statue of the crane

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Any kempo students know statue of the crane? I looked under search here and found nothing.

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jason, It's a form we need to know to get our green belts. One form is 2 kata and one is statue of the crane. You've never heard of it? Maybe my teacher fused it with something else. I should ask him. Ours is a blend of Shaolin, kempo and a little jujitsu I believe. I was hoping someone heard of this form. The fact no one does has me wondering.....

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I plugged in statue of the crane on the web and came up with kenso-ryu kempo. They do statue of the crane. Some web sites call it a kata.

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by rachel
Jason, It's a form we need to know to get our green belts. One form is 2 kata and one is statue of the crane. You've never heard of it? Maybe my teacher fused it with something else. I should ask him. Ours is a blend of Shaolin, kempo and a little jujitsu I believe. I was hoping someone heard of this form. The fact no one does has me wondering.....
Hey Rachel,
Statue of the Crane, sometimes referred to as Stature of the crane is practiced among Karazenpo Goshinjutsu students as well as Nick Cerio's Kenpo, Shaolin KeMpo and Godin's lineage of Chinese Kempo.
It is based on the Okinawan form Rohai.
If you have any particular question, please don't hesitate to ask.

Salute,

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by kenmpoka
Statue of the Crane, sometimes referred to as Stature of the crane

There is a bit of difference in just one word.

K

KEMPO DAVE

It is a fun form, much different from the katas and pinions you have received so far. (It would be like going from beginning math(+-x) to geometry). Enjoy it!!

K

kensen83

statue of the crane is my favorite form from shaolin kempo, the form i use dto always do as a kid in competitions, if anyone has questions on this form ill be more then happy to help out!

K

Karazenpo

Maltair said:
Anybody have it written down anywhere?

United Studios of Self Defense has a paperback handbook out that has this form amongst others, broken down pretty clearly and easy to learn. The book is not cheap though. Nick Cerio's Kenpo also has the NCK version in their 'Master's Text', again, it's done pretty well and easy to pick up. NCK version has been altered from Shaolin Kempo but still pretty close. Both have been radically altered from Rohai but the commonality with the Okinawan original is sequences of threes. Respectfully, Professor Joe Shuras

K

Karazenpo

jeffkyle said:
There is a bit of difference in just one word.

Hi Jeff, I tried looking into that the best I could. Gm. S. George Pesare taught it to Prof. Nick Cerio who in turn taught it to Fred Villari...........The spelling that is used is Statue, which does seem to be correct when you look at the actual translation. The form is derived from Okinawan's Rohai, Ro-meaning 'heron' or heron mark, although some have refered to this form as 'Crane on a Rock' I leave that translation to Shorin ryu's No Hi, for the most common translation for Rohai is 'Symbol of the White Heron' (I also found 'Vision' of the White Heron), so I suppose one could substitute 'Symbol' for 'Statue' and 'Crane' for 'Heron', hense, 'Statue of the Crane'. Rohai was originally brought from southern China to Tomari in Okinawa. I believe it was Matsumura who passed this from on. The Chinese Kung Fu art that resembles the original Hawaiian-derived kenpo is called the 'Singing Crane' system, which is an offshoot of the same White Crane style that influenced Goju ryu. I always saw a resemblance between kempo and goju. If our Hawaiian derived kenpo actually came from Okinawan Shorei ryu Kempo Karate which I personally believe, then this system evidentally had influence on the Shorei ryu style also. The White Crane system is a closer match to our kenpo/kempo than even the Five Animal style. Much of my reference material on this particular aspect comes from Brian Baxter, an extremely knowledgable senior of Kajukenbo who also holds a sandan in Tracy's Kenpo. Last I knew Brian was a 6th in Kajukenbo. Respectfully, Professor Joe Shuras

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo, I thought Professor Cerio used "statute" and not "statue",
at least that is what is in "The Master's Text". Is that a misprint?
I do usually hear the form referred to as "Statue of the Crane".

Thanks

K

Karazenpo

dsp921 said:
Karazenpo, I thought Professor Cerio used "statute" and not "statue",
at least that is what is in "The Master's Text". Is that a misprint?
I do usually hear the form referred to as "Statue of the Crane".

Thanks

Yes, that spelling or usage of the word is incorrect. 'Statute' refers to a law, decree or edict enacted by the legislature, ex. Statute of Limitations. Not fitting at all. Also mentioned above by ProfessorKenpo is a link to Shihan Mark Sheeley's Kensho ryu website. Sheeley was a long time student of Cerio's and if you notice he spells it 'statue'. 'Stature' could also be used and at one time I did use it for a little while but upon further research on 'Rohai' I felt 'statue' was correct. Looking back and to the best of my recollection, it was originally called 'Statue' of the Crane and I'm going back to the 70's.

