Kenpo Popularity

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Everyone is so quick to want to change the core material. [/quote]

Its been 10 years since i studied Kenpo, i went all the way to green belt. These days i look back at what i was told, i dont laugh at it, i just dont get it, i mean, its supposed to be all bad ***. but i just dont understand why i would want to grab this way or that way, or let fly with a 'backknuckle' when i could more readily sink in a reverse punch/cross and go through bone...*shrugs*

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Please expand on your comment so I can understand. Is there a specific technique you are making reference to? What type of Kenpo?

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
Please expand on your comment so I can understand. Is there a specific technique you are making reference to? What type of Kenpo?

No, no, specific SD im pointing out, just a generalzation. Im saying i dont get why i would sequence in certain ways 15 moves in advance, its just beyond me, thats what im saying, i dont understand why its set up the way it is. It seems as if there were an aweful lot of awkward grabs and an aweful lot of back knuckle strikes is all, thats why i point them as an instance. I Studied Wilde Kenpo under Jeanette Wilde and Mike Anderson in the mid 90's.

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:
No, no, specific SD im pointing out, just a generalzation. Im saying i dont get why i would sequence in certain ways 15 moves in advance, its just beyond me, thats what im saying, i dont understand why its set up the way it is. It seems as if there were an aweful lot of awkward grabs and an aweful lot of back knuckle strikes is all, thats why i point them as an instance. I Studied Wilde Kenpo under Jeanette Wilde and Mike Anderson in the mid 90's.

let me follow up by saying i mean no slight on kenpo and there are things that can be gleaned from it but i just dont understand their particular sequencing is what im getting at... =) thats why i say its over my head, i must not understand whats going on completely, all i see are the moves and in a lot of the SD's they dont always make sense to me...

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never thought you were slighting Kenpo at all. Not even for a moment. Different subsets of Kenpo do different things. This is my second time around in Kenpo. This time I am starting to get it. Starting to see where the techniques are related and certain concepts and principles.

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps not a lot past the sequencing was shown to me at the time, i may be void on a lot of why this and why that. May have been the student teacher relationship...I later studied under others from other systems and 'got' a lot more from a lot less material in sheer volume...

Latest Discussions