kick training with leg weights?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Slow reps,

Take this for what it is worth; this is part of what I was doing for taiji before I decided my Sifu knows better than I as to how to train Taiji. I posted this somewhere in one of Terry's threads but it was not with weights. Strength and balance work

Slow - Yes - Taiji slow :D

More - strength than balance
Front heel kick - Foot on Ground, front heel kick left (slow) return foot to ground - repeat with right (Right/Left first does not really matter)

Do the same with the side and the back.

Now more balance and still strength - if you do this do it without weights first and to NOT use heavy weights as you know simple physics, light weight so far from the pivot point and the stress on ones back may NOT be a good thing. To be honest I did not do this one with weights often

Same thing (kinda) front heel kick - waist high (do not return leg to floor)
Rotate leg (at hip) to side kick, hold for a second or 2. Rotate to back kick, hold for a second or 2. Bring leg down, do not touch the floor and go back to heel kick. Now reverse and when you get back to a heel kick, bring your leg to the floor and now do the other leg.

Basiclly up to front around to side, around to back, down (do not touch the floor) and back up to front - down (do not touch the floor) and return to back, around to side, around to front down to floor

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And if I recall correctly (which is no given any more :D), balance was a challenge you wanted to overcome early in your MA career. :wink2:

Yes, definitely, KW—my balance has gotten a lot better over the past year but I do not ever take it for granted and am always looking for ways to sharpen it and make it more adaptable to restrictive clothing, difficult surfaces, sloping ground, etc. (see, your memory is fine)...

Same thing (kinda) front heel kick - waist high (do not return leg to floor)
Rotate leg (at hip) to side kick, hold for a second or 2. Rotate to back kick, hold for a second or 2. Bring leg down, do not touch the floor and go back to heel kick. Now reverse and when you get back to a heel kick, bring your leg to the floor and now do the other leg.

Basiclly up to front around to side, around to back, down (do not touch the floor) and back up to front - down (do not touch the floor) and return to back, around to side, around to front down to floor

I've done exactly this sort of slow transition from kick type to kick type at various times... it really is tough, and I'm not yet prepared to do it with even my lightest leg weights...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, definitely, KW—my balance has gotten a lot better over the past year but I do not ever take it for granted and am always looking for ways to sharpen it and make it more adaptable to restrictive clothing, difficult surfaces, sloping ground, etc. (see, your memory is fine)...

I've done exactly this sort of slow transition from kick type to kick type at various times... it really is tough, and I'm not yet prepared to do it with even my lightest leg weights...

Then do it without leg weights in restrictive clothing, on difficult surfaces and sloping ground, etc. And as much as this may seem overly simplistic and likely not taken seriously... relax your shoulders and lower your center.

And you will achive :yinyang:eek:r at least get a little better at it

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then do it without leg weights in restrictive clothing, on difficult surfaces and sloping ground, etc. And as much as this may seem overly simplistic and likely not taken seriously... relax your shoulders and lower your center.

And you will achive :yinyang:eek:r at least get a little better at it
Good advice X-S. Can I use it too, or does one's name have to be Exile? ;)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
good or bad things?
Yes. ;)

exile said:
Probably some painful (or at least rather uncomfortable) achy-type things, I'm guessing.... :D
Yes. ;)

On the whole good things, even when highlighting areas where we need to progress. I hadn't done this exercise for awhile, and so it was a chance to show people who've started in the last year or so a new kind of 'homework'.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes. ;)

Yes. ;)

On the whole good things, even when highlighting areas where we need to progress. I hadn't done this exercise for awhile, and so it was a chance to show people who've started in the last year or so a new kind of 'homework'.

OH I got more :EG: that are basically just varying degrees of pain and evil :EG:

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've never seen any kickboxing gym using ankle weights when kicking. When I was a teenager I tried some isometric kicking with them and slow motion stuff, etc. There wasn't an appreciable difference in my kicking power. Doing a lot of body weight squats every day (100+) did make a difference, but doing a lot of ab work really improved my kicking power tremendously.

When I started doing Muay Thai, I talked to the trainers about it (using ankle weights, etc to improve kicking power). They actually laughed and explained that if I'm kicking fast, you can overextend your knees pretty easily on front kicks (teeps), kicking slowly doesn't really help my fast twitch muscles explode into the kicks and if a 10lb weight can really improve your muscle mass (of a 150lb person that's less than 10%), you needed to kick the heavy bag, squat a lot more and do a lot of russian twists/situps.

Their recipe for creating powerful kicks:
1) Kick the bag
2) kick the bag
3) kick the bag
4) kick the bag
5) kick the bag
6) kick the bag
7) Russian Twists/situps
8) Squats
9) kick the bag
10) kick the bag

Just throw as many kicks (with somewhat good technique) as you can on the heavy bag for power development, throw them in air for speed development, and throw them on pads (thai, focus, leg kick, anything human held) for accuracy/combinations/footwork

Just my $0.02, YMMV

Latest Discussions