kenpo kids

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both of my sons (ages 8 and 10) are into kenpo and have been for over a year. They show no sign of getting bored and constantly want more.

I noticed their techniques have been modified to fit the kids for efficiency. The kids also do more ground work than the adults do and become adept with body rolls. I guess the instructors feel that because kids are much smaller than adults, more ground work is needed.

My sons always ask to watch me when I go at nights to practice at the dojo. (I sometimes wonder why they think its so fascinating to see their own mom work out...) Most of these evenings, I tell them to stay home with Dad and their sisters just to relax. That's so I can concentrate better during my training.

They also recently finished a 9-week extensive summer Kenpo Karate camp (all day 9 am to 3 pm). They have learned even more what it means to be a kenpo martial artist [and frankly, they are getting to be VERY good now with their moves]. Each week has a different theme. They learn basics and practice techniques associated with the theme, play training games, go on specific field trips, and a hike every Thursday at various places. There are Friday demonstrations to show parents what they learned that week. A BBQ comes after each Friday demo so the parents can socialize and kids just play. The final camp week was last Friday.

Now they are a bit disappointed we "have to" return to the regular twice-a-week after school practices with optional Saturday sessions. They will start reviewing what they've learned to refresh their skills and go into more depth.

From what I can see, Kenpo is for kids too.

We'll see how things go with their second year of training coming up....whether they would stay with it.

- Ceicei

T

Titan Uk

Some clubs do not have a junior class, when asked yet. The instructor stated that he did not have the patiences to teach kids as they do not understand.

Personally I think that is a poor excuses.javascript:smilie(':mad:')
javascript:smilie(':mad:')

Kids learn at a different level to adults. It is not easy to instruct them and at times I want to pull my hair out, what I have left.

4kicks is a very good start for ideas. Keep excerises short and try to introduce new ideas very month. Kempo style games are very good.

Mixed classes of junior and seniors are very difficult and need 2 or more instructors as we found out at our club, but seeing seniors in action also gives the kids something to aim for.javascript:smilie(';)')
javascript:smilie(';)')

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The majority of parents bring their kids to us to help their self esteem, get excercise, and learn discipline. The moves they learn will later be used for self defense, but that is hardly the focus with a 4 year old! The parents give us an incedible amount of positive feedback, see great things happening with their kids and don't consider it a waste of time, therefore, it is not a waste of time! Keeping it simple and fun is important for the kids and as the kids gain a skill they have a special sense of pride. Any instructor that does not understand the positive impact and important role that they have in the kids lives, or does not have a positive attitude about teaching them should not be teaching kids!
fortunately, we currently have a great staff that makes the program a success.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to make a clarification on my post. Regarding a "waste of time" Sure, enrolling your child in the arts is definately a positive thing. It is much better than having the child sit at home, watch tv, play video games, and eat candy. At least in the arts, they are making friends, getting exercise, attempting to learn self control,discipline and respect. However, I have seen many times kids walking into the school by themselves, and again leaving by themselves. You rarely see the parents, and then its these very parents that approach you and ask why their child is not progressing. Well, maybe if they spent some time watching their child, they would know about the problems they he/she might be having. The Inst. should not have to chase after the parents to discuss the progress of the student. Throughout my teaching, I have, many times had a parent say to me," Well, Joey has been a yellow belt for 8 months, and Brian, who started with him at the same time is an orange belt. How come?" I have also seen parents frustrated with the learning speed of their child, and they resort to taking them out of classes. They are often told, "Well, maybe when they are a little older, you can try again."

Looking at the students progression. You can show a 4yo something, have them train it for 10min and ask to see it, and they will, the majority of the time, still have a problem with it. The child will still, after the Inst. gets frustrated, get a stripe or promotion. IMO, this is doing nothing but giving the child and the parents a false sense of doing well.

I dont think it has anything to do with the Inst. lack of positive feedback. Instead, they are being up front with the parent, telling them that the child is not quite ready for something like this. Its unfortuante though in some cases, the dollar is more important than the reality that the child is not ready.

Mike

T

Titan Uk

Totally agree with the parent situation. They do get upset when they are informed that their kids are not up to speed for the next grading.
But they do not take the time to stay and watch what the kids are having problems with or how far they have progressed for themselves.

Sometime it just feels like a baby sitting service, so the parents can just go shopping or visit someone without the kids.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yep, we have had our share of the absent parents and its sad to see. we certainly also have our share of getting beat up by parents because their child isn't a blackbelt after a week of training!!
unfortunately it comes with the territory when you run a school.
There does become a point though when you finally suggest that another school might be a better fit for them!

Latest Discussions