Knife from WW3 Combative's

Discussion in 'Weapon Videos' started by WW3 Combatives, Jul 20, 2016.

1. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Any relation to the climbing family of Swiss Guides, Edward Feuz Sr. &Jr. (both deceased...)....?

2. WW3 Combatives

WW3 Combatives Yellow Belt

As far as I know, he is still alive. I haven't talked to him in over a year. My cousin is closer to him than I am and he hasn't said anything about him dying. Perhaps the Ed I know is the third Ed in his family.

3. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

So is he trying to be conceptual or technical?

There seems to be a lot of techniques. Which i wouldn't try to do if i was banging together a combatives.

4. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I wonder why he titled it "ancient" if it was something he created. I also wonder why he called it "qigong" if it's Swiss in origin. Not your responsibility, of course, but it seems that he gave his creation a rather misleading name.

Not really an attack on you personally, but certainly a critique on the videos you've shown and the sales pitch on your website.

Even if your system was the best in the world, you wouldn't be doing your students any favors by providing instructional videos where you don't explain why you are doing what you are doing.

I've been training martial arts for about 35 years now. My current primary art is BJJ, but I do some other training as well and have spent time on a variety of arts over the years. I've tried to do some rough calculations on the mat time I've spent on different arts over the years and it currently works out to something like this:

5500+ hours BJJ (black belt)
    2000+ hours Muay Thai (instructor license)
    1500+ hours Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (black belt)
    600+ hours Yudansha Fighting Systems (a Danzan ryu spinoff)
    500+ hours Boxing
    400+ hours Judo
    300+ hours SCA heavy weapons fighting
    100+ hours Kali (various flavors), Wrestling
    10 - 100 hours each TKD, Bando, Tai Chi, Karate, Sambo, Wing Chun, Capoeira
    less than 10 hours each Silat, JKD, Shaolin Do, HEMA

That's not including time spent reading and studying videos, which I've also done quite a lot of.

I'll let the others provide their own bios, but I can tell you that several of them have training backgrounds that
    are as extensive than my own or more so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

Wow. It's hard to know where to start with all of that, but this is as good of a place as any. What you wrote there is the exact opposite of how the body actually works. When a muscle on the posterior side of particular joint contracts, it does not make it easier to recruit the muscles on the anterior. In fact, it actually makes it harder to recruit them. It's called Reciprocal Inhibition, and there are a ton of studies showing this phenomenon, from simple reflex actions such as removing one's hand from a hot stove, to more complex tasks such as training for strength, or cyclic tasks such as cycling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

It sounds impossible because it is BS. The strongest people in the world, as in elite level athletes in lifting sports, cannot lift anywhere near that much. The world's greatest Olympic Weightlifters lift only approximately 3 times their body weight, and World Record holding Powerlifters lift around 3-4, and that is with a squat suit, deadlift suit, and bench press shirt, plus knee wraps and wrist wraps, to make things easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

All muscles pull, and none of them push. That being said, you certainly can training pressing/pushing motions. However, the suggestion that by training a pulling motion (such as a row, etc), you are developing the muscles on the opposite side of the body (pec major, minor, anterior delt, etc.), is entirely false. Muscles respond to damage which is induced mechanically and metabolically. No loading = no damage = no adaptation. In relatively untrained persons, you can see low/moderate strength adaptations through stretching a muscle statically, but that is about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WW3 Combatives

Since I am only a student in this system, I have a very limited understanding of the science behind it all. I can only speak from experience. I was told that most of the world does exercise backwards. Don't take my word for it. We all have different perspectives that we have trained from. This works for me and I will continue to do it.

9. WW3 Combatives

I just learned that I should not be speaking about Ed and his system. It is not my place to use his name. I would appreciate if we didn't go around telling everyone about him. Out of respect to his wishes. I was just trying to explain to everyone what my system is about. My understanding of his system and his family are way too limited for me to speak about it. I only know what I have been taught about my own body and the little stories he told me while we were training.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

This is not a situation where more than one thing can be true depending on how one looks at it. Nor is it a matter of perspective on what we have trained. It is about volumes of scientific data from peer-reviewed journals on how the body does or does not work.

11. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Ha!

Now you guys know how i feel.

12. Tired_Yeti

Tired_Yeti Green Belt

Hey! You may be onto something here!
    From now on, I will not lift weights. I will have people hand them to me then I'll drop them on the floor! Brilliant!!
    And to think...all this time, I'd been exercising backward.

"Re-stomp the groin"
    Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

13. tony dear

tony dear White Belt

Thanks Joe.... very clear now.

14. tony dear

tony dear White Belt

The instructors you have trained with have my complete respect and they have passed on to you all you needed to know to combine the best of three worlds....but into a set of principles.....with further dvds and explanation I am sure it will catch on......combatives from DAMIAN ross IS AWESOME......combatives with pressure points is more awesome.....plus wing chun..... human body based kung fu is the other paert of a very effective secret sauce...... this system is not really for martial artists...the principles can be added to MA though.... its for combatives enthusiasts getting an extra edge......I have a ton of dvds for self defence... this one is my new go to ....

15. tony dear

tony dear White Belt

16. tony dear

tony dear White Belt

If you do Martial Arts for business...inevitably you will have to innovate..... then market like hell to be successful...have a competitive advantage etc.....those of us who earn their living in another field dont have to do this...so we can be overwhelmed by the claims etc......I take all with a pinch of salt but really listen to the principles and check if something would improve my efficiency in dangerous situations... in this I think combatives coupled with a knowledge of pressure zones and how the body works will be a sound concept and worth exploring.

17. Blindside

Blindside Senior Master

• Founding Member
    You mean like repackaging really basic martial arts and selling it to people and telling them that by training "30 minutes per day two times per week, you will turn into a weapon of mass destruction?" What a joke. Self Defense Training with Damian Ross That is "market like hell" to succeed, and apparently you (literally) bought it.

You know what happens when that one hour of training per week runs into four hours of training per week who actually train against bodies? Those "engines of mass destruction" get their *** kicked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tony dear

tony dear White Belt

Thats why I also train with bodies in kung fu and krav maga in Prague.

19. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    If by "innovate" you mean slap a new brand on some basic techniques and "market like hell" you mean spout a bunch of malarkey which can only be classified as delusional or outright lies, then Damian Ross does seem to be following your recipe for business success.

In the real world, training an hour per week without a training partner for 6 weeks will not make you into an invincible killing machine who can instantly pulverize attackers twice your size, no matter what system you are studying. Mr. Ross is preying on the gullible. I wouldn't recommend that Mr. Landry follow in his footsteps.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. frank raud

frank raud Master Black Belt

I learned combatives from Carl Cestari, first in person and then with his videos(I can be seen in the Fairbairn and O'Neill seminar tapes) and am certified in PPCT. Pressure points(as I learned them) are contradictory to combatives as taught by Carl, and I would assume Damian.

• Like Like x 1