Knife Defense Clothing

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was wearing my heavy leather jacket one day while working with a knife -- it slipped and I stabbed myself in the forearm hard enough to cause a bruise, but it didn't penetrate the leather. (But it was a heavy leather jacket).

I have a friend who wears motorcycle jackets (leather) with the heavy-duty zip-up sleeves - the metal zippers add a bit of protection to the inside of the forearm -- a prime target to experienced knife-fighters.

One thing about leather; although I said that earlier that clothing and leather can be helpful, I want to reiterate its usefulness. Leather helped me out once in an actual knife situation where I took the knife out of someones hand; but I was wearing leather gloves and that made all the difference between me being cut and not.

If Motorcyclists wear sturdy leather to guard them in case they wipe out, then logic dictates that it might be useful against sharp weapons.

No garuantee's mind you, just helps your probability a little is all...

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing about leather; although I said that earlier that clothing and leather can be helpful, I want to reiterate its usefulness. Leather helped me out once in an actual knife situation where I took the knife out of someones hand; but I was wearing leather gloves and that made all the difference between me being cut and not.

If Motorcyclists wear sturdy leather to guard them in case they wipe out, then logic dictates that it might be useful against sharp weapons.

No garuantee's mind you, just helps your probability a little is all...

I think that's the general idea about leather, historically. It's not plate or chain, & it's pretty resistant to everything but the most direct attacks (right angles = stabs), just enough protection to give you time to do what you need to do.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How often in a knife attack will you have the time to take off your jacket to use it as a "weapon"? I mean, I respect cloak & dagger stuff, but you have to survive the initial attack.

I say, heavy leather jackets & footwork.
I could already have the knife in me before I knew he had one too. There are all kinds of what-ifs for any given situation, so, assuming I had the time, I'd whip the jacket off my left or right arm. That will effectively have the jacket off for the sake of using it as a weapon, assuming I don't have time to whip off my jacket, I get stuck in the process and would likely be stuck in the process of performing any other defensive action when caught by surprise. It is my choice of defensive move where I consider all of them to have equal chances. I often have my coat off, draped around my arm just for this purpose. I'd rather have a baseball bat.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I could already have the knife in me before I knew he had one too. There are all kinds of what-ifs for any given situation, so, assuming I had the time, I'd whip the jacket off my left or right arm. That will effectively have the jacket off for the sake of using it as a weapon, assuming I don't have time to whip off my jacket, I get stuck in the process and would likely be stuck in the process of performing any other defensive action when caught by surprise. It is my choice of defensive move where I consider all of them to have equal chances. I often have my coat off, draped around my arm just for this purpose. I'd rather have a baseball bat.

You can train for rush attacks. Check out the Dog Bros material,"Die Less Often". It'll help, I promise.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A shape thin bladed knife will usuall slash / stab right through any cotton type material, layed or not. Leather will stop a slash but not a stab.
Today many of the "bad *** types" will carry a thin bladed weapon. The reason for this is,
* easier to hide,
* ease of motion,
* a thin blade can slash through material easier,
* they have the ability to stab through most police light body armor,
Many of the "knifers" are trained with the edged weapon. They know that when a person is wearing heavy clothing to strike at the less protected area's like,
* your face,
* eyes,
* the neck area,
* wrist and hands
* inside / outside of the legs,
* using a low to high upward motion to get up under your heavy torse clothing.
If you are in fear of an edged weapon attack you should train in a weapons self defense system.
Or
Under your heavy clothing wear a leather wrap around your forearms. Whan searching a few of the "bag guys" I have found such leather forearm wraps.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
basicly any thing that is heavy is better then light. silk and leather are more resistant to slash and thrust then say cotton that is thin... but layers can help.. best thing is to not be there.. if a blade comes out you better get very very aggressive and lethal.. cold steel people will KILL YOU and make sure you are DEAD.. gun types my shoot you and figure your down and take off.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

ok, I have made curbalee armor wax hardened armor.. and it will stop a cut as well as a blunt weapon from imperical testing.. it is very very stiff and not practical for every day wear.. you would be better off to make some light chain mail if you are that worried about it. use a riveted mail,, 4 on 1 pattern or 2 on 8 ... in stainless steel in say 20 gage with rivets or welded links it will give great protection ageist thrusts and slashes especially.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you serious? What do you do, wad the web up into a ball and stuff it into the wound? (Assuming you don't stuff the spider in there too!) What about cobwebs?

Serious. I wouldn't recommend cobwebs, you are applying a non-sterile material into a wound, I'd use clean webs.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you got some good leather make a van brace for each for arm from it.. and wear them under a jacket..splint them with thin sheet metal riveted along the long axis if you want to really be protected... either way you better get very very aggressive and put any one with a blade down hard! people with knives tend to make sure they kill you! in my state any one brandishing a knife at you from 22ft or closer is justifiable homicide to just shoot dead!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Wearing any type of heavy clothing will help some against an knife attacker...especially a slasher....stabbing may results in "PUKA" (hawaiian word for hole).

Which is smarter...the brain (avoidance,awareness, running away) or staying around to defend against a knifer with your thick clothing?

NOTE: If blocking knife attacks using your arms...face palms towards you and back of your arm out. Better to get cut on back side of your arms then the inside arms where the veins are. (practice this...experiement?)

The best knife defence is distance...at least one mile away?

Do NOT expect your clothes to protect you? A knife person may tarket the more open areas? ...wouldn't you too?

Aloha ( sometime in Hawaii we have to where heavy clothes..suits? ....instead of t-shirts and shorts......to a formal party)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great looking Hoodies'

They should make CHILDREN SIZES TOO!

Is there any American companies that make them here?

Aloha

Latest Discussions