Kenpo Techniques

OP
G

GouRonin

I've seen this site. It has some good stuff on it. I give it a thumbs up.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well there the whole question about what is the "right way." :)

But I did notice that his right foot seemed to adjust before stepping away with the left, which seems a bit of a wasted motion, also he didn't check the opponents arm with his left as he went in with the right handsword.

But I just learned this tech, so what do I know. (I'm working out with an AK guy this winter....)

Salute,

Lamont

OP
G

GouRonin

Is the one that pulls your fat out of the fire and works at that moment. Heh heh heh...

But there is always the "ideal environment" concept.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Is it that he didn't re-cock his kick before he, steped into the hand sword strike?? He landed right after the kick.

Do I get a prize? :D

Of course as the others said, a proper technique is whatever saves your tushy in any given situation.

Dot

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chambering your kick and rechambering after the kick is wasted motion and disengages your body from your action only to have to re-engage. The kick should occur from point of origin after the mechanics of the tech are learned and developed, as should the planting of the kick after execution.
Mace :asian:

OP
B

Big Guy

Watch the hands and think about wasted motion and floating:eek:

OP
G

GouRonin

Hey guys/gals, just curious, do you have any Kenpo techniques that you like to string together?

For example, I like to mix up scrapping hooves and squeezing the peach. After the first technique I like to launch into the heel kick and elbow and use the rebound from the elbow to start my cross out away.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I like Delayed Sword into Five Swords. Inserting the kick into five swords after the initial block.

Any ideas or comments?

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,
I like the five swords with delayed sword and will also throw on a version of shielding hammer I picked up. Its alot like fatal deviation to give you an idea, after the 1st chop in FD but without the forward twist. A favorite blend of mine is hooking wings into bow of compulsion with the extention, it just rips. Also shield and sword up to the hammer fist into circling destruction is fun. Another one that rips.
Mace

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

I love starting with either delayed or thrusting and then going into triggered salute, five swords and then finishing the with crossing talon with the extension, ending with the compound wrist and elbow locks.

Another one I like is starting with mace of aggression, begging hands, snaking talon and again ending with crossing talon with extension, ending with the compound wrist and elbow locks

What can I say? Maximum devastation with minimum retaliation is my game

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Rob_Broad
I like Delayed Sword into Five Swords. Inserting the kick into five swords after the initial block.
Any ideas or comments?

I finally had the chance to try this full out the other day. Didn't work. The kick to the groin brought him down too far for the rest of 5 swords and then I had to knee him in the head Muay Thai style with my left knee.

Well...I didn't "have" to.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

I finally had the chance to try this full out the other day. Didn't work. The kick to the groin brought him down too far for the rest of 5 swords and then I had to knee him in the head Muay Thai style with my left knee.

Well...I didn't "have" to.

Well, if you were working on me you might have gotten to do the rest of Five Swords.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You might get your chance at Big Guys this August...

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

His right arm doesn't remain in a checking position after the block

It looks like it does to me. Yet you're more qualified than I, so I
have to be missing something here. Can you go further into this
to help a newbie out?

Originally posted by KenpoGirl

Is it that he didn't re-cock his kick before he, steped into the hand sword strike?? He landed right after the kick.

I was never told to re-cock the kick, were you? This is interesting
to me, because a lot of people here keep saying that MOST of us
all do the base techs the same way. I was told that by not
re-cocking the kick, it helps with the application of marriage of
gravity and will make your handsword impact a lot harder.

Originally posted by Blindside

Well there the whole question about what is the "right way." :)

You'll get no argument from me there! Seems there's a ton of
people with a LOT of experience can't even agree on that! Which
validates my argument in the Kenpo differences - standardize or leave alone? thread.

Originally posted by Blindside

also he didn't check the opponents arm with his left as he went in with the right handsword.

Again, it looks like he does to me. His hand is checking low, to
protect from a hand or leg attack (although if someone can kick
after getting their gnads smooshed they're more man than I).
If I'm wrong, then can someone tell me what a check is? I was
assuming the hand up, allowing for deflection or blocking was
a check. But if a check is ONLY like that used in Deflecting
Hammer, where physical contact is required for it to be a true
check, then I need to re-evaluate ALL of my techs. :(

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by kenpo3631
Well, if you were working on me you might have gotten to do the rest of Five Swords.....
You might get your chance at Big Guys this August...

Cripes! I have to kick you in the nutz to bend you over just so I can talk to you.
:rolleyes:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
quote: Originally posted by Blindside...also he didn't check the opponents arm with his left as he went in with the right handsword.

The problem is in the terminology. The left hand is used as a "cover" not a "check".

Checking implies you are making contact somewhere or inhibiting your opponent's actions somehow. You are not doing that with your left hand in Delayed Sword.

Your hand is in position in anticipation of an unintentional or intentional strike.

People tend sor some reason tend to forget the reaction of their opponent. "Ideally" (and that's what that video clip shows), your opponent should bend at the waist from being kicked in the groin. (Remember the rule? When working inside the centerline, cancel their height zone.)

So... "ideally", your left hand will not make contact with your opponent.
:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by kenpo3631

The problem is in the terminology. The left hand is used as a "cover" not a "check".

Checking implies you are making contact somewhere or inhibiting your opponent's actions somehow. You are not doing that with your left hand in Delayed Sword.

Your hand is in position in anticipation of an unintentional or intentional strike.

People tend sor some reason tend to forget the reaction of their opponent. "Ideally" (and that's what that video clip shows), your opponent should bend at the waist from being kicked in the groin. (Remember the rule? When working inside the centerline, cancel their height zone.)

So... "ideally", your left hand will not make contact with your opponent.
:asian:

Okay, so what the defender in the clip is doing, is COVERING,
and not CHECKING, correct? He does it the way I do it, btw,
which is why I'm so curious.

Latest Discussions