kenpo names...

G

GouRonin

Recently I had a conversation with a guy and we spoke about Kenpo techniques. He asked why they had all these wild sounding names? Why? Because it's a code of sorts to help remember all the techniques. (They do sound kewl though)

For example, in the yellow techniques I posted there was a tech called "Alternating maces" in which the hands alternate with fists (maces) at certain points.

Do any other systems use this type of anology or are they basically another language, ie - japanese in Judo, describing what you are doing?
:confused:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Some of the kung fu systems have a coded language for some of their techniques in their forms. The Okinawan/Japanese system normally just say what the basic movement is, i.e. Gedan Barai Uke -- Low Block.

The coding in American Kenpo is much more consistant that the coding in Tracy's Kenpo, and Shaolin Kenpo just numbers their techniques.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Recently I had a conversation with a guy and we spoke about Kenpo techniques. He asked why they had all these wild sounding names? Why? Because it's a code of sorts to help remember all the techniques. (They do sound kewl though)

For example, in the yellow techniques I posted there was a tech called "Alternating maces" in which the hands alternate with fists (maces) at certain points.

Do any other systems use this type of anology or are they basically another language, ie - japanese in Judo, describing what you are doing?
:confused:

Most traditional simply describe the action using their terminology. Our Meathodology in modern American kenpo comes from the Chinese who described techniques and movements with flowery analogies. ie: "Dragon whips his tail" for a spinning sweeping leg tech.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started to come up with a list... maybe you all could help me fill in the ones I'm missing?

Branch = leg
Crane = one leg stance
Hoof = foot
Leaves = fingers
Mace = fist
Rod = gun
Salute = palmstrike
Storm = club
Sword = chop/handsword
Twig = arm
Wing = elbow

thx in advance

-Nightingale

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tai Chi and some kung fu styles do this and if you know the basics you often get an idea of the technique from the name. For example, if it's Monkey Steals the Peaches, you know it's a monkey stance/technique and that it's a technique aimed at the, uh, peaches.

OP
K

Kirk

Here's a summary of all that I have now .. can anyone add to
this??

Sword = Handsword
Mace = Fist
Storm = Club
Twig = Arm
Feathers = Hair
Branch = Leg
Salute = Heelpalm, push
Wing = Elbow
Gift = Handshake
Prong = Thumb
Talon = Wrist Grab
Pendulum = Downward motion Block
Ram = Tackle
Leaves = Fingers
Peaches = Testicles
Crane = one leg stance
Hoof = foot
Lance = Knife
Rod = Gun

"of the" = 2 man attacks
Plurals like "The Bears" = 2 man attacks

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Kirk

Here's a summary of all that I have now .. can anyone add to
this??

Sword = Handsword
Mace = Fist
Storm = Club
Twig = Arm
Feathers = Hair
Branch = Leg
Salute = Heelpalm, push
Wing = Elbow
Gift = Handshake
Prong = Thumb
Talon = Wrist Grab
Pendulum = Downward motion Block
Ram = Tackle
Leaves = Fingers
Peaches = Testicles
Crane = one leg stance
Hoof = foot
Lance = Knife
Rod = Gun

"of the" = 2 man attacks
Plurals like "The Bears" = 2 man attacks

Doom=kick
Death=neck attack
Darkness/Dark= attack from an obscure zone/moving to obscure zone
Sheild=block
Danger=breakfall/roll
Twins=two handed attack-offensive/defensive
Arrow=stance
Clouds=overlapping circles
Fan=inward/outward parry
Horizon=the ground
Danger=breakfall/roll
Compulsion=irrestable force

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Destruction = vs attacks from the left side of the opponent

OP
T

tonbo

Thanks to everyone for the continuing discussion on this...I greatly appreciate the "keys" to the techniques!!

Peace--

Latest Discussions