Kick in general

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many kicks combination does your school teach and at what level with each kicks.

I'll start we teach white, the front and rear leg roundhouse and the front snap kick.
Yellow and orange belts start to learn the sidekick, axe kick and back kicks

I'll post more later when other people have a chance to give there replys.
Terry

T

Travler

My school saved the spin kicks for the orange and green belts but everyone else just joined in on the focus paddles with verbal coaching from the master. The jump in the water is fine approach seemed to keep the kids really into it and in three years there I saw now injuries to junior students.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Start at white, with combos that include front, side kicks and crescent kicks. Yellow and above do more advanced and focus on kicks from a solid chamber position......much like Bill Wallace.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The first school I attended, for both white and yellows(I didnt' go any higher than yellow), we learned the same kicks.

Front snap
Roundhouse
Sidekick
Spinning sidekick
Cresent kick
half moon kick
Jumping side kick

There were a few others we learned as well but didn't do as often so I don't remember their names. :eek:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kicks in combination could go on forever in number...

White/basic is introduced to round, front, step sidekick (breaking technique)
Although I remember being taught six kicks on the first day, including spin sidekick.

Gold-learn hopping kicks, front, round, side, axe, breaking is hopping side.

Orange -crescents in to out, out to in, breaking technique is the spin sidekick. 360 sidekick, 360 round

Green - mostly working on the spin heel (hook) as breaking technique, step hook, hopping hook, double front, double round, double sidekick

High Green - mostly working on the step hook for breaking, tornado roundkick, step hook-round, spin heel-round, twist kick, jump front, jump side, jump round

Blue - working on jump round for breaking, spin crescent, jump spin crescent, tornado crescent, double round same time

High Blue - jump backkick-breaking, 360 jump back kick, jump spin heel

Red - practice jump spin heel-1 hand holding-breaking, 360 jump spin heel, 360 jump spin sidekick
TW

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We start with White belts learning the basic kicks, front, round, side, hook. Then you pick up the rest along the way, by green you know
front, side, round, axe, crecents, jumps, spins, switch, and probably a few others..
Aqua

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
when I was studying the basic kicks where (for white belt) front, round, side, and spininng back ( or spining side)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't learn kicks by rank per se, But the beginners learn the basic kicks (front, round, side, cresent, back, hook). The advanced students (2nd gup and up) learn all the fancy kicks (jumping and/or spinning versions of the above). But they don't say anything if the students want to learn the fancy stuff early (which happens often hehehehehe).

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always went to class with my kids, who were always one rank ahead of me Thus I tended to learn my techniques a little 'early' from watching them and talking to them...

Which is something I woked very hard to avoid doing with forms under the principle that I had enough to concentrate on with my current form to be worrying about the next one

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well i really wasn't taught much about that, he just told me to make up my own combinations, but here's what i usually do. White belts - round house x2/front kick. Yellow belt - lead leg front kick/round house/axe kick. Orange belt - sliding roundhouse/spinning axe kick. Green belt - back kick/double round house, or axe kick/back kick. Purple belt - we start working on switch kicks, switch/round kick, switch/back kicks ect. Blue belt - 360/round house/ spinning hook, and i start working hard on their foot work at blue belt. Red belt - sliding front leg front kick/spinning creasent, and i think of combinations while their going along. Brown belt - we work on jumping to the sides, and countering with a round house/back kick.

Hope this helps lol.

Laborn

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask, what is a hook kick? This is a new term to me. Is it the same or like a half moon kick?

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Stand still look to your right or left, and do a side kick, then hook your leg in, that's a hook kick, but you swing it around.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I do things a bit differently. My students learn the front/round/side/back/ax kicks at white belt. They progressively learn the other kicks and variations (i.e. skipping/flying/jumping) but the thing I am more interested in is their footwork. I test them on footwork starting at yellow belt.

Miles

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right from the start, we learn all of them -except spinning, jumping, 360's, etc. The spins we start at yellow- side, back. Green- jumping front, spin crescent, spin hook (wheel), chasing roundhouse (or tornado if want). At green, we also do that spinning sweep.

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
focus on kicks from a solid chamber position......much like Bill Wallace.

could you expand a little on this, in what way do you train for a solid chamber.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
wynnema said:
could you expand a little on this, in what way do you train for a solid chamber.

Color belts learn technique (Chamber - execution - rechamber - return foot to floor). Each kick a it's own chamber position, I focus on that. And I know it sounds a bit weird, but the kick itself becomes secondary to the chamber and rechamber. That developes good habbits, for later down the line.

~Fluff

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yes I understand the need to break a kick down. I was thinking more along the lines of what exercises do you use to strengthen the chamber, or do you just do slow kicks, focusing on technique

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
wynnema said:
yes I understand the need to break a kick down. I was thinking more along the lines of what exercises do you use to strengthen the chamber, or do you just do slow kicks, focusing on technique

Slow kicks (tension) partner, wall and by themselves on the floor kicking up. Set up a couple folding chairs, put a kicking shield on them and execute tension kicks over it. 2 or 3 count kicks (1 chamber and hold, 2 kick, rechamber hold, 3 foot to the floor) or (1 chamber, kick, rechamber and hold, 2 foot to the floor)

Just a few ideas.

~Fluff

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
sounds good, I have recently incorporated slow kicks into my training to try and improve control. any more suggestions would be appreciated. we dont do anything like that at my school.