Kenpo Sticks

Originally posted by Stick Dummy

Tess,

I have a nice little piece of solid LEXAN 1 1/4" diameter x 18" long that should just about do the trick........:erg:

Keep'em "waltzing" till Thursday oh-tay?

Get the feet moving and the rest follows. :D one - twothree one-twothree

ohhh Pete... that sounds like just the ticket.. :EG:
Seig's sleeping right now.. Kept him up all day and he just gave up.. *chuckles.. Testing went Just dandily.. missed you there..It was a good workout and nobody left undrenched with sweat.. Seig even broke down and turned on the a/c~!!
We had a BB stop in who wanders in every once in awhile.. he did a short Sword Kata.. very nice~!! :asian:
I'll keep everyone Waltzing and see you Thursday~!! one-twothree one-threetwo.. errr.. Oh bother.. I'm hopeless. ~!!:confused:

Originally posted by Rainman

Depends on what you are doing and how you are doing it. For chokes and butte strikes possible so. If 2 inches are left from hand placement down that only leaves 15 or so inches to the tip. Ever get knuckle busters?

:asian:

Yes I have some knuckle busters, I think I'll invest in some longer ones now, thanks.

:asian:

Originally posted by KenpoTess
Seig even broke down and turned on the a/c~!!

Tess/Seig,

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? and this AFTER I showed you'all the "cheap" way to Air-"Condition" students......:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thats almost as good as a brisk swim in Lake Metro:lol:

Klondike,

Choking up on the sticks (especially longer ones) seems to work well for me.

The fist height extension works great for Punyo's, thats FMA for buttstrokes/strikes, and some other possibilities.

More importantly, from what I've seen and felt, it allows you to keep your opponents weapon further away from you- A GOOD THING!:D

Hey, Stick Dummy!!! Can I place an order for some of those, too? I am really intrigued, and I think that those sound really, really nice!!

Currently, I have a couple of sets of sticks. I have a pair of the bamboo/rattan, a couple of thinner rattan that are wrapped in colored electrical tape (alternating white and black, so they look neat when whizzing around), a pair of the foam ones (for use with lower belts), and a pair that I made from a heavy oak rod. All are fun, but I would love to add to the collection....

Also, I came upon this link that you guys might find interesting. This person has sticks made from high impact plastic, the kind that the canopy of fighter planes is made from......they look like they may need to find a home in my collection as well.....

Stickman's Sticks

Let me know what you think!! And Stick Dummy.....if you would be willing to help me out, I'll provide you with measurements and anything else you might need!!

Peace--

Tonbo,

My "main" set of sticks are a set of 26" HITS from Stickman I keep in a JSP Bladerigger stick case.

They ROCK!

Light, fast and totally benign looking to most folks.

Whoops, I forgot the 3 "standard" ways to check sticks for fit,
is from armpit to joint of forearm & wrist,
armpit to base of middle finger,
or even armpit to the tip of middle finger.

We have one dexterity drill where you rotate the sticks horizontally at shoulder level, and if they are too long you tend to catch yer schnazola or chin.:erg:

The 1" to 1-1/8" diameter for about right for my hand size, but have used some "Mongo" (as in Blazing Saddles) sticks up to like 1 3/4" diameter.

I'm still trying to master the art of twirling two pieces of 26" long 1" steel pipe which is for building strength and power...........

Originally posted by Stick Dummy

Tess,

I have a nice little piece of solid LEXAN 1 1/4" diameter x 18" long that should just about do the trick........:erg:

Keep'em "waltzing" till Thursday oh-tay?

Get the feet moving and the rest follows. :D one - twothree one-twothree

Hey Pete.. Thanks~!! Perfect fit too.. Gee now I know from my armpit to wrist is 18" *chuckles.. But ummmm I got one stick and you gave Seig 2..~!! Pfffts.. sure mine won't ever break.. but Pete~!! 2 ??? Just teasing.. They will be fun to work with.. I had a good time sparring you tonight.. I learned Stuff.. ~!! Thanks again.. and come back soon.. :D

Tessmania One twothree.. One threetwo... harumphs :)

But ummmm I got one stick and you gave Seig 2..~!! Pfffts.. sure mine won't ever break.. but Pete~!! 2 ???
I got two because you ahve not yet learned independent motion!:angel: J/K Seriously, thanks Pete, they're fantastic and I will have hours of fun terrorizing people with them. Heck, I may even learn how to use them!:D

Originally posted by Seig

I got two because you ahve not yet learned independent motion!:angel: J/K Seriously, thanks Pete, they're fantastic and I will have hours of fun terrorizing people with them. Heck, I may even learn how to use them!:D

Just kidding my eye~!!!
Good thing I'm not taking affront to the truth.. hahaa..
Pete.. the school is doomed with Seig armed with 2.. methinks some lessons are in order for me.. but I'm pretty dyslexic.. and coordination drills are really tough on me.. well you've seen me .. *g*
Maybe I just better keep it up my sleeve an' use the force :)

I never personally cared for the lexan sticks. The vibration on
the couple that I've used is a bit more drastic than the wood
ones, and the sound they make upon impact of other sticks, lexan
or wood is quite a bit louder than wood.

What I would LOVE to see are some made like a bocan (sp?)
for kendo practitioners. So they can absorb some of the shock,
and you can pad up in a football helmet and sparing pads and
beat the tar out of each other.

GD7,

Lexan comes in a black and clear/transluscent from what i have seen.

Kirk,

Lexan louder than wood? Not my HITS and myself and five other VERY SERIOUS sticko'philes could discerne no additional vibration, even against a Tapado, Shinai, and assorrted Bo staffs.

Bocote would be Kewl, (I use it for knife handles) but I don't know if it has the necessary strength for full contact abuse.

Tess,

Remember to play some SOOTHING WHALE MUSIC when you practice and B-R-E-A-T-H-.........

SIG oops Seig,

Glad you like them, and hope you get some time to practice soon

Mr. C.

I ordered a pair of the white waxwood from Century. It goes with the rest of the spear, staff, 2-headed spear waxwood that I have. I cut them down to the dimensions for Kenpo Sticks (that you shared earlier), then I lightly oiled them with some tongue oil. I love these!!! They are strong and flexable enough give not to crack, but also light enough to move fast.

I have several sets of sticks, kokobolo, purple heart (smaller diameter due to weight), Brazilian rosewood, hickory, rattan and a set of black walnut. The cheapest course was the broomstick years ago, but those gave up the ghost pretty fast. I like the walnut dowel from the local hardwood store. They have stood up well, but do show the use. The rosewood, kokobolo, and purple heart show no marks of use, and they have been.

Intrigued by the idea of lexan ... never thought about it. Way cool!

For training with contact does anyone use the CPVC (hot water pipe) wrapped in A/C insulation and the ever-present duct tape? They have a lot more flexibility than the PVC sticks the JKD people use in our school. They are not as good at leveraging and takedowns or controls, but the fear of accidental injury goes way down. Especially in the beginning students who are afraid of a little whap!!!!!

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Accidental Injury:erg:?????? heehee

My club uses rattan and while the welts may be a bit errrr annoying, they go away after a while.

A good match usually has both participants showing a "few" marks, the most annoying are the divots with the tip of the stick which leave a kinda comma looking thingee wheer they hit.

bottom line you learn not to make mistakes, laugh when you do, and try to do better the next time around.....................

Seig, e-mail me for a shopping list, Busy Sunday???? take about three hours to get you ready to rock n roll

Back