learned quite a bit more in that regard.

Navarre said:
And, although your medals show a base leg knee kick that is clearly against tourament rules (the things they teach these kids!) I am proud of you just the same.
That's not really me on the medal ;)

egg

PS: It also bears stating this this event is the first athletic event I have won, placed or showed in all my 44 years.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
they [tournaments] are quite different from sparring in class. I learned quite a bit more in that regard.
Yes, you certainly find out a lot more about how you really fight in a tournament than in class. The difference in stress level is remarkable.

Your logical next step is a caged pit fighter match in the Hong Kong underground. Good luck!

OnlyAnEgg said:
That's not really me on the medal ;)
I know. When I fought in tournaments I consistently requested upon my arrival that they replaced the gold medal in all my events with one displaying my face. ... They seemed to find my request amusing. I'm sure it was only an embarrassed laughter because they had no time to properly rework the medals.

OnlyAnEgg said:
It also bears stating this this event is the first athletic event I have won, placed or showed in all my 44 years.
And that is a spectacular feeling! Any moment in our lives where we face a true challenge and persevere through ethical conduct and focused spirit is worth celebrating. I don't drink but here's a cold pitcher of iced tea from me! :supcool:

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I do not drink, as well, iced tea will be just wonderful, thank you.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures from the event. In all shots, I am the old man ;)

No, really:
1: Kata finish
2: Kumite finish
3: Kumite (I know...I'm wide open)
4: Just mugging for the camera

Attachments

• $KataFinish.jpg
    $KataFinish.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 300
  • $KumiteFinish.jpg
    $KumiteFinish.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 229
  • $Flipperfeet.jpg
    $Flipperfeet.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 271
  • $HammingItUp.jpg
    $HammingItUp.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 294

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the pics, Egg!

As you noticed, having some pics or video can help you analyze areas where you want to improve, such as closing your guard side when attacking. ... Y'know, you can clear that little error right up with PhotoShop; even create cool explosion effects around your punch.

The setting looks to be much smaller than I usually see. I'm used to most tournaments being held in a high school gym somewhere. Was this tournament for students only from your school, sister schools, or open to the MA community at large?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was open to the MA community; but, it seems only our school and Sensei Annarino's (Sensei's sensei) competed. It must be said, though, I did not poll everyone that attended.

I'll say this, though, I need to find a sparring partner and just that quick, too. Simply sparring in class is woefully inadequate in preparing for a competition.

In any event, small; but, fun and exciting. I can't wait for the next :)

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Y'know, you can clear that little error right up with PhotoShop;
I see what you mean about fixing the error.

This is much better...

Attachments

• $Corrected.jpg
    $Corrected.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 222
OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok...back to some sembelance of reality :)

I'm going to start to tape my practice here at home. I can't think of a better critic than myself when it comes to me.

Question: has anyone else taped themselves? is it a good idea or a trip into despair?

thanks

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I think it's a great idea. I've taped my katas and techniques, as well as belt tests. It shows me progression, even regression, and easily points out areas to be improved. I have to take into account intangible things like age, conditioning, spiritual state, and so forth but it is indeed a very helpful tool.

My sensei also had some tapes of himself as a white belt and yellow belt. One day when I was struggling and felt like I didn't have what it took, he showed methe tapes. We laughed together at them and I realized that all of our journies are perpetually uphill but worth the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions