Knife form/Hyung/Kata video

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you added knife to your present forms yet?
If not I would suggest that before learning a new one.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why would you want to learn something like that from the internet instead of from your teacher? Especially if it is not from the art you are studying?

I could show you a form (juru) from Silat that uses a knife. But I could not show you what you needed to make it work unless it was face to face. There is just so much that happens underneath the surface that it would be impossible to have you learn something just by viewing in on a video.

And different arts approach problems at different angles. Some hit with strength and snaps and others hit like a wave that pushes you back and drowns you. And these arts are built around principles like this. You could no more take something from one art and try to use it with the habits from another art than you could run a Macintosh program on a Windows computer. It is a mistake many low- level martial artists make in thinking that there is no differences and that they can take anything from any art and not be limited on what they do.

You risk wasting a lot of time or even building up bad habits by trying to learn a form on your own. I know it can be frustrating, but getting down the basics of your art to a point where you can see the differences between what you do and others is a very, very needed step before you start trying to add things from outside your dojang.

Latest Discussions