Kenpo Weapons

• Thread starter Chicago Green Dragon
  • Start date
C

Chicago Green Dragon

What are all the weapons that are a part of Kenpo ?

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

OP
E

Elfan

Your environment is everything in, on, an around you. It would seem best to use all of that to your best advantage.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your mind is the most reliable weapon. Besides that, everything and anything from spit to dirt, everything in your immediate area.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chicago Green Dragon
What are all the weapons that are a part of Kenpo ?

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

Well the point everyone is making is Kenpoists are taught to use what ever is at hand.

But, your question may be more geared towards what weapons are required or traditionally taught. Well that would depend on who's school you are at. Probably the two most common weapons taught are knife and Kenpo sticks (or Escrima sticks). Some Kenpo schools incorporate modified Filipino weapons training. We do tend towards the weapons that are practicle. So traditional weapons like nunchaku, sword, or other are not common.

By my black belt test, I was required to know knife, yawara (basically anything you can close your fist around and sticks out of both sides of your hand), club (heavier than an escrima stick), kenpo sticks, and handgun.

Hope that answers your question.

OP
E

Elfan

Traditional Kenpo weapons: sitck, staff, knife, cane, nanchuku(sp)

OP
S

stacks

the weapons in the Tracy Kenpo system that I teach are staff, spear, cane, butterfly swords and samurai sword aside from the the hand and foot (you have these weapons at your side at all times)

stacks :samurai:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With kenpo being designed primarily as a street applicable art, I suppose it's worth questioning the merits of spending time learning to use exotic weapons...isn't it?

Certainly there's nothing wrong with learning them for the sheer enjoyment of it, I love playing with weapons and I guess most of us do, but I'd rather concentrate on learning to use something that I could actually carry about my person, and then use to defend myself.

In England, you can't really carry anything that can be used seriously as a weapon (legally), which is why I concentrate on hand to hand and don't give much time at all over to weapons. I do think the traditional escrima sticks are worth getting to know though, because you can use loads of things in the same style (umbrella, rolled up newspaper, broken pool cue etc.). I'd like to learn those, but unfortunately we don't get taught them. I asked Mr. Cawood about it once, and he said 'they're just an extension of your hands', beat the crap out of a punch bag with a couple of sticks for half a minute, then carried on with what he was doing.

I can't make this 'extension of my hands' link at all though, and so I'm pretty clumsy with them! No FMA schools round here either :(

Ian.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
satans.barber

I agree that more stickwork would be of benefit. I find that stickwork helps my empty hands and I'd fook around for a partner and at least an occasional seminar in FMA.

As to other weapons I realize that it's hard to carry a knife in England but in my experience every kitchen has multiple potential weapns available, so I'd think more knife work would be extremely valuable. I'd think that supplimenting your training with some Cane work would work in an English enviroment also.

Respectfully,

Jeff

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since man's first implementation of tools and weapons ( around two thousand years ago ) in the quest for survival, two such tools/weapons have remained constant in their use, production and significance: the stick ( club ), and the knife.

We have a multitude of various tools and weapons of destruction ( along with a variety of legalities to address the carry and use of these ), yet these two will always remain the simplest, and therefore, most practical for personal defense ( self-preservation ).

First off, a stick can be found within a greater number of everyday objects. A knife is a bit harder to improvise, yet the chances of having a stick or improvised knife nearby is far greater than having a handgun near.

Or, in short ( without my soapbox episode :cool: ), simply the stick and the knife.

:soapbox:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

The reason people learned how to use the nunchukus, Kamas, Bo's, swords, and sai's is because they were the everyday tools that they had around. Nunchukus were used to beat the rice and grains to seperate the stalks or something like this. Kama's were used in a reaping fashion during the harvest. The bo was nothing more than a stick that the farmers put buckets on (one on each end) to help them carry things.

Since most of us don't use these types of tools on a day to day basis why learn them? Other than the joy of learning a TRADITIONAL weapon, this type of training doesn't offer us much in the way of self defense

I'm a big fan of the AKKI's weapons system, of which the two main weapons taught are the knife and club. Seeing as how these two weapons are readily available in most environments it would make sense to learn how to use them. Things like car antennas, metal hangers, kitchen knives, pvc pipe, clip knives, beer bottles, pool cues, etc. Heck even a half empty 20 oz plastic coke bottle will do some damage if you shake it up, the expanding gas will make the bottle solid as a rock and voila.... instant whacking stick. If you really get desperate you can take off your belt and use it like a whip (with the buckle being the tip). I saw a guy get thrashed with this at a bar one night.

