Kids in the Octagon

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The questions are really:

Should kids be allowed to spar, with control, with rules, without head-contact and under supervision? Yes.
Should kids be allowed to kickbox under the above conditions? Yes.
Should kids be allowed to learn submission grappling under the above conditions? Yes.

The video showed that the referee was enforcing the no head-shots rule--during the part we saw at least. So it appears that the bout was supervised and the fighters were not going full contact.

So it looked OK to me. Now, would my wife want our kids doing that...probably not...but she doesn't even like seeing them do headstands...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
The questions are really:

Should kids be allowed to spar, with control, with rules, without head-contact and under supervision? Yes.
Should kids be allowed to kickbox under the above conditions? Yes.
Should kids be allowed to learn submission grappling under the above conditions? Yes.

The video showed that the referee was enforcing the no head-shots rule--during the part we saw at least. So it appears that the bout was supervised and the fighters were not going full contact.

So it looked OK to me. Now, would my wife want our kids doing that...probably not...but she doesn't even like seeing them do headstands...

I agree...although, I think my wife would have the same problems that yours would. I thought the video showed a very good bout and a controlled environment where kids could do MMA. It really sparked some ideas in my mind. I liked it. Some people think that teaching kids is the first step toward creating a McDojo, but I think that if bouts are done like this, it could really advanced the sport.

Latest Discussions