Kenpo/Kempo = Taijiquan/Tai Chi Chuan?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It has been said in another thread by someone claiming a great degree of EPAK knowledge as well as a personal relationship with Mr. Parker that kenpo (in general, though I suspect it may have been implied that AK in specific) is essentially the same as Taijiquan (a.k.a. Tai Chi).

Does anyone else hold such a theory, and if so can you support that theory with some form of explanation?

Thanks.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a riduculous statement to me, having trained for over 30 years, the last 23 in Kenpo.

It is a martial art, or can be, although many do not teach the martial application. The logical structure of Kenpo, while having it's root in the Asian cultures, progressed to a divergent point early in Mr. Parker's career. His vision, his logical, analysis of motion formed the art we currently practice. It is so far removed from Tai Chi Chuan Fa as to just be not in the same ball park.

Now guess what. I like Tai Chi. It is what it is, and there is nothing wrong with that. But to piggyback either American Kenpo on to that or to do the reverse, does not do either System justice.

Just an opinion, albeit a strong one.

-Michael
Kenpo-Texas.com

M

M F

I am not in the position to comment either positively or negatively to your question, but I would be very appreciative if you could point me in the direction of the thread you speak of. It sounds very interesting. Thanks.

Latest Discussions