kicking the knee

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You see a bunch of oblique kicks that end fights and you see a bunch that don't.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just curious. Why are you asking.

OK, I was not as clear about my inquire as I could have been. Back when I was young I was taking class on quick ways to end a street fight when someonewas already in your face. One of the techniques was to kick your oppenent in the knee, disabling him. Made sense to me. I kept that in m y mind all these years, never actually had to try it. The other day I saw a video said this most likeley won't work.
so all these years been keeping a thought that is invalid? Not sparing. Thanks.
Then to answer your question.
1. It's a valid technique. People thought that this was bad, but what he's doing is very targeted with good control. Which is why he was able to do it as many times as he did on the same person.

2. For those without control or for those who want to damage your knee, it tends to look like this.

3. It's an easy kick for me, but I don't think it's an easy kick for most. It's a difficult kick to be mobile with, It also requires really good timing. Most people have trouble using the kick.

The weakness of this kick is a bent knee. A stance where the knee is bent will protect your knee from those sorts of kicks. You can stomp a knee like this all day long and it will never bend back. The stance also protect against stomps to the thigh.
1710046400584.png

The timing for this kick is to be used when the knee is straight as shown in this video.

When I taught Jow Ga applications, I would always teach students to kick the shin. This allows students to build the timing, speed, accuracy, and control that's needed to target the knee. The benefit of this, is that there's no risk to damging the knees.
1710046763118.png

4. Will this technique work? Yes. But you have to be good at it, in order for it to work. Like everything else. If you aren't good at the technique, then it most likely won't work.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
just found this

The problem with this is that it's System A vs System A. Wing chun vs Wing Chun knee kick. If your attacker is doing wing chung then this is how you do that kick. It's not going to work that way when it's System A vs System B. Unless System B gives you the same stance that a wing chun practitioner will take.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OP.
If you really want to end a fight very quickly, then focus on how to create distance and escape and then maybe take BJJ.

kicks that break knees only work when you can control distance. If you are too close then your only option is to escape and create the distance that is needed.

I personally wouldn't rely on knee breaks. It's a good tool to have but I definitely wouldn't get into a fight if that was my only tool. So whoever the person is that you may have to break their knee. Don't, If you are aksing these questions, then you clearly have not train it enough to use it correctly.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My father practiced kyokushin- he used to drive me nuts in sparring with that kick you showed
WE use it sparsely in sparring as it is painful an annoyig.

Unlike a mawashi geri were you need to add some power to give pain when someone tenses the leg, this kick delivers good pain without much effort. I think heel kicks are to kickers, what single knuckle strikes are to punchers. This kicks also has the advantage that as an attacker you don't risk getting your own shin block with a kneed or the opponents shin, which is also painful. So in several ways is this a smart and effective kick.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Will kicking an advesary in the knee from the front or side of their knee brake their knee? Thanks.
Are we talking "braking" as in slowing or stopping, or "breaking" as to separate or interrupt (a bone break)?
Huge difference.

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wrote "braking" (beaking) because I was using the term loosely. What I was told is it will cause enought injury/pain that the attacker will be unable/unwilling to continue the attack.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wrote "braking" (beaking) because I was using the term loosely. What I was told is it will cause enought injury/pain that the attacker will be unable/unwilling to continue the attack.
When someone tells you something "will" do something, it's pretty much always nonsense. The best that can be said about any technique is "may".

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Won't eork

Sometimes he talks about things that he doesn't fully understand. For example, The same technique directed at the knee will damage and break stuff. The same technique at the shin, will not break anything nor was it ever designed or used for that purpose when trying to attack the shin

The thing that makes it work is that the shins are very sensitive which is why people condition them not to be. When the skin is scrapped off the shin, that part of your leg will become more sensitive. I know this from firsthand of having it done to me.

The video should have been short and it should have simply stated "When this technique targets the shin, the function is not to break."

So when does the technique work? Or more accurately when should you use this technique.
1. When your opponent is defending and not advancing
2. When your opponent is advancing.

In the video. He uses this technique as an offensive technique but in reality, it's more of a counter technique.

FIGHTING SECRETS!!!!
1. When you attack your opponent, your opponent will move more, and in multiple directions.
2. When you retreat from your opponent, your opponent will follow in a linear manner which sets up the positioning for this kick.

So if you need someone to stand in front of you, simply move backwards. That person will follow you in a linear manner. This is the first lesson in understanding how to control the movements of others and it's often overlooked.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Will kicking an advesary in the knee from the front or side of their knee brake their knee? Thanks.
Likely not without the correct control, position, timing and energy which is rarely taught.

