OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zoran said:
This is essential if we are to keep up with the times. As long as you address it, you are moving forward. Believing your system doesn't need to address it, will leave you in the dust. For example, my instructor is not a ground fighting expert, and as he's in his mid 60's will probably never be one. However, he does realize the need for it so he takes advantage of outside sources and his black belts to help incorporate it into the system. We have some very good people now in that department, like Keith Hackney who runs his own MMA school.

WOW!! Seems like I find myself agreeing more and more with people here, and this is just another of those times!!! The above sounds like something that I, as well as others like OFK have been preaching for.....wow..how long??? LOL

One thing to keep your thoughts on is that ground fighting, for the most part, is a form of sparring. Try to focus on what would be the best for self defense on the street. While staying on the ground and trying to get a submission is a good training tool, it should not be the focus of ones training. Fighting from the ground can get you in a lot of trouble in the real world (getting kicked in the head by someone else for example). Also, it can require a large amount of time to get someone in a submission hold and for it to take effect. I usually have a personal 5 second rule. If it takes longer than that, then there is something wrong and I need to re-evaluate my methods.

Again, my thoughts exactly!

Mike

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MJS said:
WOW!! Seems like I find myself agreeing more and more with people here, and this is just another of those times!!! The above sounds like something that I, as well as others like OFK have been preaching for.....wow..how long??? LOL

Yes, I know, I've been watching and you all have had quite a bit of grief for it. I figured once everybody calms down, maybe I'll jumb in. Truthfully, we've had ground work for a very long time and I'm sure others have also. Since the UFC, we've slowly been working towards a decent curriculum and training method following sound self defense principles. As Kenpoists, we do not wish to become another MMA school as Kenpo is not about competition. Kenpo's history, starting from Hawaii, has always been about logic and what works. Why change that now.

But thank you to all the trail blazers. :asian:
That took the brunt of all the fire. :mp5:

Latest Discussions