Kids carrying knives in school

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are some techniques you could teach someone that are purely defensive (teaching them to raise their forearms in front of the their body, tops of the forearms outward, would be one such technique), but you're absolutely right. Most of the instructors with whom I've trained were at least moderately careful, if not very strict, about whom they would teach potentially lethal material. I would think the maturity and character of the individual teenager would make the difference in determining whether you could, in good conscience, teach them knife use.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Phil Elmore said:
There are some techniques you could teach someone that are purely defensive (teaching them to raise their forearms in front of the their body, tops of the forearms outward, would be one such technique), but you're absolutely right. Most of the instructors with whom I've trained were at least moderately careful, if not very strict, about whom they would teach potentially lethal material. I would think the maturity and character of the individual teenager would make the difference in determining whether you could, in good conscience, teach them knife use.

This is true. There are some techniques that could be taught, but it certainly isn't a package that I would want to use to defend my life.

One of the things that this thread has forced me to think about is how I weigh these character issues with the lives my students. There really is no safe side. On one hand, you could teach kids to use and defend against knives in order to give them something to protect themselves and on the other hand, one could not teach this to kids in order to protect others.

This makes the decision of whether or not to trust a student a potential life or death situation.

W

West_Virginia_judoka

upnorthkyosa said:
This is true. There are some techniques that could be taught, but it certainly isn't a package that I would want to use to defend my life.

One of the things that this thread has forced me to think about is how I weigh these character issues with the lives my students. There really is no safe side. On one hand, you could teach kids to use and defend against knives in order to give them something to protect themselves and on the other hand, one could not teach this to kids in order to protect others.

This makes the decision of whether or not to trust a student a potential life or death situation.

Trusting a student is always a potentially life or death situation whatever their age. There is a reason this activity is called martial arts.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I guess as you work with them, you'll develop a relationship with them, and get a feeling of how they are. Then you could make a judgement about training them. The knives are out there (unfortunately) and they are dealing with them. Tough question, I say go on an individual basis the best you can.

Latest Discussions