I wrote "braking" (breaking) because I was using the term loosely. What I was told is it will cause enought injury/pain that the attacker will be unable/unwilling to continue the attack.
A correct term is tearing the knee ligaments (e.g., ACL, MCL). Here is a side kick to the knee that injured and disabled the attacker.

From open stance, Rountree misses at first, then lands the side kick on the thigh above the knee...

A doctor's analysis.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I was told is it will cause enought injury/pain that the attacker will be unable/unwilling to continue the attack.
It does cause a lot of pain when:
1. an unconditioned shin is kicked more than once
2. the skin on the shin breaks and you kick that same spot.
3. the kick is done with significant force. When this kick lands on a heavy bag, that heavy bag should show the force that was put into it. The sound should be loud as if it was struck hard.

If you can't do any of the 3 above 90% of the time then it "won't happen" Any thing like like dirty said. "It may" happen

It works well in MMA but it works much better with shoes on. I think this is one of those techniques that was intended for use footwear, simply because it becomes functional in more ways.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So if you need someone to stand in front of you, simply move backwards. That person will follow you in a linear manner. This is the first lesson in understanding how to control the movements of others and it's often overlooked.
An excellent example of how to passively control the opponent without them knowing they're being controlled. An innocent looking way to "funnel" him into your kill zone. While there are numerous ways to manipulate the opponent, simple body positioning or a single step is the easiest and often the least risky. A soft technique that works even in a hard style. You're right, often overlooked, especially by those too power oriented and aggressive to consider a more subtle approach to control.

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
It works well in MMA but it works much better with shoes on. I think this is one of those techniques that was intended for use footwear, simply because it becomes functional in more ways.
I usually wear western boots with leather soles and 1.75" hard heels. So maybe it will do some damage? Actually, since I quit drinking and going to bars I have not been in a situation the turned violent. Managed to talk tension down. Hope to keep it that way. LOL

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually wear western boots with leather soles and 1.75" hard heels. So maybe it will do some damage? Actually, since I quit drinking and going to bars I have not been in a situation the turned violent. Managed to talk tension down. Hope to keep it that way. LOL
Avoidance is the best tactic. Knowing the danger areas and understanding your own emotional triggers shows high-level self-defence understanding. Quitting drinking and hanging out in rowdy bars and other places where fights are common is a great method. Fights look cool in movies and on the internet. The reality is much different, especially when people get severely injured as this can lead to expensive legal/medical bills, prison or the morgue - none of which are my idea of a good time.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Short answer, "yes" you can tear out the connective tissues in the knee joint. As someone else pointed out, it is going to be highly unlikely that you are going to break the knee cap (patella).

For examples, of this just go to youtube and type in "oblique kick". Jon Jones was very famous for its use. Many people would like the kick banned in MMA due to the high likelihood of injuries.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I usually wear western boots with leather soles and 1.75" hard heels. So maybe it will do some damage?
My sparring partner was able to scrape the skin off my shin with tennis shoes on. That part didn't hurt as much. I felt pain but it wasn't anything that would have stopped me from fighting. The real pain didn't come until He kicked the wound twice. In the video I have I fall to the ground due to the pain. I'm laughing, but the laughing was actually to play off the pain, the reality was after I fell to the ground I didn't spar anymore.

The pain makes it difficult to stand. It's a really sharp pain that lasts for 30 seconds. The scrape itself isn't going to end the find or stop the attacker. It's the striking on the open wound on the shine that causes the real damage.

The taps at the end with the wooden stick hurt so bad because his shins are damage. If you scraped off the skin, it would hurt 100x more.

For the scrape you'll only need to scrape up or down on the shin to break the skin. It doesn't take much power to do this and it will take out a patch of skin, at least that's what it did to my shin. After that you just need to kick the shin in the same spot. Anywhere near the wound will be extremely sensitive, the wound itself will be on fire. With adrenaline going, he's not going to really notice the first one, but the second and third kick to the shin he'll notice. Western boots will probably peel that skin off like a knife. With western boots you can probably do an upward toe kick to the shin and get better results. If were wearing construction boots or dress shoes then I would probable use an upward toe kick. If I'm wearing tennis choose then I want to use the edge of the foot. I don't think the scrape part works well in running shoes

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This highlights the reality of kicking the knee. It's more than just kicking the knee.

Latest Discussions