Kicking and Hip Injuries

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is interesting to hear about Mr. Parker and how others perceived his kicking ability. In the video, Concepts in Motion produced by Mr. Doug MeLeod (A BB seminar taped in '82) Mr. Parker stated he was never a "real good" kicker but he could teach the proper motions to become a great kicker. After showing the BB the proper mechanics you could see the improvement immediately. I assure you he surprised and impressed the BB with his kicking ability and of course his ASP (accuracy,speed,power).

EKP RIP
Big Pat

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are many considerations in what kicks you can do without injury, and how long you can go before the injuries become substantial and permanent. Ethnicity, age, and body geometry are major factors in conjunction with body mechanics and is usually not factored in, but is essential in any assessment.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich_Hale said:
Just a note to add to what Doc had to say about Mr. Parker not teaching the high/stressful kicks within his system.

Interestingly enough, I mentioned part of this story in a letter to Doc, just last night. I was telling him about one day when Mr. Parker said we were going to work on kicks during my lesson. As I confessed to Doc, the frozen look on my face must have given away my thoughts, because Mr. Parker said, “You don’t think I can teach you how to kick, do you? You think you are already a better kicker than I am don’t you? At that moment, I was naively thinking, Yes, I do think I’m the better kicker.

At the time I was fairly quick and I could kick straight up, so when Mr. Parker asked me to demonstrate a roundhouse kick I swiftly slipped one in at head level. He smiled and complimented my flexibility, then asked if I’d rather be hit with that kick or this one, as he thunders in a low roundhouse to knee level.

That kick scared the heck out of me, as I imagined my legs shattering beneath me. Then we spent the better part of an hour lowering, not only, the overall height of my kicks, but in dropping my hips - as I kicked as well. He explained to me how this would both create more power while providing my (new found) power a stable base upon which to rest during impact.

At the end of my lesson Mr. Parker asked if I still thought I could kick better than he could, and I said (with a smile) maybe not, but I’m closer now than I was an hour ago.

Today my kicks aren’t as lofty as they used to be, but thanks to Mr. Parker I think I can still hold my own when it comes to chopping the legs out from under the bad guy.

This all goes back to what Doc was saying about how Mr. Parker did not emphasize high kicks, but it also demonstrates Mr. Parker’s skill as a teacher who could take apart his (young) students kicks, while leaving his ego intact.

As for how my hip are holding out after all these years? Well, other than the burden of a few extra pounds resting upon them, they're doing okay.
Please sir, not to mention extra pounds please.

Latest Discussions