Kenpo Patch Collection..........

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea why there's no dragon, it just made me chuckle when I saw there wasn't one! I'd not seen that patch until the other day, because although it's our official one it's not on any of our uniforms at the moment.

The kanji on teh image aren't clear, but they're the same as the ones down the left of the other club logo, which I have scanned and attatched as an image - can anyone read them?

Once I get hold of it we're going to see about getting some proper cloth patches made, which we don't have at the moment. Our whole uniform ordering system is a bit of a mess, but my instructor told me the other night that he's having a year off (nice timing I know...but it's not his fault), so me and Dave are taking over the running of the club and we're going to try and get the ordering running a bit more smoothly if we can.

Also, after talking about club colours, Sensei Cawood has now decided we're going back to red bottoms and black tops, like it used to be, which only makes this ordering situation even harder (we'd just found a source of good quality, black trousers!).

Ian.

Attachments

• $kanji.jpg
    $kanji.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 289

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hi barber!
the writing reads "spirit of the drgaon and tiger" but there is no dragon on the patch,hence, dennis's statement!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I should have checked to see if it was that really! I can recognise the 'Kempo Karate' kanji, but not those ones by sight.

I think there is a dragon above the kanji, but it's so tiny I can't see it properly. I shall have to have a closer look when I get the proper graphic on disk.

Ian.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dear Ian,
there is indeed a tiny dragon atop the kanji of the crest. tiny dragon and BIG TIGER!
LOL!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
I got hold of ours. Notice the ironic lack of a dragon, hehe!

I've touched this graphic up by hand (for the new website), looks a lot better now! What a tedious job though! :

Attachments

• $bkra.gif
    $bkra.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 272

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cannot attach file...logic and memory failing...danger Will Robinson!

New at this (and it shows),
Randy Strausbaugh

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
And here is my school's patch from the early 80's...
What is the meaning of the first Kanji in your patch? I have seen it in "Secrets of Chinese karate" as well. Thank you.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe the characters form "kai shou", "to open the hand". This is used to signify teaching. At least if memory serves. Please correct me if it does not.:asian:

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My patch. :)

Edit: Explanation is 14 pages long, suffice it to say every part has multiple meanings. Trademark pending final stages with USPTO. :)

Attachments

• $umasdapatch2006.gif
    149.6 KB · Views: 253

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
My teachers Patch
duncansma_sm.gif
The colors are slightly off- the mountain top is gray and there are three colors in the sky.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My schools first patch, rarly 70's, and todays patch.

Attachments

• 102.8 KB · Views: 240
  • $Mr C Web.jpg
    $Mr C Web.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 232

jamz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, what are patches for? Are they only in nen/mpo, or do other styles wear them? Do you have to wear them?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So, what are patches for? Are they only in nen/mpo, or do other styles wear them? Do you have to wear them?

The patches tend to indicate individual schools, lineages, or organizations. Mr. Parker had a fairly elaborate patch system that he laid out, and many of his students have continued in that tradition, others of his students don't. Our school is very informal about patches, those of us who wear them usually just wear a single school patch.

I would say most systems out there that wear a dogi have some sort of patch or embroidery.

Lamont

Clapping_tiger

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is a work in progress, I am not happy with how the wording on the bottom looks so will probably change that, but here is a patch I am working on for our uniforms.
patch.jpg

Any input would be great, but keep in mind my skills as a graphic artist are pretty much nill.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a picture of our new school patch design. A very good friend of mine developed it for us. The first ones should be hot off the press in a few weeks- we are in the process of ordering them.

25jgoly.jpg

Latest Discussions