K

Karazenpo

Karazenpo said:
Hi Jeff, I tried looking into that the best I could. Gm. S. George Pesare taught it to Prof. Nick Cerio who in turn taught it to Fred Villari...........The spelling that is used is Statue, which does seem to be correct when you look at the actual translation. The form is derived from Okinawan's Rohai, Ro-meaning 'heron' or heron mark, although some have refered to this form as 'Crane on a Rock' I leave that translation to Shorin ryu's No Hi, for the most common translation for Rohai is 'Symbol of the White Heron' (I also found 'Vision' of the White Heron), so I suppose one could substitute 'Symbol' for 'Statue' and 'Crane' for 'Heron', hense, 'Statue of the Crane'. Rohai was originally brought from southern China to Tomari in Okinawa. I believe it was Matsumura who passed this form on. The Chinese Kung Fu art that resembles the original Hawaiian-derived kenpo is called the 'Singing Crane' system, which is an offshoot of the same White Crane style that influenced Goju ryu. I always saw a resemblance between kempo and goju. If our Hawaiian derived kenpo actually came from Okinawan Shorei ryu Kempo Karate which I personally believe, then this system evidentally had influence on the Shorei ryu style also. The White Crane system is a closer match to our kenpo/kempo than even the Five Animal style. Much of my reference material on this particular aspect comes from Brian Baxter, an extremely knowledgable senior of Kajukenbo who also holds a sandan in Tracy's Kenpo. Last I knew Brian was a 6th in Kajukenbo. Respectfully, Professor Joe Shuras

I would like to make a correction here to my own post above. The exact composer (Rohai) is unknown though the kata was probably brought to Okinawa by Sakagawa, not Matsumura, although that's not been proved positive either. However, like I stated in the above post, the form was first found being practiced in Tomari. Professor Joe

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
rachel said:
Any kempo students know statue of the crane? I looked under search here and found nothing.
Interesting because I have heard this term, but never with regard to a "form."

Ed Parker Sr. spoke of this as a physical principle to add to your structural integrity arsenal. This is the beginning of where "Statue Principle" comes from.

It is a demonstration that requires you to stand on one leg, while someone using their entire body mass attempts to push you off balance and thus move you. Done properly a person should be incapable of moving you at all.

It is also the principle that gives structural integrity to a "cat stance" when moving rearward in conjunction with the very functional and effective "P.A.M." as recently discussed by Dr. Dave C.

I never considered there might be a "form" as well. Does this "form" emphasize structural integrity and is it demonstrated in some fashion?

K

Karazenpo

Doc said:
Interesting because I have heard this term, but never with regard to a "form."

Ed Parker Sr. spoke of this as a physical principle to add to your structural integrity arsenal. This is the beginning of where "Statue Principle" comes from.

It is a demonstration that requires you to stand on one leg, while someone using their entire body mass attempts to push you off balance and thus move you. Done properly a person should be incapable of moving you at all.

It is also the principle that gives structural integrity to a "cat stance" when moving rearward in conjunction with the very functional and effective "P.A.M." as recently discussed by Dr. Dave C.

I never considered there might be a "form" as well. Does this "form" emphasize structural integrity and is it demonstrated in some fashion?

Yes, Doc, it has three points to it where you jump back in a crane stance and hold it steady for the count of one-one thousand. Some call this form the 'unshakable balance of the crane'. It orignally is Okinawan Tomari-te's Rohai and we have it in Gm. Pesare's Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu, Nick Cerio's Kenpo and Gm. Villari's Shaolin Kempo Karate. All three of these related systems have modified the form to fit the perspective of the founder. Respectfully, Professor Joe

PS: Although Doc, I don't think there's anyone, that I know of anyway, that couldn't be knocked on his derriere while standing on one leg, lol.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
Yes, Doc, it has three points to it where you jump back in a crane stance and hold it steady for the count of one-one thousand. Some call this form the 'unshakable balance of the crane'. It orignally is Okinawan Tomari-te's Rohai and we have it in Gm. Pesare's Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu, Nick Cerio's Kenpo and Gm. Villari's Shaolin Kempo Karate. All three of these related systems have modified the form to fit the perspective of the founder. Respectfully, Professor Joe

PS: Although Doc, I don't think there's anyone, that I know of anyway, that couldn't be knocked on his derriere while standing on one leg, lol.
Interesting. Ed Parker Sr. always told me it came from Hung Gar and Splashing Hands and I recall seeing it practiced at GM Ark Wongs Kwoon in the fifties. As an aside, no one has knocked me over while demonstrating this principle - yet. :)

Latest Discussions