Kempo vs. Kenpo.

K

Kimpatsu

There's no real semantic difference; the glottal stop "n" can also be pronounced as the plosive "m" in the middle of Japanese words. What then happens is that certain words adopt the "m" as convention; "shimbun" ("newspaper") is one such example.
Shorinji Kempo uses the "m" by convention, so we all use it for conformity. Other forms of kenpo choose to use the "n".
But there's no real mystery about it.
HTH.

T

twinkletoes

kimpatsu is correct about the spelling/pronunciation thing.

The correct way to romanize it in this case would be with an M.

What I have heard (and of course, this is only what I have heard) is that James Mitose started using the keNpo spelling to differentiate what he was teaching in Hawaii from more traditional styles.

As for the truth to either part of that (that he changed it, or that what he was teaching was/should be different) I can't claim to know.

~TT

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by twinkletoes

What I have heard (and of course, this is only what I have heard) is that James Mitose started using the keNpo spelling to differentiate what he was teaching in Hawaii from more traditional styles.

As for the truth to either part of that (that he changed it, or that what he was teaching was/should be different) I can't claim to know.

~TT
Both spellings are correct. Mitose always used KeMpo. The spelling of KeNpo-Jiujitsu (his book) was the publisher's mistake.

Salute,

K

Kimpatsu

That's an urban legend, as both Romanisations are written exactly the same way in Japanese: Œ–@

T

twinkletoes

That's an urban legend, as both Romanisations are written exactly the same way in Japanese:

I understand that we are discussing ONE word in Japanese that has TWO commonly used spellings in English.

I always thought that was sort of the point behind the story (even if it is false)--that it was the same word, but he romanized it differently so that people would see his product as different (even though he wasn't actually changing anything).

~TT

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

~TT

Actually, Mitose used the keMpo spelling. When William Chow, decided to leave their Martial Arts Club, he used the keNpo spelling to differentiate his system from Mitoses.

I have put a rather lengthy post on this subject somewhere else on Martial Talk.

--Dave

:asian:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mitose used the "N" spelling all through his book, even on later editions. Intros were added to later editions, so the retention of the "N" spelling could have been changed, but it was not. The addition of intros meant that the later editions were not "exact reproductions" of the original edition, so changing the spelling would not have been a preservation issue.

Mitose also used the "N" spelling all through his later book, "In Search of Kenpo". Same printer, same error? I don't think so.

If you run the word "Kempo" through the Japanese dictionary on the web, it comes up something like "incorrect romanization", while "Kenpo" is listed as a Chinese-based martial art.

My opinion (2% of $1): spell it as you choose, pronounce it as you choose, practice it as you choose. What the heck.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh

My opinion (2% of $1): spell it as you choose, pronounce it as you choose, practice it as you choose. What the heck.

Amen to that Brother!

--Dave

:asian: