Kenpo Technical Forum

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chiduce
So, this technical discussion sub-forum is only for American Kenpo? What about the other kenpo styles?Chiduce!

It reads "Kenpo Technical Forum" - what are you talking about?

As for myself and other kenpo instructors which are not american kenpo practitioner's; even though we may be in the AK lineage.

Please explain....... How can you be in the AK lineage an not an American Kenpo practitioner? I realize today in this "eclectic" era that many cross train and blend, but if you utilize AK techniques or general mode of movement as a base and consider yourself "Kenpo". then what else could you be but a hybrid of Kenpo?

I'am sure that our limited input would basically be of no value technically. Should there also be a "other kenpo technical-sub-forum"? Chiduce!

Another statement I don't understand? Do you feel you have limited input with no value? If that is the case ......... why would you want another forum for limited technical value?

Our techniques etc, are somewhat similar, yet we have entirely different, ideologies, concepts, methods, and technical aspects of our styles!Sincerely, In Humility;Chiduce!

I'd be interested in what you consider different:
ideologies
concepts
methods
technical aspects

Please edify us.....

:asian:

C

Chiduce

1.) I asked that question due to the topics pertaining to american kenpo techniques only in which i saw posted. I see now also that they have not changed much in diversity, even now.
2.) The style of kenpo which i learned, study and teach is not american kenpo; though the instructor trained in American Kenpo under Jay T. Will. Dragon Kenpo only builds upon the American Kenpo tailoring principle. This is the only similarity of the 2 styles. Some of the DK schools borrow from other AK principles and even adapt the AK short forms within their styles. "Dragon Kenpo was derived from Shaolin Kung Fu", to quote it's founder!
3.) I'am not saying that i have limited input in kenpo; just that i have limited input in the style of American Kenpo Karate. I think this also explains the next question.
4.) You listed them all pretty much. Your AK system is based strictly upon the infinite insights of Grandmaster Ed. Parker; your system and it's base is completely laid out and those basics engraved in stone. After the basics are learned in Dragon Kenpo we are free to explore beyond it's surface value of just techniques and defenses to help bring about change and evolution to the style. There is Tiger Style, Jeetkune Style, Kosho Ryu Style, What is called American Dragon Style, Black Dragon Style, Taijutsu/Combat Dragon Style, American Freestyle Style, etc, of our system today. Each style different from the other, some using all of the original techniques, and others using most, and still others using a few out of each belt rank within the original system. So, yes sir; we are different, our motion comes from chinese kung fu as well as karate, jujitsu and boxing. In my black dragon style, we use stationary and moving hard and soft qi gong motion for skills improvement such as push, rollback, pulling, following, adhereing, etc,. So, our system of kenpo, is only similar to yours in it's tailoring principle and that is it, besides the borrowing of say the equation formula and 3 phase conceptuality. You say feather's, and we say fingers. You say thundering hammers and we say defense against an attack from behind, etc,. You say contact manipulation and we say jujitsu. You trace your lineage from Parker back to Master Chow; we trace ours back to Mitose, to Shaolin. We also use terms like twin motion, compound striking, etc. So, we may be a some sort of hybred system of the AK family, yet we are free to forever change and evolve on our own from our true derivative of shaolin kung fu!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and say that the Tech forum is open to any kenpo/kempo style. Personally, I think it would be interesting to compare techniques and see how they differ, and how they are the same.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Has the division proved useful?

Personally, I first thought it would be a really good idea but as time goes on... it really is a pain to go back and forth between the two....... but that is just my personal opinion.

I think returning to the original concept works better. imho but not my will but the will of the majority.

S

SingingTiger

In my opinion, the division is a good idea, but the volume doesn't really support it.

Rich

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotta give it some time....its a bit new.

I figured with the 100+ techniques in Kenpo, plus the variations between organizations, schools, lineages, etc that it would really take off. Bit slower than I'd hoped, but still... ya don't master Long 4 in a few weeks either. :D

I got some ideas to get it moving..just depends on my work flow and time. We had a 'technique of the week' thing sorta going...anyone want to pick it up and run with it?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last 3 techniques I tried kind of flopped so I gave up. If you notice I consitently worked it every week starting at delayed sword.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saw that...was a good start... maybe do 1 per month? I dunno.... to be honest, I do see the tech forum running at a lower volume, as its more serious, and more 'tech' orientated...and thats ok. Its more of a resource and exchange of info, ya know? :asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Personally, I first thought it would be a really good idea but as time goes on... it really is a pain to go back and forth between the two....... but that is just my personal opinion.

I think returning to the original concept works better. imho but not my will but the will of the majority.

Yep, it's cause they're WAY TOO MANY IKKO PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM!

They leave no scraps for us Tracy people!:soapbox:

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by arnisador

Has the division proved useful?

I think yes and no.

Yes in a sense that you can look at specific forms or techniques or compare differences and the many similarities and its a home for it.

But it limits you to technical talk about the subject. In case you havent figured out by now I like to have fun (as do many others on here) and "feel" things.

On the techinacl side of it, if your too restrictive or constrained on the concept you are speaking about you dont feel free to "feel" what is being talked about.

I do think it has a purpose and was a good idea. But I think I really enjoyed this forum when it was all in one area. It was easier to browse instead of going back and forth. If you didnt want all the chit chat or the bonding I guess it still might be the answer for that person. Me personally I wish it would go back to one forum.

E

Elfan

I like the split myself. I have no problem with topics in the tech forum wandering but at least its nice to have the tech ones start in the same palce. Combining the two would work for now but if we get many more user I think a general kenpo forum would become much more dificult to manage for those who dont' come 2+ times a day.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpos the largest section of MT at this time. One of the largest reasons why we did split it was to make it a little more managable, and allow those seeking just the 'meat' of things to more easily find it. In the process, we relaxed things a bit more on the Kenpogeneral forum.

Merging the 2 is not an option at this time.

G

GouRonin

I want to see the write ups for "Threading The Weasel" and "Punching The Dragon."
:rolleyes:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember asking Mr. Conatser how he managed to keep up with all the posts, and reply, on MartialTalk as well as the other forums he frequents. It was the old dreaded Kenpo "Secrets" - so I set out on a journey of my own.

After lots of research, I found another browser called Mozilla, which opens multiple tabs instead of new windows when opening a link. From the "New Posts Since Last Visit" you can open all the "Kenpo" pages at once and read at your leasure.

Mozilla is not new, and a lot of my IT and programmer friends already used it. It is a lot less trouble to open multiple tabs to "last message viewed", and then browse through the tabs to keep up.

I am using Version 1.1 now, and it has been extremly stable and lean. It also limits pop up windows with the corrects settings. I use another email program, and often when not on a forum, use another browser. Version 1.0 is still out there and I used this for several months before upgrading to V 1.1. Anyone interested in experimenting, and who knows something about installing software can review this free browser at:

http://www.mozilla.org

I take no responsibility for what this does to your machine and other browsers, as you must correct the settings to keep it from becoming your default browser or email client. It is no problem if you know how to undo this and import or export bookmarks and address books, etc. from other email or browser programs. I like it a lot and am using it more and more at work and home. Besides, a lot of the viruses targeted for Microsoft products just don't find an executable file here. No guarantees that you won't get a virus, but it limits exposure that targets Outlook address books, as does Netscape (same group of developers - they just left and did their own thing.) The engine they use is the same one used in Netscape 6 or 7 (Gecko I believe.)

-Michael
UKS-Texas

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Billings, would you please repost this in Support and in Computer Support? It seems like great advice!

Latest Discussions