Knifehand Block or Sudo Makki

GENIUS MARTIAL ARTS

White Belt
Reaction score
DONT TELL ME WHAT I AM TRYING TO COMMUNICATE......i just know what i know and was just trying to help out anyone that cares....."never doubt he who has nothing to gain from saying something." sorry if i have offended anyone ive not been on forums before, maybe i should keep my thoughts to myself in future...enjoy martial arts everyone and relax a little. stress must be expelled straight away.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For our example, if I use a “knifehand block” as a block, then the technique is a block. If I use it as a wrist release, then that technique is a wrist release. If I use it as a strike, then it’s a strike. If I use it as an arm lock, then that’s what it is.

I feel it’s a bit self-limiting to pigeon hole any particular technique as “it’s a block” or “there are no blocks, only strikes”. It’s just a particular technique that can be used in multiple ways. If you use it as a throw, then it’s a throw at that moment, not a block. But of course there can be many other uses for the same physical movement/technique.

“Free your mind” (Morpheus to Neo in The Matrix)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DONT TELL ME WHAT I AM TRYING TO COMMUNICATE......i just know what i know and was just trying to help out anyone that cares....."never doubt he who has nothing to gain from saying something." sorry if i have offended anyone ive not been on forums before, maybe i should keep my thoughts to myself in future...enjoy martial arts everyone and relax a little. stress must be expelled straight away.

Your manner came across a bit abruptly and kind of condescendingly. It's important to remember that, on a message board, we are limited to text and words -- but most of our communication is non-verbal in reality. So we lose a whole lot when we don't have the tone of voice or expression or body language. Something else to remember here is that you don't know who you're talking to, and saying things like "when you're a master, you'll know..." can be more than a little condescending -- especially if you're actually talking to someone who's 5th, 6th dan... or higher.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
By completely denying that a Technique can be used in several ways, and declaring two Martial Arts to be the same?
Your intentions may have been good, but your delivery was quite bad.
And there is still a slight blend of logical contradiction (Such as, Original Korean Karate, given that Original Karate is not Korean, and as such, Original Karate was changed, to form Korean Karate, which you now wish unchanged; Which was to a minor extent used to form Taekwon-Do, to which the same arguement of acceptance made by Korean Karate to Original Karate can be made.) and a lack of open-mindedness (Pretty much the way you said "This is the only way to do it, because thats how weve learnt that it was always done, and anything else is miseducation".).

Noone was trying to tell you what you were trying to Communicate. They were having a conversation about the Topic you started. And it just so happens that what they were trying to say, is different to what you were trying to say. They were stating their opinions, and discussing those. Not discussing yours.
And in closure;
"If you position yourself into the hard stance of the movement HAVING to be only a throw. Then your proverbial cup is too full. I have seen and used this technique in class, and it only illustrates the various uses of this "movement.

And i for one, was never anything other than quite Calm. I saw noone here get Tense.

Last edited:

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I was debating with my TKD friend last night about the 'right' way to perform this technique. In his school, it's invariably practiced along a straight line where the hands chamber towards the rear and then shoot forward with the characteristic open hand position. I argue that while the chamber position is less important (many styles do it different ways), the motion in which it comes forward and strikes should be a circular one as it travels and then terminates at the bottom of the arc. My reasoning is that the application is meant to be a chop or slash or even a 2-handed grap or trap, and it's best to get everyone used to this type of motion early on through basics.

Your thoughts?

Good question.

Let's look at it from two perspectives; power and speed.

From the perspective of power, an arc motion will build more momentum and therefore will execute with more power on target. Generally speaking, depending on the target struck, it will be a harder and therefore more damaging strike. It is however, slower as it has to travel through a longer amount of space before reaching its target. The arc-motion strike (be it a knife hand or ridge hand) is best left for a finishing strike after the attacker his been stunned by a previous strike or is not facing you directly (and therefore in a position to intercept, block or move away from the strike). It is a strike that is by its design telegraphed to the attacker.

From the perspective of speed, the linear knife hand is faster to deliver on target. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. It is easier to use as a frontal, first strike as it has less distance to travel, is harder to intercept or move away from and can be delivered from far more angles than the arc-strike. Although perhaps not as powerful as the arc-strike, since it is faster it is very possible to deliver more than one strike in the same amount of time thus negating this slight disadvantage. And again, depending upon target location, it may not make much of a difference in the long run.

Also consider a linear forearm strike as well in place of the linear knife hand strike. Larger surface area striking the target with the same speed but greater momentum.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes I did get it. There is still and arch as your body needs to turn as well on a 30 degree angle forcing the arc. There is not straight line. I think you misinterpreted what is meant by an arc. It is not making a half circle with your arm by no means but you do need to arc as to come around with the body. A straight line block would almost be like tring to catch the punch. You really would be minimizing the interception point.

We may be talking the same thing but just looking at it differently. If I take your mirror cleaning example then I still see an arc. Your forearm would still touch the glass at a point that is away from the punch then move toward the punch as it comes across the mirror. That is how I am seeing it.

I would be interested to see the comparison made in video format...at the end of the day (without regard to the high vs low chamber position) the primary blocking limb will be traveling from one side of the body to the other, this requires some arching motion, as the blocking limb crosses from one shoulder line to the other. Without it you would be executing a flat or straight "spearhand". Something to this effect was already mentioned.

The more i perceive it, the more I would use the term straight line arch (oxymoron I know) as separate from the older Karate circular delivery.

I am interested to hear more, and possibly see a video presentation of the opposing opinions!

Latest Discussions