If you are truly interested in self defense than these are the things you should be learning. If you are merely studying the art, then have fun with the traditional weapons.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that basic knowledge of martial arts weapons should be implemented. At least to know a little something about various weapons and how to use them. Of course I'm not talking about being able to carry around a Sai everywhere you go to defend yourself but just an idea on how to manuever it is nice.:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In EPAK, in the Self Defense Division of our art... you will discover that there are 4 methods of attack {Infinite Insights Book 1, page 46}.

1) Unarmed (You) vs. Unarmed
2) Unarmed " vs. Armed
=======================
3) Armed " vs. Unarmed
4) Armed " vs. Armed
:rolleyes:

Most of the beginning curriculums contain the first two categories, but to be a "complete" Kenpoist...... you also need "Armed" skills as well {which is usually at the advanced levels for obvious reasons}.

The choice of "Arms" of course is up to you........ but I personally encourage every thing from the Yarawa stick to the gun, with swords, staffs, spears, knives, clubs, throwing stars, kamas, nunchaku, ash trays, chairs, forks and on and on........ thrown in-between.

Not only could you learn and use weapons...... You NEED to. There are many lessons learned ..... distance is one.

:asian:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
EXTREMEJ_AKKI posted: Since man's first implementation of tools and weapons ( around two thousand years ago ) in the quest for survival, two such tools/weapons have remained constant in their use, production and significance: the stick ( club ), and the knife.

That's funny, I was pretty dang sure that at the dawn of the first millenium AD, the Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese, oh and EVERYBODY else had figured out tool and weapon use. 2000 BP is already the iron age, you better start looking well before that.

Maybe you meant two HUNDRED thousand years ago?

Homo erectus was walking around making hand-axes and controlling fire, but that form of human has been kicking around since 1.5 MILLION years BP.

Regardless, your point is true regarding weapon/tool use, though your dates are way way off.

Lamont

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Regardless, your point is true regarding weapon/tool use, though your dates are way way off.

Lamont [/B]

Ack!!! You're absoluely right....ug....my mind was stuck on JC's birthday for some reason.....

I suppose that's what I get for posting with a raging headache. :shrug:

Thanks for the correction! :toilclaw:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always loved training with weapons of any sort and I've always tried to justify my use of the time to train with them by telling myself that I can use the basic techniques with the weapons to augment my open hand techs and to feel more comfortable with weapons of opportunity (i.e pool cue, tire iron, cheater bar on a flatbed, broken chair leg as a tonfa). I also believe that working with traditional weapons helps to instill discipline and a sense of "completeness" to your training.

OP
R

roryneil

Aren't we mainly training not how to use these weapons but rather how do defend against them?

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by roryneil
Aren't we mainly training not how to use these weapons but rather how do defend against them?

Both. Why shouldn't we train to use such weapons? Kenpo is many things, yet it is built on the need for survival; this is the very reason I tell new students that I don't teach self-defense, I teach self-preservation.

I've heard many Kenpoists refer to the knife as the ' equalizer. ' And I'll be honest, against 3 or more guys who have every intention of taking my head off, I've no qualms or hesitations about pulling my SpyderCo and putting some folks down. It's a terrible thing to say, yet it's all about survival.

As I said, American Kenpo can be many things; however, the root of it's implementation and development is survival.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by roryneil
Aren't we mainly training how to "defend" against these weapons -not how to use them ourselves?

At the lower levels (beginning stages) of the art YES. As we advance however, we should become aware and enhance our skills also to be able to "use" weapons that our hands may carry. :samurai: Keep in mind, they do not have to be used in offense but rather can be used defensively as well. You also can gain skill with something and be prepared to use it and never have to.
"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail".

Here we have yet another example of the saying: To thoroughly understand the effects of motion,you need to examine opposites and reverses.

:asian:

OP
P

pineapple head

I always carry a large buch of keys around with me with one large key if i want to swing it.
Useful weapon i think.

Latest Discussions